James Harrison Banks
and Lucinda Blair
James Harrison Banks b 8 Nov 1837 KY d 18 Mar 1926 Letcher Co KY; buried Banks Cemetery, Letcher Co KY; s/o William Banks and Nancy Haney. James H Banks m. 2 Jan 1855 (3 Jan 1856 according to a Mt Eagle Article of July 3, 1952) Letcher Co KY to Lucinda Blair b 17 Aug 1840 Cowan Creek, Letcher Co KY d 1 Jan 1920 Letcher Co KY; buried Banks Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; d/o John Robinson Blair and Elizabeth Harrison. Children of James Harrison Banks and Lucinda Blair;
L-R Back: Bill, John, Simeon, Lavina and Hiram T Banks. L-R Middle: Samuel, Patrick, Lula, Elizabeth, Rebecca, Nancy and Bill Banks. Front: James Harrison Banks and Lucinda Blair
1. Hiram Tyler Banks b 7 Mar 1857 Letcher Co KY
2. Elizabeth Banks b 25 Dec 1859 Letcher Co KY
3. Nancy Virginia Banks b 3 Mar 1861 Letcher Co KY
4. Lavinia Banks b 6 Apr 1863 Letcher Co KY; m. 1891 to Nathaniel Hale
5. Samuel Preston Banks b 2 May 1865 Letcher Co KY
6. William Bill Banks b 22 Jul 1868 Letcher Co KY
7. John Robinson Banks b 7 Feb 1871 Letcher Co KY
8. Rebecca Frances Banks b 25 Sept 1874 Letcher Co KY
9. Simeon Johnson Banks b 28 Aug 1877 Letcher Co KY
10. Martha Louise Lula Banks b 30 Sept 1880 Letcher Co KY
11. Mollie Banks b 21 Sept 1884 Letcher Co KY died at 8 months of age.
12. Nathaniel Patrick Banks b 18 Jul 1887 Dongola, Letcher Co KY
Mt Eagle, Whitesburg, KY
Thursday, July 3, 1952
Record of the J. H. Banks Family
James H Banks, son of William Banks and Nancy Haney Banks, was born on Kingdom Come Creek, Letcher County, Nov 8 1837. James' father, William Banks, had come from North Carolina with Henry Banks, James' grandfather, when a very young man. Henry setteled on Kingdom Come near Andrew Frazier's farm about 1800. Nancy Haney, James' mother, came from Scott County, VA., where her parents had settled after leaving Ireland.
James H Banks was married January 3, 1856, to Lucinda Blair, daughter of John Robinson Blair and Elizabeth Harrison Blair at her home near the head of Big Cowan. They were married by the Elder John A. Caudill in the presence of Isaac and Elizabeth Dixon. Elizabeth Dixon was a sister of James H. Banks.
Lucinda Blair Banks, was born August 17, 1840 and died Jan. 1. 1920. To she and James H. Banks were born 12 children, five of whom are living (on July 3, 1952); Nancy V. Bolling, 91, Eolia; William Banks, 84, Whitesburg; Rebecca Jones, 77, Little Cowan; Lula Jones, 73, Little Cowan; and N. Patrick Banks, 65, of Little Cowan. Deceased are Hiram T. Banks who lived to be 91, Elizabeth J. Banks, 71, Lavinia Hale, 29, Samuel P. Banks, 76, John R. Banks, 81, Simeon J Banks, 69, and Mollie Banks, eight months.
Of the 12 children, six were teachers in our public school systems. Lavinia taught school until she married Nathaniel Hale in 1891. Five of the sons taught for many years. Simeon J, Banks did not teach. He will be remembered as a deputy in the County Clerk's office for a period of eight years.