Facebook Your Feedback Sign Or View Our Guestbook

Marty Potter's Eulogy
Written By His Brothers
Clark Potter and David Potter

Doctors really did make home visits a long time ago. Sixty-five years ago on March 2nd, 1941, Joel Martin Potter was born at home. Home at that time, was house number 46 in "Lower Fleming", Kentucky. After the birth of Marty, Doctor Skaggs, the attending physician, placed Marty in the arms of his mother, Ida Fuller Potter. Our dear mother, Ida, is still with us (deceased 1 July, 2007) and I am sure she won't mind us telling everyone is 94 years young.

Clark, his older brother, at the ripe old age of 18 months reportedly pointed at the new baby when the doctor got ready to leave and said "Doc!" It looked as though when he pointed at his little brother, that he thought the doctor had forgotten his baby and should probably come back and pick him up! That is where the nickname, "Doc", or "Docky" as he was later called by close members of the family came from. Marty even used it on one of his email addresses.

These boys and their friends were very adventurous. They explored caves and closed-up coal mines. Clark and Marty climbed a lot of trees and rocks together. Once when they found a young stand of trees that were flexible but rather tall, the boys and a couple of friends decided to try something new. They would climb very near the top and start the trees swinging until they could reach the nearest one and grab on, letting go of the moving one and starting again. They did this continuously, trying to catch every tree in the group. They even created a special ride where the group would bend a tree almost to the ground with the "rider" hanging underneath. Then the rest would drop off at a signal and the "rider" was in for the ride of his life.

Marty was about 11 years of age and his brother, Clark, was about 12 when they went to Magoffin Baptist Institute. This was a boarding school with a working farm and dairy. They were expected to work three hours a day to help pay their tuition to the school. The work was hard, but they made it fun. They rode and cared for the mules, milked the cows and always played jokes on each other. They played tag on the mules and squirted milk on each other as they milked the cows. Clark came home after one semester and Marty ended up staying one year. The next four were spent at another similar school called Oneida Baptist Institute. He had many fond memories of Oneida.

After his stint at Oneida, he came back to McRoberts, Kentucky and finished High School at Jenkins, Kentucky. During that time, he practiced playing baseball and pitching until he excelled at both. During a phenomenal season, he was scouted by a University of Kentucky baseball scout. They offered him a full scholarship if he would play for the University of Kentucky.

Instead of attending the University of Kentucky, he ended up joining the U.S. Air Force. Here, he became a radio operator on an RB-57 reconnaissance aircraft which he thoroughly enjoyed. He recounted a time when they flew into the middle of a typhoon in order to sneak into an area where they weren't supposed to be. Marty was following a family tradition by being a member of the military. Five other sons of Creed Potter also proudly served in various branches of the military.

After his separation from the Air Force, Marty moved to Houston, Texas and lived with his brother, Clark for a period of time. Soon he met Judy Burkland, the woman who was to become the mother of his daughter, Angela Carmen Potter and his son, Trent Martin Potter. Then, a most important event in Marty's life took place. He met Brother Swaim, Pastor of the South Houston Assembly of God Church and really gave his heart to the Lord.

Within months, he was in charge of a 15 member youth group there. That number grew to around 45 to 50 members within a few months. He served in that capacity for at least 2 years and then began attending Faith Assembly where John McDuff was Pastor. He and his family attended here for several years. Though these years were extremely busy ones, they might well have been some of his most fulfilling.

Marty was an avid sportsman. He approached bowling, hunting, fishing and pool just like he did any job he was on. He usually gave it a hundred and ten per cent. From factory inspector, to real estate sales agent, to copy machine repairman to ralroad switchman and longshoreman, Marty gave it everything he had.

It would take volumes to recount all the special occasions, and adventurous stories about my brother, Marty. I know he wants us to remember the good times, and we do. Since Marty began to serve his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ as a young man, there were times that we wondered where his life was headed just as we have our own.

In these last years, he was quick to remind me of his return to loving and serving the Lord. By the Grace of God, I believe I will see my brother in Heaven. Life with the Savior is always an adventure. Wise men, women, boys, and girls still seek him.

Marty's most fervent wish was to get reacquainted with his children and grandchildren. He was so looking forward to it. I hope all of us who knew him will help them to give a clear vision of what life with a renewed loved one might have been like. May we all remember that when you "Train a child up in the way they should go, when they are old, they will not depart from it."

Search Our Site

| Home | Links | Email |
| Facebook | Guestbook | What's New |
Go Back Copyright © Annette Potter Some Rights Reserved Go Forward