Solomon Parsons and
Lydia Nancy Sturgill
Solomon Parsons b 5 Jun 1772 SC d 18 Jan 1860 Ashe Co (now Alleghany) Co NC; buried 1860 Parson's Cemetery, near Turkey Knob Alleghany Co NC; s/o William Parsons and Mary "Polly" Craig. Solomon Parsons m. about 1796 Ashe Co NC to Lydia Nancy Sturgill b 25 Feb 1778 d 15 Jun 1861; d/o Francis Sturgill and Rebecca Hash. The Parsons came from Alleghany, NC to VA. Children of Solomon Parsons and Lydia Nancy Sturgill;
1. Solomon Parsons Jr b about 1800
2. Ira Parsons. (Emily Bell writes there is no documentation this is a son; see info below)
3. Esquire John Parsons b 19 Jan 1805 Ashe Co NC d 24 Jan 1894; m. 1825 to (1) Margaret Gambill. Esquire John Parsons m. 1846 to (2) Phoebe Laxton.
4. Rebecca Parsons b 1806 d 5 Aug 1868; m. 1827 to Alvin Dixon. Children of Alvin Dixon and Rebecca Parsons;
i. Matilda Dixon b 1828
ii. Solomon Dixon b 1829
iii. Levi Preston Dixon b 2 Apr 1833 d 9 Sept 1911; m. Mary Jane Fisher b 14 Oct 1843.
iv. Drucilla Dixon b 1835
v. Lydia J Dixon b 1837; m. George Gilham
vi. Mazie Dell Dixon b 1841 d 1876; m. 1856 to John Calvin Phipps Jr
vii. Emeline Dixon b 1843; m. Gordon Parsons.
5. Robert S Parsons b 1807 Ashe Co NC d 2 Dec 1870 Wise Co VA; m. 7 May 1832 to Elizabeth Wells. Robert S Parsons m. 1846 to (2) Anna L Blanton b 1820: d/o William Blanton and Elizabeth Unknown.
6. Marion Parsons b 1810 Ashe Co NC.
7. Caleb Parsons b 22 Nov 1812 Ashe Co NC d 12 Apr 1901 Alleghaney Co NC; m. 27 Oct 1836 to Katherine Catherine Landreth. Occupation Farmer and stock raiser.
8. William B Parsons b Sept 22 1815 Ashe Co NC d Aug 18 1853 Alleghaney Co NC; m. 1842 to Lucinda Halsey.
9. Joseph B Parsons b 9 Nov 1820 Ashe Co NC d Nov 9 1868 Alleghany Co NC; m. 24 Jul 1856 to Mary Polly Draughn.
10. David Parsons b 7 Feb 1822 Ashe Co NC d 30 Apr 1864 Wise Co VA; m. 24 Mar 1848 to Derinda Emeline Privett (aka Dorinda), b 7 Oct 1822 NC; d/o Willis Privett and Elizabeth Harrell.
11. Nancy Parsons b 1825 Ashe Co NC; m. Crisley Estep.
12. Mary Parsons b 12 Jun 1827 Ashe Co NC; m. 10 Aug 1850 to Josiah Halsey. Children of Josiah Halsey and Mary Parsons;
i. J E Halsey
ii. Sarah Adeline Halsey
iii. Newton C Halsey
iv. Victoria Ellen Halsey
v. John Monroe Halsey
13. Alexander D Parsons b 3 Jun 1829 Ashe Co NC d 30 Jan 1868 Alleghany Co NC. (Emily Bell states this is a grandson - and son of Caleb Parsons and Katherine Landreth; see info below)
14. Alvin Dixon Parsons b 3 Jun 1829 Ashe Co NC (Emily Bell lists his b as 16 Apr 1829 - see info below) d 3 Jul 1918 Wise Co VA; m. 2 Apr 1854 to Phoebe Tolliver.
15. James Parsons b 1830 Ashe Co NC.
16. Craig S Parsons b 1833 Ashe Co NC m. Alfia Williams. Children of Craig S Parsons and Alfia Williams;
i. Martha Parsons
17. Solomon Columbus Parsons b 10 Aug 1836 Ashe Co NC d 30 Oct 1902. (Emily Bell states this is a grandson - and a son of Esquire John Parsons and Margaret Gambill see info below)
From: Emily Bell email@example.com
For Solomon's family. I have never see a child named Ira. My sister and I have done a lot of research on Solomon and have many papers on his family and there continues to be wrong information out there. I have a copy of Solomon's estate settlement, that seemed to go on for years. In it all of his children, or their heirs, are listed as both Solomon and Lydia died intestate. It is from these papers that we determined who their children were. There was one surprise.
First, Solomon Columbus was a grandson. He was John and Margaret Gambill Parsons son. This information came from a lot of John's descendants. Solomon Columbus was born 10 August 1836. Alexander is not a son of Solomon and Lydia's. He is the son of Caleb and Katherine Landreth Parsons. This can be proved by the estate papers, Alexander is not mentioned and on Alexander's Civil War Papers. His father, Caleb, signed off on the final papers after Alexander died during the war.
The one great fact that we came up with from the estate papers was that Solomon and Lydia did have a son named Solomon. He was the oldest and born sometime around 1800. He has died before the final papers were drawn up and a daughter is listed as his heir and living in IN or ILL, can't remember which at this time. So a listing of Solomon's children are as follows:
Solomon Parsons, Jr. b. 1800
John Parsons, b. 19 Jan 1805
Rebecca Parsons, b. 1806
Robert S. Parsons, b. 1807
Marion Parsons, b. 1810
Caleb Parsons, b. 22 Nov 1812
William B. Parsons, b. 22 Sept 1815
Joseph B. Parsons, b. 8 Nov 1820
David Parsons, b. 7 Feb 1822
Nancy Parsons, b. 1825
Mary Parsons, b. 12 Jun 1827
Alvin D. Parsons, 16 April 1829
James Parsons, b. 1830
Craig S. Parsons, b. 1833
Thanks to Emily Bell for submitting this information added 9 Apr 2008.