John Amburgey Jr and
John Amburgey Jr b 1758 Rumsfield Parish Culpepper Co VA d 3 May 1831 Perry Co KY (now Knott Co KY); buried Carr Fork Memorial Cemetery, Brinkley, Knott Co KY; s/o John Amburgey Sr and Anna Unknown. John Amburgey Jr m. 3 Jul 1787 Roaring River, Wilkes Co NC to Elizabeth Hammonds (aka Hamons), b 1769 Surry, Wilkes Co NC d 1857 Letcher Co KY (now Knott Co KY), buried Carr Fork Memorial Cemetery, Brinkley, Knott Co KY; d/o Ambrose Hammonds Hamons and Ann Morgan. (1850 Letcher Co KY Census). John Amburgey Jr served as a private in the North Carolina Continental Line and fought in Revolutionary War at the Battle of Kings Mountain (according to his application for Revolutionary War pension, which was denied). Children of John Amburgey and Elizabeth Hammonds;
1. William Amburgey b 11 Sept 1788 Wilkes Co NC d 7 Mar 1873 Letcher Co KY; m. 17 Feb 1811 Wilkes Co NC to Lucy Franklin b 1878 Wilkes Co NC. Military Service; War of 1812. US Army, 5th North Carolina Detached Militia (Atkinson's Regiment), Capt. Ambrose Calton's Co, Private, Enlisted Feb 1814, Discharged 09 Mar 5.
2. Nancy Amburgey b 14 Mar 1790 d Russell Co VA; m. 17 Feb 1811 Wilkes Co NC to James Franklin b 15 Dec 1789 Wilkes Co NC d 4 Sep 1860 Russell Co VA; s/o James Franklin.
3. Ambrose Amburgey b 24 Feb 1792 Wilkes Co NC d 24 Sept 1875 Littcarr, Knott Co KY; m. 1819 Russell Co VA to Rebecca Francis b 23 Oct 1801 Castlewood, Russell Co VA d 5 May 1873 Littcarr, Knott Co KY; d/o Thomas James Francis Jr and Jane Hammonds.
4. John J Amburgey b 20 Jan 1794 d 5 Mar 1884 Russell Co VA; m. about 1818 Russell Co VA to Aily Grizzle (aka Grizzell) b 7 Apr 1798 Russell Co VA d 8 Sept 1887 Russell Co VA; d/o John H Grizzle and Elizabeth Hammond.
5. Rosana Amburgey b 17 Nov 1795 Wilkes Co NC d 19 Mar 1885 Knott Co KY; m. 20 Mar 1816 Russell Co VA to John Wesley Pigman b 18 Jan 1778 NC d 8 Mar 1884 Willard Branch, Knott Co KY; buried Pigman Cemetery, Mouth of Willard Branch, Knott Co
KY; s/o Leonard Pigman and Patience Thompson. (Other dates for John Wesley Pigman - b 15 Jan 1794 Russell Co VA d 8 Mar 1884 Knott Co KY).
6. Robert Amburgey (aka Robin or Ruben) b 27 Mar 1798 Wilkes Co NC d 1860 Letcher Co KY; m. 1822 Russell Co VA to Elizabeth "Posey" Fuller (aka Betsy) b Apr 1804 Castlewood, Russell Co VA d 1879 Letcher Co KY; d/o Jesse Fuller and Elizabeth Betsy Lea.
7. Humphrey "Umphrey" Amburgey b 26 Feb 1800 Wilkes Co NC d 1848 Perry Co KY; m. 5 Sept 1833 to Fannie Johnson b 1807 Yadkin Co NC d 1881 Knott Co KY; d/o Thomas Johnson and Philadelphia Carter.
8. Jesse Amburgey b 26 Apr 1802 d about 1810 Wilkes Co NC.
9. Wilburn Amburgey b 10 Feb 1804 Wilkes Co NC d 1859 Rowan Co KY; m. 1835 Perry Co KY to Elizabeth Francis b 30 Dec 1808 Russell Co VA d 1860 Rowan Co KY; d/o Thomas Francis and Jane Hammonds. Elizabeth Francis m. Unknown Reynolds.
10. Elizabeth Amburgey b 7 Jun 1806 Wilkes Co NC d 1851 Russell Co VA; m. 1824 Russell Co VA to Ezekiel Counts b 5/6 Jul 1805 Russell Co VA d 24 Jul 1871 Russell Co VA.
11. Mary "Polly" Amburgey b 27 Jul 1808 Wilkes Co NC d 31 Mar 1883 Rowan Co KY; m. 1830 Perry Co KY to Thomas Christian b 1807 VA d Rowan Co KY; s/o Thomas Christian and Margaret Rebecca Pine.
12. Quinteena "Tina" Amburgey b 17 May 1811 Wilkes Co NC d 1870 Letcher Co KY; m. 12 Dec 1833 Perry Co KY to Joseph Reynolds b 1805 Rockbridge Co VA d 2 Jun 1866 Letcher Co KY; s/o Thomas Reynolds and Phoebe Harrell. Note: this information listed here on the Thomas Reynolds and Phoebe Harrell connection is here only for my own research - although I have Joseph listed as possible son of Thomas Reynolds, please see Runnels Fork Website - by Phyllis Reynolds Goetz for her research findings on this family)
More About John Amburgey
In 1775, John Amburgey moved to Surry Co., NC. In 1777, he was in Wilkes Co., NC, as a planter. He served as a private in the North Carolina Continental Line and fought in Revolutionary War
at the Battle of Kings Mountain (according to his application for Revolutionary War pension, which was denied). 1814, moved to Castlewood, Russell Co., VA. 1826, moved to Carr's Fork, then in Perry County, KY, now a part of Knott County. He is buried in an unmarked tomb in the Carr Creek Memorial Cemetery because the original marker has deteriorated. (Information from "Kentucky Bibliographies Project for Knott County")