Alvin Hall and
Mary Polly Franklin
Children of Alvin Hall and Mary Polly Franklin: From Dan Mohn on Facebook, 25 Nov 2017: In honor of my mother, Esther (Hall) Mohn Corrello's 90th birthday earlier this week, I am posting this photo of her and her siblings, taken at the homeplace on the head of Thornton Creek abt 1937/38. Front row, L-R: Edwin Hearld "Edd" Hall (1922-2006); my mother Esther Hall Mohn Corello (1927- ); Alpha Levernia Hall Day (1925-2019); Opal Clarice Hall Holbrook (1919-2012); Back Row, L-R: Sarah Evelyn Hall Holbrook (1915-1989): Harve L. Hall (1913-1996); Lula Beatrice "Bea" Hall Nelson (1910-1995); James Floyd Hall (1908-1975). Not shown was the firstborn, Joseph E. Hall (1906-1907) who died as an infant. They were the children of Alvin Hall (1887-1974) and Mary Franklin Hall (1884-1989), who lived their latter years (from the 1950s on until they had to break up houskeeping) on Crafts Colly.
Alvin Hall and
Mary Polly Franklin
Source: Dan Mohn
Alvin Hall b 8 Aug 1887 Pike Co KY d 27 Dec 1974 Letcher Co KY; buried Evergreen Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; s/o Joseph Leonard Hall and Sarah Caudill. Alvin Hall m. Mary Polly Franklin b 23 Jul 1884 Letcher Co KY d 5 Jun 1989 Letcher Co KY; age 104 years; buried Evergreen Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; d/o Harvey G Franklin and Eveline Combs. Children of Alvin Hall and Mary Polly Franklin;
1. Joseph Elzie Hall b 18 Jun 1906 Letcher Co KY d 9 Sept 1907 Letcher Co KY
2. James Floyd Hall b 31 Jul 1908 Letcher Co KY d 26 Aug 1975 Letcher Co KY; buried Evergreen Cemetery, Whitesburg, KY; m. Delores Wampler b 21 Feb 1910 KY d 17 Aug 1967 Detroit, Wayne Co MI; age 57; d/o Gilbert Creed Wampler and Vina Webb. Delores Wampler m. Willard Adams b 12 Jul 1905 Letcher Co KY d 9 May 1929 Letcher Co KY; buried Webb Cemetery, Mayking, Letcher Co KY; s/o Benjamin J Adams and Lydia Kincer. Children of Willard Adams and Delores Wampler; i. Clynard Adams b 10 Dec 1927 Letcher Co KY d 19 Dec 1927 Letcher Co KY ii. Burtis Gene Hoover Adams b 6 Nov 1928 Mayking, Letcher Co KY d 9 Jul 1995 Lexington, Fayette Co KY; age 66; s/o Benjamin Adams and Lydia Liddy Kincer. James Floyd Hall m. after 1967 to Shirley Maggard Hart. Shirley Maggard m. Elijah Green Hart b 5 Sept 1898 Letcher Co KY d 14 May 1968, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; age 69; s/o Jonathan L Hart ahd Mary Jane Clay. Elijah Green Hart m. Jul 1921 Kona, Letcher Co KY to Lettie Craft ; d/o John P Craft.
3. Lula Beatrice Bea Hall b 29 Sept 1910 Letcher Co KY d 22 Dec 1995 Georgetown, Scott Co KY; buried Georgetown Cemetery, Georgetown, Scott Co KY; m. George Nelson b 26 Mar 1899 Chicago, Cook Co IL d 2 Jan 1987 Lexington, Fayette Co KY of massive stroke; buried Georgetown Cemetery, Georgetown, Scott Co KY; occupation, payroll clerk, bookkeeper Elkhorn Coal Company; s/o George Nelson and Gina Vejeefsen (Vernifsen?). Source: Dan Mohn.
4. Harvey Leonard Harve Hall b 22 Nov 1913 d 31 Jan 1996; buried Evergreen Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; m. Mildred Crase b 2 Dec 1920 d 14 May 2009; buried Evergreen Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY. Children of Harvey Leonard Harve Hall and Mildred Crase; i. Harvey Hall Jr ii. Henrietta Hall; m. Male Tenaglia iii. Donna Hall; m. Male Cullen iv. Nancy Hall; m. Male Daniels v. Kathy Hall; m. Male Fields.
5. Sarah Evelyn Hall b 22 May 1915 d 4 Mar 1989; buried Thornton Cemetery, Thornton, Letcher Co KY; m. Marvin Holbrook b 29 Aug 1911 d 25 Apr 1993; buried Thornton Cemetery, Thornton, Letcher Co KY. Children of Marvin Holbrook and Sarah Evelyn Hall; i. Norman Leo Holbrook; m. Jackie Harrison d 2013 FL ii. Avis Moran Bob Holbrook; m. Harriet Gayle Webb; d/o Raymond Webb and Hazel Craft. iii. Anita Zoe Holbrook b 8 Jun 1934 Thornton, Letcher Co KY; m. James B Jim Graham b abt 1934 Odd, Raleigh Co WV d 7 Apr 1991 Indianapolis, Marion Co IL.
6. Opal Clarice Hall b 15 Dec 1919 Letcher Co KY d 2 May 2012; Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; age 92; buried Green Acres Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; m. 4 Nov 1942 Columbia, Richland, SC to Robert Winton Holbrook b 14 Jun 1920 Farraday, Letcher Co KY d 4 Sept 2009 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY of lung cancer; age 89; buried Green Acres Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; s/o Abbott Holbrook and Clementine Tolliver. Child of Robert Winton Holbrook and Opal Clarice Hall; i. Sharon Holbrook b 8 Aug 1946 d 15 Mar 2011 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; buried Green Acres Cemetery, Ermine, Letcher Co KY.
7. Edwin Herald Edd Hall b 16 Jan 1922 Letcher Co KY d 12 Aug 2006 Lexington, Fayette Co KY; m. abt 1946 Letcher Co KY to Eunice Farley; d/o Carlos Farley and Eveline McCray
8. Alpha Levernia Hall b 13 Jan 1925 d 22 Jun 2019; age 94; buried Green Acres Cemetery, Ermine, KY; m. Argene Day b 11 Apr 1925 d 1 May 1970; age 45; buried Green Acres Cemetery, Ermine, Letcher Co KY; findagrave memorial 85709975. Children of Argene Day and Alpha Levernia Hall; i. Randy Day; m. Linda Unknown ii. Debra Day; m. Vance Blair iii. Shelia Day; m. Male Webb.
9. Esther Kathyleen Hall b 1927; m. Everette Earl Mohn b 12 Feb 1928 Thornton, Letcher Co KY d 10 Jul 1998 Lexington, Fayette Co KY; age 70; burial: cremated; s/o William Howard Bill Mohn and Jane Pratt. Esther Kathyleen Hall m. Frank Corrello. (Celebrating Esther's 90th birthday the week of 24 November, 2017 per her son, Dan Mohn). Children of Everette Earl Mohn and Esther Kathyleen Hall; i. James Earl Jim Mohn b 28 Sept 1948 Harlan KY d 15 May 2005 Shelbyville, Shelby Co KY; pancreatic cancer; m. Rebecca Doris Becky Boggs. Children of James Earl Mohn and Esther Kathyleen Hall; I. Richard Kevin Mohn II. Melissa Rhea Mohn ii. Danny Craig Dan Mohn; m. Sharon Virginia Gray. Children of Danny Craig Dan Mohn and Sharon Virginia Gray; I. Mary Kristen Mohn b 5 Oct 1977 Louisville, Jefferson Co Ky d 18 Dec 2015 Atlanta, Fulton Co GA; age 38; m. (1) Charles Tyler Smith. Mary Kristen Mohn m. (2) Michael Joseph Dellaporta the 3rd II. Erik Robert Mohn
More About Alvin Hall
By Dan Mohn, Grandson
Alvin Hall Occupation (Source - Dan Mohn): farmer and coal miner Letcher Co KY; Note: Alvin Hall worked as a coal loader for Elkhorn Collieries Corporation until he was pinned under a slate fall on 2 November 1939. The accident occurred in a mine at Farraday, Letcher County, KY. His Workmen's Compensation Board claim indicated that, at the time of the accident, he was paid on a tonnage basis, and he had earned approximately $90 every two weeks for his labors prior to the accident. As a result of that accident, which severely broke his foot, ankle, and spine, he was awarded a worker's compensation settlement in the sum of $1,200 for his total disability. He was a member of the United Mine Workers Union, District 30, Local No. 5810. In the years following his disabling mine accident, he worked a farm, first at the family home at the head of Thornton Creek, and then at his last residence on Craft's Colly. In December 1942 (during the Second World War), he and Mary were presented a Certificate of Achievement in the "Live-At-Home Program" of the University of Kentucky Agricultural Extension Service, for producing 75% of the food needed by the family during 1942.
Obituary: James Floyd Hall
31 Jul 1908 - 26 Aug 1975
James Floyd Hall, of Ermine, Kentucky, entered eternal life at Ermine, on Tuesday, August 26, 1975. He was the son of Mary Franklin Hall and the late Alvin Hall. He was born July 31, 1908, being 67 years, and 25 days of age at the time of his passing. In addition to his mother, he is survived by his wife, Shirley Maggard Hall, one step son, Burtis G. Adams, Knoxville, Tenn., two brothers, Harvey Hall, Detroit, Michigan, Edwin Hall, Ermine, Kentucky, five sisters, Lula Beatrice Nelson, Whitesburg, Kentucky, Evelyn Holbrook, Whitesburg, Kentucky, Loverna Day, Dongola, Kentucky, Ester Corella, Whitesburg, Ky. He was a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, Millstone, Ky.
Funeral Service: Thursday, August 28, 1975 at 1:00 p. m. Blair Funeral Chapel, Whitesburg, Kentucky. Officiating Ministers: Harold Kincer and Bill Craft. Pallbearers: Friends of the Family. Burial Will follow in the Evergreen Cemetery, Whitesburg, Ky. Blair Funeral Home, Inc. Whitesburg, Kentucky In Charge of Funeral Arrangements.
Obituary: Evelyn Hall Holbrook
22 May 1915 - 4 Mar 1989
Evelyn Holbrook, daughter of Mary Franlin Hall and the late Alvin Hall was born in Letcher County, Kentucky May 22, 1915. Evelyn entered eternal life Saturday, March 4, 1989 at the Whitesburg Appalachian Regiona Hospital, Whitesburg, Kentucky making her stay here on this earth 73 years, 9 months and 12 days. Evelyn was a faithful member of the Millstone Missionary Baptist Church. She is survived by her husband, Marvin Holbrook of Thornton, Kentucky., her mother, Mary Hall of Hindman, Kentucky. Two sons: Norman Holbrook of Greenwood, Indiana and Bob Holbrook of Greenwood, Indiana and Bob Holbrook of Franklin, Indiana. One daughter, Anita Graham of Indianapolis, Indiana. Four sisters: Bea Nelson of Georgetown, Kentucky Opal Holbrook, Esther Corrello and levernia Day all of Whitesburg, Kentucky. Also surviving are 4 grandchildren, 2 great grandchildren and a host of other relatives and friends to mourn her passing. Evelyn was preceded in death by two brothers: James Hall and Joe Hall.
Funeral Services For Evelyn Holbrook Will be conducted from the Everidge Funeral Home Chapel Whitesburg, Kentucky, Monday, March 6, 1989 at 3:00 O'clock P.M. Officiating Minister: Bill Craft. Active Pallbearers: Friends of the family. Burial will follow in the Thornton Cemetery, Thornton, Kentucky. Everidge Funeral Home 130 W. Main St., Phone 606-633-2201 Whitesburg, Kentucky In Charge of Funeral Arrangements.
Obituary: Harvey Leonard Hall
22 Nov 1912 - 31 Jan 1996
Harvey Leonard Hall passed away Wednesday, January 31, 1996 at his residence. Harvey was the son of the late Alvin and Mary Franklin Hall. He was born November 22, 1912 being 83 years, 2 months and 9 days of age at the time of his passing. Surviving are his wife, Mildred Crase Hall; 1 son Harvey Hall, Jr. of Livonia, Michigan; 4 daughters: Henrietta Tenaglia of Detroit, Michigan, Donna Cullen of Stephensville, Maryland, Nancy Daniels of Oakdale, Minnesota and Kathy Fields of Ermine; 1 brother: Edwin Hall of Ermine; 3 sisters: Opal Holbrook, Levernia Day and Ester Corrello all of Whitesburg; 11 grand-children and 3 great grandchildren along with a host of other relatives and friends to mourn his passing. Why do we mourn departing friends? Or shake at death's alarm! 'Tis but the voice that Jesus sends, To call them to His arms. In Remembrance: Harvey Leonard Hall.
Funeral Services For Harvey Leonard Hall Will be conducted from the Letcher Funeral Home Chapel, Whitesburg, Kentucky Saturday, February 3, 1996 at 1:00 O'clock P.M. Officiating Minister: Bill Craft Active Pallbearers: Family and Friends. Burial will follow in the Williams Cemetery Whitesburg, Kentucky. Letcher Funeral Home, Inc. Phone (606) 633-2284, Whitesburg, Ky. 41858 In charge of Funeral Arrangements.
Obituary: Everett Earl Mohn
12 Feb 1928 - 10 Jul 1998
In memory of Everett Earl Mohn. Date of Birth: February 12, 1928. Date of Death: July 10, 1998. Survivors Four Sons: James E. Mohn, Dan C. Mohn, David Eric Mohn, Howard Keith Mohn. One Sister: Tillie Johnson. Four Grandchildren, one great-grandson. Time of memorial service: Tuesday July 14, 1998 3:00 P.M. Place of memorial service Engle Funeral Home, Hazard, Kentucky. Engle Funeral Home, 301 East Main Street, Hazard, Kentucky in charge of arrangements.
Obituary: James Earl Mohn
28 Sept 1948 - 15 May 2005
The Mountain Eagle, Whitesburg, Letcher County, Kentucky, Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - Page 3: James Earl Mohn: Services set today for James E. Mohn. Funeral services for James Earl Mohn, 56, will be held today (Wednesday) at 1 p.m. at Shannonn Funeral Home in Shelbyville (KY). Burial will be in the Grove Hill Cemetery. Mohn died May 15 (2005) at his home in Shelbyville following a long illness. Born in Lynch, (KY) he grew up in Letcher County (KY), a son of Esther Corrello and stepson of Frank Corello of Whitesburg.
After graduating from Lees Junior College and the University of Louisville, he began a 32-year career with General Electric that sent him all over the world while living in New York, Ohio and Kentucky. He retired as president and CEO of GE Capital IT Solutions in 2001. Mohn served on the boards of the Kentucky Nature Lands Trust and the Hazelwood Treatment Center in Louisville. He was a former board member of Cleveland State University and the United Way in Cleveland. He was an elder at the Hudson (Ohio) Presbyterian Church and also supported the Graham Memorial Presbyterian Church inWhitesburg and other churches. Mohn was involved in Meals on Wheels, the Letcher County School Foundation, Brown Cancer Center, and the Louisville Zoo. He also funded numerous college scholarships for Letcher County graduates. Surviving in additon to his mother and stepfather are his wife of 37 years, Rebecca "Becky" Mohn; a son Richard Mohn; a daughter, melissa leeper; a sister, Myra Corrello, New Orleans, La.; a brother, Dan Mohn, Louisville; and two grandchildren. (Source: Dan Mohn).