| Home | Contact Us |

Hanes Peter Mey May



Tolbert Cecil May married Sept 17, 1929 at Winchester, Ky to Cordelia Tolin,
born Jan. 17, 1912, a daughter of William and Nora (Ogden) Tolin. They had one
child, Carolyn May, born Oct. 20, 1933 and deceased Oct. 21, 1933, buried at
Clay City, KY.

Tolbert Cecil May is a twin brother of Robert Trimble May.

Tolbert "Tollie" May and his wife lived with his mother, Jessie May, for quite
a while in Clark County, Kentucky. (Jessie May died in 1946).

They probably lived just outside Lexington when Tolbert died. (Can anyone help
me with the actual date and place of his death and burial?) His widow,
Cordelia Tolin May, survived him. (Can anyone help me with the actual date and
place of her death and burial?)

Living TOLIN

Corrections and additions are welcome.

522. Living MAY

Corrections and additions are welcome.


Mamie Eddie May married John L. Smith and they had two sons.

Living SMITH

Corrections and additions are welcome.

524. Living SMITH

Corrections and additions are welcome.

Living PAT

Corrections and additions are welcome.

Living SMITH

Corrections and additions are welcome.


Blanche May met William O. Chadwell while they were attending Eastern State
Teacher's College at Richmond, Kentucky. He continued as a teacher during the
years they were married.

Jessie Blanche May and William O. Chadwell were divorced when their son,
David Hatler Chadwell was about two years old. (about 1929).

Afterwards, she lived with her mother, Jessie Kelly May (Mrs. Hatler May) at
Pilot View, Clark County, Kentucky. She worked in Winchester, Kentucky.

SOURCE of DATA: Son, David Hatler Chadwell, of Louisville, KY. (2/94).


William O. Chadwell, born August, 1898, was a son of David Haines Chadwell and
Emma (Bowman) Chadwell.

William O. Chadwell met Blanche May while they were attending school at Eastern
State Teacher's College at Richmond, Kentucky. He continued as a teacher
during the years they were married. Afterwards, he went into the Army and was
in Patton's Tank Corp awhile before WWII. Later, he was a salesman.

William O. Chadwell remarried after he and Blanche May Chadwell were divorced.
He had a daughter, Judy Diane Chadwell, who was born on August 6, 1942 in
Shelbyville, KY. In 1994 she is living in Louisville, KY. She and her
half-brother, David Hatler Chadwell are "neighbors".

This information was given to me by David Hatler Chadwell, of Louisville, KY in
February, 1994.


I believe that Ernest Ward May (my Uncle Ward May) attended Pikeville College
in Pike County, KY before the family moved to Clark County, Ky in 1912. The
1910 Federal Census of Pike County, Kentucky, #112, shows WARD MAY as 20 years
old, Single, and "Teacher-Public school".

I do not know yet at what time his parents (A.P.W. May and Mattie Rebecca Burke
May) moved from Whitesburg, Ky back to Pikeville or Robinson Creek, Ky. The
1890 Federal Census might have shown where the parents were in the summer of
1890 just before he was born. Of course, the 1890 federal census was entirely
lost by fire. His son, Jack A. May of Mt. Sterling, Ky, told me that his
father was born in Whitesburg, Letcher Co., Ky.


Bernice Littleford Markham was the daughter of Jackson and Francis Amanda
(Oldfield) Litleford. She was a widow and the families had been
acquainted many years before.


Ralph Gordon May, Senior, died of pneumonia on Dec. 2 or 3, 1931. At the
time of his death, he had been an employee of the United States Post Office in
Winchester, Kentucky. He was born and reared in Pike County, Kentucky, moving
with his parents to Clark County, KY in 1912. He was a veteran of World War I.

If Ralph Gordon May, Senior was born in Pike County, Kentucky, then his parents
had moved from Whitesburg, KY in Letcher County, back to the old home area.

Ralph May died on Wednesday and his father, Ashbel Willard Patton May, had died
the previous Friday. Both died of pneumonia. (From the Obituary).

At that same time, Ralph Gordon May, Junior, also had pneumonia but recovered.


Jenny Belle Caudill was the daughter of James Caudill and Emma Peterson.


Lucien Irvin (Mother's Bible spells it"Irvin") May was a veteran of World War
I. He and his brothers went to Illinois to help pick corn for Ella Burke
Robinson's family. (Ella Burke was the half-sister of their mother, Mattie
Burke May). Lucien May eventually settled there, married and they brought up
their family at Cambridge, Illinois. Lucien and Florence spent many years of
retirement at Ellentown, Florida; and, in their last years lived in Oklahoma
City, near one of their daughters, Marjorie Ellen Stephens.


My father was in World War I. His honorable discharge includes the following
information: " Arthur W. May, 1555522, Corp.. Unasgnd, Last asgnd Co. "B" 7th Inf. Conv. 1611063.....is hereby honorably discharged...by reason of Expiration term of Service. Par. I.P.O. 239 Hdq C Z 2 KY 8-27-19--. Said Arthur W. May was born in Pikeville, in the State of Kentucky. When enlisted he was 21 years of age and by occupation a farmer. He had black eyes, black hair, dark complexion and was 5 feet, 10-1/2 inches in height. Given under my hand at Camp Zachary Taylor this 28th day of August, 1919."(7th Inf.,Third Div.)

He was in Co. G, 149th Infantry at Camp Shelby, Hattiesburg, Mississippi. He
went overseas on the USS Kaisereine Auguste Victoria, out of Hoboken, New

I have a notation that he was a Pvt. in Co. B., 7th Infantry, and later a Corporal.

His enlistment record states that he served in the battles of;
Battles, engagements, skirmishes, expeditions: Marne Sector, June 1-14-1918;
Champagne-Marne defensive, July 15-18-1918; Aisne-Marne offensive July
18-29-1918; ST. Mihiel offensive Sept. 12-16-1918; Meuse-Argonne offensive,
Sept. 26-Oct. 31-1918. (Some of his brothers (Ralph, Lucien, Ward) and his cousin, Ernest M. May, were in some of these same actions.) It states that Arthur May was gassed on October 15, 1918; that would have been in the Meuse-Argonne offensive. (I have a letter from the War Department that says he was treated from July 15 to August 19, 1918, gas, absorption of deleterous type, undetermined by inhalation; and, from October 12 to November 9, 1918, gas inhalation, phosgene.)
It states that his physical condition was "good" when discharged; that he was
single; and, for character: Very Good. It states that he left the United
States on June 12, 1918 and arrived in the United States on August 22, 1919.

That doesn't make a lot of sense as they had just said that he was in the Marne Sector offensive from June 1-14-1918. (I am unable to determine just when he left the United States but it certainly was NOT June 12, 1918!

It further states by rubber stamp: Bonus of Sixty Dollars and that a B.R.
Ticket has been issued.

So, it can be determined that he enlisted on Aug. 16, 1917 and had overseas
service at least from June 1, 1918 until Aug. 22, 1919...serving in the Army of Occupation after Armistice. (I remember him telling that he had to carry an 80# pack for over 100 miles!).

In one of the battles his cousin Ernest May was with him and Arthur saw that
Ernest was bleeding to death from a hip wound. Arthur saved his life by preventing Ernest from bleeding to death by packing the wound with both of their first aid kits and applying pressure and -- by refusing to advance until he went back to the field hospital. There, at the field hospital he asked the aid of a soldier there to help him go get Ernest on a stretcher and bring him back to the field hospital. That soldier refused "to go back up there". Arthur May made him go by drawing a pistol on him. After they got Ernest back to the hospital Arthur picked up his rifle and ran ahead to the front line. There he told a Lieutenant and told him what had happened. The lieutenant said "Well you are here now, join on in to battle." Fortunately, he was not court martialed or punished for this, and Ernest survived but had a plate in his hip for the rest of his life. I have a clipping that was taken from a letter to Ernest to his mother, Mrs. Hatler May and it states that Ernest took this injury in the battle at Verdun (France).

Seven years before Arthur's death at age 78 he was nearly helpless in a wheel
chair (condition undiagnosed); before that he had spent years using one cane,
then two canes, then a walker to get around. I felt great sympathy for this personwho had been so slender and agile and quick-motioned to be in a such a sedentary condition. He took it much better than I expected...his mother was a person with a very stoical attitude saying, "What cannot be changed must be endured".

My father, Arthur W. May, lost an eye on April 6, 1944. I was in the living
room sewing and Mother was in the kitchen waiting for my father to come in from milking and we would have supper.

It was dark of course The first thing I knew was hearing my father
calling from the kitchen, "Come do something for your mother". I ran in, could see that he was injured, and that Mother was in a state of near-collapse.

I called his sister, Mary May Smith, to get help from them. Bob Smith came out immediately and took us to town to the Guerrant Clinic and on to the
hospital at Lexington where he remained for a week. There was no way to save
his eye.

My father never quit the fields until nearly dark. That evening he wanted to
hurry in and hear a commentator, H.V. Kaltenborn, give the War News of the day because it was fierce in several areas. He did not turn on the barn lights, just let the cow into the barn, broke some ears of corn in her feed box. He always said that he and the cow both raised their heads up from that box at the same time. It's horn accidentally hit his eye.

He was 48 years old. He had always been "color-blind" which caused him to see the plowed ground and the green grass as the same brownish color. So, he had a severely disabling vision loss. With his depth-perception gone because of having monocular vision, he was unable to see grassed-over ditches, for example, and kept turning the mules, the mower, and himself over when he was on the side of the big hill he always called "the mountain".

Soon after that, he never drove a car again.

In many ways I am sure my father never got over the loss of the vision. -
Virginia May Rhoades (daughter).

His social security number was 400-52-2841.


Mary Bernice Tapp May is my mother. She preferred her middle name and went by it all her life. It was pronounced "Berniss", not "Ber-neece". Her birthplace, Ruckerville, and her first residence after marriage, Pilot View, are two little neighborhoods in the eastern part of Clark County, Kentucky.

My grandmother, Sallie Clay Ragland Tapp, had cut out a clipping
from the (Winchester Sun). It is not dated; however, it was before 1922
because my parents were married in February, 1922. In 1912, the family of
A.P.W. May and his brother, Hatler May, moved from Pike County to Clark County, Kentucky. Mayme E., Alice, Blanch, Ernest, Tolbert and Trimble May were the children of Hatler May. Clara, Mary, Lucien and Arthur May were the children of A.P.W. May. I will skip many names for brevity; but, some of the people there were friends until the end of their lives. (Noels, Rupards, Bushs, Powell, etc.)

Here is what the clipping says: " Miss Mayme E. May charmingly entertained a
number of her friends with a watch party (New Year's Eve) at her home Friday
evening near Pilot View. Those present were (note:PARTIAL): Misses BERNICE
TAPP, Alice and Blanch May, Clara and Mary May; Messrs Lucien and ARTHUR MAY, Ernest, Tolbert and Trimble May. All reported a fine time."

Like most people I would not know where to start or where to end in writing
comments for my mother and father. Bernice Tapp May was a wonderful cook, a
fine seamstress, and enjoyed growing flowers. She was never overweight and
seldom ill for any length of time. When she became 79 she was well into what
was apparently Altzheimer's disease and spent the last 14 years in a nursing home. She reached her 93rd year in January, 1995, "awake but unaware" as her physician describes her condition.

On Saturday, November 9, 1996, at 1:00 pm, shortly after I had left from my
visit with her, Mother died. The death certificate lists as the cause of
death: Alzheimer's disease. She went fifteen years and one week (from Nov.
1st, 1981 until Nov. 9, 1996) in nursing home care. For the last twelve
years of that time she did not recognize me and she had total custodial care.

As a couple, they endured one of the worst wars of our history, World War I;
and, as farmers, endured one of the worst droughts of Kentucky (and, national) during 1930-31; and, endured one ot the worst depressions in recent history, the World Depression of 1929-1940. They never stopped trying and they never asked for, nor received, help.

They taught me good values of responsibility and honesty. They were good

My Mother died at 94 in the Colonial Terrace Nursing Facility at Sebree, KY
at 1:00 pm Saturday, November 9, 1996. I had been with her at 11:00 am. She
was having difficulty breathing. She had been aware of almost nothing for
about thirteen years and had been in nursing homes since November 1981.. She
had not known me nor anyone else for these thirteen years. It was one of
the saddest situations I have ever seen. The only comforting thing is that
she seemed to feel no pain at any time.

She was prepared for burial at Pierre's Funeral Home in Evansville, Indiana
and taken to Scobee Funeral Home for funeral and burial in Winchester, KY.
She was buried in the Winchester Cemetery alongside the grave of my father and alongside her own mother and father and brother.


I have always loved the way the old newspapers wrote about things.
Fortunately, my grandmother Tapp was a clipper and saver!

An old clipping that my grandmother Tapp had saved (Winchester Sun, Feb. 19,
1922) tells of the "May-Skinner" wedding: "in an impressive ceremony, at the
home of the officiating minister, Rev. F. D. Palmeter, on Boone Ave., Friday
afternoon at 5:00 o'clock, Miss Clara M. May became the bride of Mr. Robert N.
Skinner. The bride looked charming in a dark blue costume with small black
spring hat and her lovely corsage was of pink roses and lilies of the valley.
The ceremony was witnessed by Miss Nannie Mae Quisenberry, Miss Margaret
Donahue, Mr. Oscar Ecton and D.A. Barrow, following which the wedding party
motored to Lexington for dinner at the Phoenix Hotel. After a short wedding
trip, Mr. and Mrs. Skinner will be at home at 122 Jefferson Street, Mr.
Skinner having furnished an attractive apartment for his lovely bride. Mrs.
Skinner who is the daughter of Mr. A. P. May, of the county, is quite pretty,
refined and possesses a highly cultural and lovable disposition. Mr. Skinner,
who is now employed at the local postoffice as city carrier, for a number of
years served with his brother, H. Clay Skinner, as assistant county clerk. He
won many friend through his courteous and pleasing manner. They have the
congratulations of their many friends and hearty wishes for a happy life."

Clara Mattie May Skinner died at 84 on February 3, 1983. Her obituary statesthat she was a native of Pike County, Kentucky and a member of the First
United Methodist Church (Winchester, KY). At the time of her death her son,
Kenneth W. Skinner lived in Chicago; her son, Leslie E. Skinner lived in Los
Angeles; and her son, Robert N. Skinner lived in Nashville. She had three
grandchildren: Melinda Skinner, Quilcene, Wash., David Skinner and Jeanna
Skinner of Nashville. Her sister, Mrs. Robert Smith, Winchester; two brothers,
Eugene May of Richmond, Ky and Lucien May of Oklahoma City, Okla; and several
nieces and nephews. Pallbearers were: Rankin, Donald and Billy Sherman Skinner,
Jack and Tom May, Robert Bruce Pace, Robert Bruce Pace, Jr., James Butler
Powell and Richard Eshleman."

My aunt Clara May Skinner and her husband, Bob Skinner were very appreciated by
me. It was always such a pleasure to visit the family. While I was in college
I had to ride the county school bus to get there. During icy weather, the
buses did not run and I got to stay in town with either my Aunt Mary or my
Aunt Clara. I loved those times! Clara and her husband, Bob, were both
hospitable, cheerful people.

Clara was a fine cook; and, excellent at crocheting. She crocheted many
fine lace tablecloths and bedspreads. She was cheerful and had a good sense of
humor. She had been a school teacher in her youth.


His obituary, Nov. 12, 1945, (Winchester Sun, KY) states: "Robert N. Skinner,
58, died at 1 o'clock this afternoon at the Clark County Hospital, following a
short illness. Mr. Skinner had served as a postman here for the past 24 years.
Before that he was deputy county clerk. He was a veteran of World War 1 (Note:
Navy), and was a member of the First Methodist Church. Survivors include his
wife, Mrs. Clara Skinner; three sons, Robert N. Skinner, Jr., who is in the
Army and is stationed at Camp Campbell; Leslie Skinner, who is in the Navy and
is stationed in California; and Kenneth Skinner, Winchester; a sister, Mrs.
Pearl Quisenberry, Clark County; and, a brother, W. F. Skinner, Madison County,
Ky. The body is at the Scobee Funeral Home." He was buried in the Winchester


Leslie Eugene Skinner was in the Navy in World War II, stationed in
California. He married Janet Arlene Eshleman, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs.
Reginald P. Eshleman of Santa Monica, CA on January 17, 1955. After their
marriage they were" at home at 1928 Hermosa Avenue, Hermosa Beach, California".
I have a wedding picture of Janet from the Winchester Sun and also a copy of
their wedding announcement. - Winchester (Ky) Sun.

Janet Arlene Eshleman Skinner had a brother, Richard Eshleman, who was also
married. Leslie Skinner's wife and Richard Eshleman's wife were both killed in
an automobile accident. Arlene Eshleman Skinner was pregnant at the time.
Neither of the men ever married again and spent their lives together. Richard
Eshleman sometimes accompanied Leslie Skinner to visits to Winchester, Ky and
has always seemed part of the "May/Skinner families". In his later years,
Leslie Skinner had arthritis and needed assistance to travel from his home in
California and to get around. Richard Eshleman was a witness at the wedding of
Kenneth Skinner to Mary Ann Werthman; and, he was a pall-bearer at the funeral
of Leslie's mother, Clara May Skinner in 1983.

My son, Patrick Rhoades, after graduate school, went to southern California forawhile and while there drove up to Los Angeles and visited Leslie. Les and
Dick graciously entertained him.

"Les" was one of my dear cousins and was a nice kind kid when we were
youngsters. They lived in town and when the ice and snow prevented the school
bus from running I would get to stay with my aunt Clara or my aunt Mary. I
loved to get to do that. - Virginia May Rhoades.

I was 4 years older than Les. He would come out to our farm and visit us
sometimes. I was an only child and always very excited when another kid would
visit. I recall one time when Les and I got carried away in a food fight and
that some mashed potatoes got on the wall somehow! I also recall that my
mother was not very pleased. I think Les and I must have been about 7 and 11
at the time.

All through the years Leslie would surprise me occasionally with a long
distance call from California. He would also call my mother, Bernice May, when
she was a elderly. He was a kind person. - Virginia Burke May Rhoades.


Corrections and additions are welcome.


Gene May loved horses. He had 5-gaited horses that he both trained and rode in Horse Shows. He was a wonderful rider.

He owned and operated a barber-shop in Richmond, Ky for many years. He was
always a nice and kind person to everybody.
(Source: Martha Rose May Powell).

They tell a story about me that I certainly can't remember. Before owning and operating his own barber-shop in Richmond, Ky, he was a barber at Winchester.
My uncle Ralph, Gene's brother, was a city postal-carrier in Winchester. One
day my mother took me to town to get Gene to cut my hair. Apparently I put up
such a fuss that my uncle Ralph, who was carrying the mail, heard me out on the street. He said "That's Virginia" and walked into the barber shop.

I recall that when Mother would tell about it she was still "put out" with me
about my behavior. (Source: Virginia May Rhoades).


Bess Cochran May met Gene May through his sister, Mary May (Smith), when they
all attended Eastern College in Richmond, Kentucky.

Bess May taught in the Richmond, Madison Co., Ky schools until she was 70 years old. (Source: Martha Rose May Powell).


Mary Elizabeth May was educated at Eastern State Teacher's College at
Richmond, KY and at Kentucky Wesleyan College, Winchester, KY. She taught
nine years in the Clark County School System. (Tress May Francis book).

My "aunt Mary" was a person who loved her brothers and sisters very much.
She was a "caretaker" of the mother and the grandmother of her husband and
cared for her own mother for many years. Then, as her husband, Bob Smith,
became disabled from diabetes she cared for him. She was hospitable and
cheerful with a great sense of humor. I loved visiting with both she and
her sister, my aunt Clara Skinner. Often when the roads were slick I got
to stay over in town with one of them which I enjoyed greatly. I was riding
the county school bus to college. Often, when the roads were slick and the
county schools were closed I had to stay in town.

At our 1997 reunion several of us were talking about visiting "Aunt Mary".
"Do you remember her biscuits, her beaten biscuits with country ham",
and many other things. She had a great sense of humor.


His obituary states:

"Robert (Bob) Smith, 61, of 363 South Main Street, Winchester, KY died at 5:15
a.m. at the Guerrant Clinic after a long illness. A native of West Virginia,
he was a Clark County farmer and had been Co-owner of the South Main Auto
Service with Y.B, Conkwright since 1931. He was a member of the First
Methodist Church. Survivors are his wife, Mrs. Mary May Smith, a daughter,
Mrs. Robert Bruce Pace, Winchester; a brother, Roy G. Smith, Frankfort, Ky;
three grandchildren and a niece."


"Bob" May moved with his parents from Robinson Creek, Pike County, KY to Clark
the Pilot View area of Clark County, KY about 1914 when he was a small child.
County, KY. He was the youngest child in this family.

When he was 22 and Cora Smith was 18, they were married. Cora's father had
come from Portsmouth, Ohio and purchased a store in Pilot View. Mr. Smith later
sold the store and returned to Portsmouth leaving Cora to close it down. She
was only 17. After marriage, Bob and Cora moved to Portsmouth, Ohio and began
a life of farming. It is said that Bob May was a good farmer.

At one time he worked for Marvin Stockwell at his farm in Jeffersonville,
Ohio (near Washington Court House, Ohio). Bob's sister, Mary May Smith
and family visited Bob and family numerous times while they were there.

Bob died in 1958 and as the years went by and as all his brothers and sisters
were deceased, everyone began to lost touch. But, in June, 1997 I found some
old notes I had made nearly twenty years ago from a conversation with our
Uncle Lucien May. Learning that the oldest daughter then lived in Union
City, Indiana, I located her and was again in touch with this family!


Cora Smith May is still living at June 19, 1997. The family celebrated
her 86th birthday in March. She lives with her son Ralph in Delaware,
Ohio which is near Columbus.

Cora Smith May died at 89 years of age in november, 2000. She was a long time member of United Brethren Church in Greenfield, Ohio. She was buried in Greenfield Cemetery. Services were at Murrays Funeral Home in Greenfield, Ohio.


I have a notation that Don May was in the Navy and living in Fallon, Nevada in 1978. There really is a Naval facility in Nevada - Quite a large one!

In his father's obituary (Aug. 17, 1958) he was listed as "at home,
Bloomingburg, Ohio". (The oldest child, Roberta, tells me that this should
be Greenfield, Ohio.)

His sister, Roberta Jean May Purdin tells me in June, 1997 that Donald
Jennings May is now retired from the Navy but still lives in Fallon, Nevada.
He assists with the care of his mother, Cora Smith May, who lives with another son, Ralph May in Delaware, Ohio.

Roberta also tells me that Donald May is a "very talented song writer and
guitar player and, that he also writes music". She tells me that" he
was one of the youngest known to make "Chief" in the Navy. She also tells
that Donald was awarded the Bronze Star in his naval service.

Donald May was first married to Rosa Linda Johnson. His second marriage
was to Alvina Munoz. They had no children but he raised three of his
wife Alvina's children: Alina Munoz, Dean Munoz and Cindy Munoz. Donald also paid for the rearing of three children in the Phillippines. (This information from his sister, Roberta Jean May Purdin).

His sister, Martha Joanne May Bryant tells me (Sept.,1997) that after Donald
retired from the navy he went to school and became an accountant.

At August, 1997, his address is 2905 Lone Tree Road, Fallon, Nevada 89406.
Phone (702) 423-3648. Donald May has passed away at February 3, 1999.

He was cremated and he hsad requested no services. However, the American Legion presented a memorial service for him later, awarding a plaque honoring him for his service and also the American Flag both sent to his mother.

Living MUNOZ

Corrections and additions are welcome.

376. Living MAY

Corrections and additions are welcome.


Corrections and additions are welcome.

544. Living MAY JUNIOR

Corrections and additions are welcome.

545. Living MAY

Corrections and additions are welcome.

| Home | Contact Us |