and Phoebe Lee
Robert Bates b 24 Aug 1825 KY d 25 Sept 1921 Letcher Co KY; s/o John Wallis Bates and Sarah Walthrop. Robert Bates m. Phoebe Lee b 1834; d/o David Lee and Sarah Taylor (or Martin Lee and Fanny Cook). Children of Robert Bates and Phoebe Lee;
1. William A Bates b abt 1859 VA; m. Martha Vincey b 1863
2. Martin Van Buren Bates b abt 1861; m. 8 Apr 1891 Wise Co VA to Mary E Lark b abt 1870
and Sarah C Lee
Robert Bates b 24 Aug 1825 Ky d 25 Sept 1921 KY; s/o John Wallis Bates and Sarah Walthrop. Robert Bates m. 3 Mar 1869 to Sarah C Lee b 1842 d 1927 Vicco, Perry Co KY; d/o David Lee and Sarah Taylor (or Martin Lee and Fanny Cook). Sarah C Lee m. 23 Jan 1909 Knott Co KY to Samuel Miles Cook b Aug 1850 Russell Co VA d about 1922 Lothair, Perry Co KY; s/o John Anderson "Ance" Cook and Drucilla "Ciller" Huffman. Samuel Miles Cook m. 6 Feb 1867 to (1) Clarinda Roark b May 1847; d/o James Roark and Elizabeth Mullins. Children of Robert Bates and Sarah C Lee;
1. Mary Jane Bates b abt 1856 KY; m. Franklin P Allen b abt 1854
2. Amanda Grazella Bates b 24 Dec 1869 d 25 Dec 1945; m. 27 Jan 1887 to John C Calhoun b 25 Jun 1857 d 17 Feb 1947; s/o Joseph Calhoun and Nancy Jane Kegley. Children of John C Calhoun and Amanda Grazella Bates; i. Maggie Calhoun b 30 Nov 1887 ii. Robert L. Calhoun b 16 Nov 1889 iii. Martin Van Buren Calhoun b 28 Oct 1891 iv. Nancy Calhoun b 13 Nov 1893 v. James M. Calhoun b 7 May 1896 vi. John C Jr Calhoun b 27 May 1898 vii. Garret Calhoun b 19 Nov 1900 viii. Elizabeth Alice Calhoun b 28 Jan 1903 Knott Co KY ix. Liza Calhoun b 30 Jan 1905 x. Joseph C Calhoun b 28 Nov 1906 xi. Maxie Della Mae Calhoun b 23 Jul 1909 xii. Cynthia Lillian Calhoun b 18 Sept 1914
3. Theophilos Garrett Bates b abt 1869 d 25 Jul 1884 Wise Co VA at age 15 years of Flux.
and Elizabeth Bentley
Robert Bates b 24 Aug 1825 Ky d 25 Sept 1921 Knott Co KY; s/o John Wallis Bates and Sarah Walthrop. Robert Bates m. 19 or 22 May 1888 to Elizabeth Bentley b 16 Dec 1870 Letcher Co KY d 6 Jan 1956 Letcher Co KY; buried Bates Cemetery, Colson, Letcher Co K; d/o Aaron Rice Bentley and Dorcas Hall. Children of Robert Bates and Elizabeth Bentley;
1. Robert Bobby Bates b 5 Sept 1888 d 1924; killed by his brother, Sam J Bates for which Sam received a life sentence, but served only a short time.
2. Eliza Bates b 2 Jan 1889 d 11 Feb 1969; m. 28 Jun 1909 Letcher Co KY to Ira Wilson Collins b 30 Jul 1891 Colson, Letcher Co KY d 15 Jun 1946 Letcher Co KY; s/o James Jasper Collins and Nancy Collins.
3. Henry Bates b 5 Sept 1892 d 1 Jul 1974; buried Seco, Letcher Co KY; m. Sept 1913 to Arminta Tolliver b 3 Nov 1901 Kona, Letcher Co KY d 9 Nov 1990 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; buried Whitaker Cemetery, Whitaker, Letcher Co KY; d/o Elliot Burton Tolliver and Henrietta Wright.
4. Ralph Booten Bates b 1 Apr 1894 Hindman, Knott Co KY d 18 Jun 1983 Letcher Co KY; m. Lizzie Ethel Kiser b 16 May 1907 d 2 Nov 1948; d/o James Kiser and Amanda Elizabeth Stidham.
5. Uriah L Bates b 25 Jun 1896 d 27 Oct 1979 Letcher Co KY; m. Oct 1933 to Connie Johnson b 1909; d/o Samuel Johnson and Rhoda Jane Slone. Thanks to Maxine Bates Quillen for corrections for this family. Daughter of Uriah Lee Bates and Connie Johnson; i. Maxine Bates; m. Male Quillen.
6. Jesse Bates b 27 Feb 1898 d 12 May 1980 KY; m. 12 Dec 1923 to Della Mae Stewart b 31 Mar 1907 Letcher Co KY d 3 Jun 1993 Letcher Co KY; d/o Thomas Marion Stewart and Cora Ellen Kelly.
7. Beckham Bates b 18 Feb 1901 d 19 Mar 1985; m. 29 Jun 1925 to Auda Everidge b abt 1905
8. Sam J Bates b 19 Nov 1902 d 30 Jul 1963 of gunshot wound inflicted during an altercation in which Sam Bates slapped Edwin Dearl Rowe and in an act of retaliation, Edwin Dearl Rowe pulled out a .38 and killed Sam J Bates with it. Same Bates m. (2) to Elizabeth Sowards (aka Souders) b 1906 who killed Sam's wife, Maxine by shooting her. Sam J Bates m. (1) to Maxine Unknown. (killed by his 2nd wife, Elizabeth Sowards aka Souders)
9. Joseph Joe Bates b 26 May 1904 d 26 Aug 1957 Letcher Co KY.
10. Lola Bates b 28 Mar 1906 Knott Co KY d 4 Sept 2006 Pinetop, Knott Co KY; m. 1928 to Roosevelt Honeycutt b 15 Feb 1902 Omaha, Knott Co KY d 18 Oct 1996 Perry Co KY; s/o Grant Honeycutt and Mary Ann Polly Stamper. Children of Roosevelt Honeycutt and Lola Bates;
i. Paulene Honeycutt b 1929 KY
ii. Grant Honeycutt b 1930 KY
iii. Sammy Honeycutt
iv. Jack Honeycutt
11. Tandy Bates (male) b 23 Dec 1908 d 26 Sept 1937 Letcher Co KY; m. Lonnie Bates
12. Manerva Bates b 8 Feb 1911 d 6 Jan 1983; m. (1) to James Curtis Holbrook b 1907 Letcher Co KY; s/o Jesse Adam Holbrook and Eva Victoria Addington. Manerva Bates m. Luther Hampton b abt 1907. This lady was my Mom's best friend.
13. Mildred Cleo Bates b 11 Sept 1912 d 25 Feb 1991 Fauette Co KY; buried Green Acres Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; m. 7 Oct 1932 to Martin Luther Baker b 24 Oct 1907 Letcher Co KY d 4 Jan 1999; buried Green Acres Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; s/o Thaddeus Lowry Baker and Rawsey Sergent.
Robert Bates was a captain in the 7th Cavalry, CSA. He was state representative from Letcher Co KY between 1880 and 1884. While serving as a state legislator, he pushed through the bill establishing Knott Co as a separate county from Letcher, Perry, and Floyd Counties.