and Mary Emmaline Brummett
Littleton Hopson b 24 Apr 1835 NC d 1893 Wise Co VA; s/o Littleton Hopson and Disa McIntyre (or Hughes). Littleton Hopson m. 30 Aug 1855 Skeetrock, Wise Co VA to Mary Emmaline Brummett b 2 Nov 1837 Carter, Washington Co TN d 27 Oct 1924 Wise Co VA; d/o Cavender Brummett and Elizabeth Dean. Children of Littleton Hopson and Mary Emmaline Brummett;
1. Polly Jane Hopson b abt 1856 Scott Co VA d 1927 Wise Co VA; m. 17 Dec 1873 to James F Stallard. Polly Jane Hopson m. abt 1875 to Joseph Francis Stanley b 1854 VA d 1942 Dickenson Co VA. Children of Joseph Francis Stanley and Polly Jane Hopson; i. Anada Emaline Stanley b 17 Jun 1879 Clintwood, Dickenson Co VA ii. Noah L Stanley b abt 1883 VA iii. Ollie Bethanna Stanley b 1890 Dickenson Co VA iv. James Alexander Stanley b 1891 Dickenson Co VA v. Rosie Alice Stanley b 21 Mar 1893 Clintwood, Dickenson Co VA vi. Roxie Allen Stanley b 10 Dec 1895 Dickesnon Co VA vii. Mary Magdalene Stanley b 1897 Dickenson Co VA.
Email from Teresa Hemmings: Joseph Francis Stanley and Polly Jane Hopson were divorced, I'm not sure when. All of the children stayed with him. He was an elder in the church and the court awarded him full custody. My grandmother, Rosie, said that her mother had to sleep in the woodshed if she came to visit them, because her father wouldn't let her in the house. Someone had told him that she had been unfaithful to him and so he divorced her. In later years, before she died, he said he was sorry, that he should have believed her. He offered to make her coffin when she passed away, but her children said no.
2. Lafayette Noah Hopson b 1858 Wise Co VA d abt 1938 Wise Co VA; m. 30 Jan 1879 VA to Rutha Stanley b 1862 Wise Co VA d 1908; d/o Joseph Stanley and Rutha Reed. Lafayette Noah Hopson m. abt 1914 to Verna Ethel Ramey b 27 Jan 1895 Pike Co KY d 5 Oct 1982 Clintwood, Dickenson Co VA; d/o Marion Jackson Ramey and Amanda Senters.
3. Elizabeth S Hopson b 7 Mar 1860 Wise Co VA
4. Matilda K Dealy Hopson b 7 Nov 1862 Wise Co VA
5. George W Hopson b 25 Apr 1867 Wise Co VA
6. John C Hopson b abt 1869 Wise Co VA
7. Evan (Eiv) Hopson b 1873 Wise Co VA
8. Mary C Hopson b 1877 Wise Co VA
9. Littleton W Hopson b abt 1879 Wise Co VA
1850 Scott Co. VA census: Littleton Hopson, 15, son of Littleton and Disa Hopson.
1860 Scott Co. VA census: Littleton Hopson, 24, husband of Mary E., father of Polly, Noah and Elizabeth. Farmer Wise Co VA, p. 287. Same entry shows Littleton age 58 and Dicy age 56, younger than 1850 census said.
Marriage record 1855 VA found International Geneological Index at LDS. Also wife's maiden name.
1870 Wise Co VA census: Littleton 36, Mary E. 33, Polly J. 14, Lafayette 12, Elizabeth 10, Matilda 6, George W. 4, John C., 1.
1880 Walker, Wise Co VA census, p. 338A:
Littleton HOPSON Self M Male W 46 NC Labor
Mary E. HOPSON Wife M Female W 44 TN Keeping House NC NC
Matilda A. HOPSON Dau S Female W 15 VA At Ho
George HOPSON Son S Male W 12 VA At Home NC TN
John C. HOPSON Son S Male W 11 VA At Home NC TN
Evan HOPSON Son S Male W 7 VA NC TN
Mary C. HOPSON Dau S Female W 3 VA NC TN
Littleton HOPSON Son S Male W 1 VA NC TN
Absalon TAYLOR Son L M Male W 20 VA At Home NC KY
Elizabeth TAYLOR Dau M Female W 20 VA At Home NC TN
Note on the information from Nancy Craft Long: " Both Littleton and Mary Emmaline are said to be buried the Hopson family cemetery, near Skeet Rock, VA. I have been to this cemetery, and found many of our Hopson ancestors graves, but time and weather have erased several of the oldest inscriptions, namely Littleton's and Mary Emmaline's."
Email from Vernon Hopson 14 Oct 2003: I have spoken to Noah Hopson's daughter Carrie Webb who is 89. She said that Noah's father Littleton Hopson was buried on the Hopson Cem. I took a picture of his rock. It has L.H. 1893 carved it.
(I do not have these photos). Email from Vernon Hopson Here are the pictures of Littleton & Emaline's children: Here is a copy of pictures I have so far of Littleton & Emaline's children. The first picture is of Emaline the Next 8 are her children. The only 2 that i don't have is there daughter Polly Jane that married Joe Stanley & Mary C. Hopson b 1877. The Picture of Great Grand dad Noah came from his daughter Carrie Webb of Clintwood Va. The one of Elizabeth came from her grand daughter Bulia Davis of Bristol Va, The one of Matilda came from the book "Southerland and Talyor Trails". The picture of George came from his Grand-daughter Nancy Hobson of Robenson Ck. Ky. The picture of John came from his grand son Lonnie Hopson of Lebanon, Va. & the one of Evan came from Mary Hash's grandson Fred Gibson of Pound Va.