and Mary Polly Giddens
Elijah Hensley b abt 1794 d abt 1879 Martin Co KY; m. 25 Oct 1818 Floyd Co KY to Mary Polly Giddens b abt 1794 d abt 1831; d/o Reuben Giddens and Nancy Stratton. Children of Elijah Hensley and Mary Polly Giddens;
1. William Hensley b abt 1820 KY; m. Nancy Miller b abt 1824 VA.
2. Abraham Hensley b abt 1825 Floyd Co KY d abt 1860 in the Civil War; m. 22 Dec 1848 Pike Co KY to Jane Ball b abt 1823 KY; d/o Moses Ball and Elizabeth Betsy Maynard.
3. Andrew J Hensley b abt 1826 KY; m. Mahulda Jane Varney b abt 1827 Pike Co KY; d/o Alexander Varney and Susannah Runyon.
4. Aaron Hensley b abt 1829 Pike Co KY; m. 28 Dec 1848 Pike Co KY to Martha Patsy Ball b 1828 KY; d/o Moses Ball and Elizabeth Betsy Maynard
5. Samuel D Hensley b abt 1831 Pike Co KY; m. 18 Mar 1857 Pike Co KY to Maranda Mary Ball b abt 1834 Pike Co KY; d/o Moses Ball and Elizabeth Betsy Maynard.
and Elizabeth Cox
Elijah Hensley b abt 1794 d abt 1879 Martin Co KY; m. 13 Mar 1832 to Elizabeth Cox b abt 1803 KY. Children of Elijah Hensley and Elizabeth Cox;
1. William C Hensley b abt 1833 Logan Co WV d 10 Jan 1883; m. 27 Sept 1855 Logan Co WV to Jane Parsley b abt 1839 Logan Co WV; d/o John Parsley and Jemima Mima Murphy.
2. Susannah Hensley b 1834 VA; m. 19 May 1854 Logan Co WV to William Ball b abt 1830 Pike Co KY; s/o Moses Ball and Elizabeth Betsy Maynard.
and Mahala Adams
Elijah Hensley b abt 1794 d abt 1879 Martin Co KY; m. abt 1836 to Mahala Adams b abt 1816 VA d abt 1869 Logan Co WV. Children of Elijah Hensley and Mahala Adams;
1. Matilda J. Hensley b Abt 1836 Logan Co WV
2. Elizabeth Bettie Hensley b Abt 1837 Logan Co WV
3. Sarah J. Sally Hensley b Abt 1839 Logan Co WV
4. Mary Hensley b Abt 1844 Logan Co WV
5. Martha J. Hensley b Abt 1845 Logan Co WV
6. Elijah Hensley b 22 Feb 1847 Logan Co WV
7. James R. Hensley b Abt 1849 Logan Co WV
8. Greenville Hensley b Abt 1852 Logan Co WV
9. Lewis Hensley b Abt 1857 Logan Co WV
10. Allen T. Hensley b 9 May 1858 Logan Co WV
11. Joseph Hensley b Abt 1861 Logan Co WV
Source: Joel Hager - firstname.lastname@example.org
Elijah was a Farmer. The Society of the war of 1812of Maryland was organized Sep tember 14, 1814. The Society was originally known as the "Defenders of Baltimore" Military Service, War of 1812, the Declaration of Elijah Hensley was held July 3, 1871, Elijah, a resident of the Sandy River area, in Logan County, West Virginia was 77 years old, his address was Warfield WV. Elijah was drafted at Cabell County Courthouse 1814; he was discharged September 1815.
Elijah Hensley, Sr. married four times, first to Polly Giddens, daughter of Rueben Giddens, October 25, 1818 in Floyd County, KY (Polly died 1831); Second to Elizabeth (Cox) Stotts, widow of John Stotts, March 13, 1832; Third to Mahala Adams, about 1835, Mahala died 1869 in Logan County, WV ; Fourth to Mary Phillips Macmillan, on August 8, 1869, in Pike County, Kentucky, she was 45 years old, Elijah was 75.
Elijah Hensley, Sr died 1879 in Martin County, KY
Elijah was on the 1820 census, Floyd Co, Ky., 1 male 16-25 ; 1 female 16-25
Elijah was on the 1830 census, Pike Co, Ky., 1 male under 5 , 1 male 5-10, 1 male 20-30, 1 female under 5, 1 female 20- 30.
Elijah was on the 1850 census, Logan Co, WVA, family 428
Elijah was on the 1860 census, Logan Co, WVA, family 698
Elijah was on the 1870 census, Logan Co. WVA, family 183
Elijah was involved in a chancery suit in which he was the Plaintiff and the heirs of Stephen Hensley were the Defendants. All the records of the suit are lost except the deeds made as a result of it.
These deeds were made in 1842 and the heirs named in the deeds are Nancy, (this is Nancy Farley, daughter of Capt. Henry Farley) the Widow Farley, who had married Pyrrhus McGinnis; Pauline the wife of James Williams; Sarah, the wife of William Hatfield; and Stephen Hensley, Jr.
Mr. Olafson, who researched the Stephen Hensley family in 1939, states that he had been told that Stephen Hensley Sr. had been married before, and that there were children from that marriage, among whom one was named Brewster, and possibly the Elijah mentioned in the suit. However, he states that he has not been able to verify this.