Sherman Garfield Potter
and Thursie Sarah Akers
Sherman Garfield Potter b 17 Jan 1898 Jackhorn, Letcher Co KY d 14 May 1987 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; buried Thornton Cemetery, Letcher Co KY; s/o Levi Frank Potter and Nancy Jane Bentley. Sherman Garfield Potter m. 24 Nov 1917 Parson's Camp, Jackhorn, Letcher Co KY to "Thursie" Sarah Akers b 31 May 1899 or 1898 Alabama d 11 Dec 1958 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; buried Thornton Cemetery, Letcher Co KY; d/o John Akers and Mary Ochmon. Children of Sherman Garfield Potter and Thursie Sarah Akers;
Sherman Garfield Potter and Thursie Sarah Akers
Sherman Garfield Potter
1. Cecil "Cigar" Potter b 24 Jul 1918 Parson's Camp, Letcher Co KY d 26 Jul 1999 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY at Whitesburg Appalachian Regional Hospital; buried Wright - Collier Cemetery, Neon, (Goose Creek) Letcher Co KY; m. 18 Mar 1943 to Eliza Jane Vanover b 12 Dec 1915 Neon, Letcher Co KY d 14 Jun 1979 Phoenix, Maricopa Co AZ; St Joseph Hospital; buried Memory Lawn Mausoleum and Cemetery, Sanctuary of Peace, 2300 West Van Buren, Phoenix AZ; d/o
Boyd Vanover and Samantha Bentley (Source).
2. Mabel Mildred Potter b 7 Nov 1919 Parson's Camp, Letcher Co KY d 19 Sept 2000 Alamo, Kalamazoo Co MI; buried Alamo Cemetery, Alamo, Kalamazoo Co MI; m. 29 Feb 1944 Detroit, Wayne Co MI to Orville Lawson b 19 Dec 1911 Menifee Co KY d 9 Apr 1992 Plainwell, Allegan Co MI; s/o George Lawson and Martha Fraley. (Source).
Child of Orville Lawson and Mabel Mildred Potter;
i. Donald Ray Lawson b 2 Jun 1948 Kalamazoo, MI; m. 5 Aug 1973 Albuquerque, Bernalillo Co NM to Beverly Hakeem b 20 Nov 1951 Massachusetts; d/o Harry Hakeem and Linda Korey. Children of Donald Ray Lawson and Beverly Hakeem; I. Keith Michael Lawson, b. July 12, 1979. II. Kara Annemarie Lawson, b. November 11, 1982.
3. Elia Potter b 11 Jul 1921 d 5 Mar 2009; m. 28 Aug 1948 to George Earl Meade b 18 Jul 1923 (deceased). (Source)
4. Virgil Joseph Potter b 27 Apr 1923 Neon, Parson's Camp, Letcher Co KY d Sunday, 30 Apr 2006, 4:30 a.m. at Live Care Center, Michigan City, Laporte, IN, age 83; military service, US Army WWII Pacific Theater and Battle of the Bulge; buried Jenkins, Letcher Co KY; m. 29 Dec 1945 Seco, Letcher Co KY to Danola Quillen b 15 Aug 1924 Neon, Letcher Co KY; d/o Henry H Quillen and Martha Jane Hall. (Source).
5. Gracie Ruth Potter b 1925 d 1925; buried Isaac Potter Cemetery, Neon, Letcher Co KY.
6. Clifford Potter b 23 Jul 1926 Goose Creek Hollow, Neon, Letcher Co KY d 2012; m. 16 Mar 1946 Goose Creek Hollow, Neon, Letcher Co KY to Joann Short b 20 Jul 1926 McRoberts, Letcher Co KY d 27 May 2009. (Source)
7. Earl Potter b 1929 Goose Creek KY died (miscarriage); buried Isaac Potter Cemetery, Neon, Letcher Co KY.
8. Clarence Thomas Potter b 15 Oct 1931 Goose Creek Hollow, Neon, Letcher Co KY; m. 24 May 1952 Detroit Wayne Co MI to Mildred Mullins b 19 May 1934 Dorton, Pike Co KY; d/o Hassell Mullins and Elizabeth Belcher. (Source)
9. Bradley Gray Potter b 8 Feb 1933, d as infant 1933; buried Isaac Potter Cemetery, Neon, Letcher Co KY.
10. Sherman Garfield Potter Jr b 17 Apr 1934 Goose Creek Hollow, Neon, Letcher Co KY; m. 28 Jun 1954 to Ona Lee Ordiway b 1 Mar 1938 Kalamazoo Co MI; d/o Edward Ordiway and Ruby Price. (Source)
11. Culvert Anderson Potter b 21 Apr 1936 Neon, Letcher Co KY; m. 15 Oct 1960 Cleveland, Cuyahoga Co OH to Hedy Anne Quillen b 24 Jan 1939 Seco, Letcher Co KY; d/o Henry Quillen and Martha Jane Hall. (Source).
12. Unnamed Child Potter b 1938 d 1938; buried Wright - Collier Cemetery, Neon, Letcher Co KY.
13. Phyllis Dean Potter b 3 Mar 1940; m. 24 Jul 1962 Cleveland, Cuyahoga Co OH, to Audra Duty b 29 Sept 1936 McRoberts, Letcher Co KY; s/o Carl Duty and Maxie Ramey. Child of Audra Duty and Phyllis Dean Potter;
i. Kevin Anderson Duty b 9 Dec 1963 Deaconess Hospital, Cleveland, Cuyahoga Co OH
14. Jacky Warren Potter b 25 Mar 1942 d Monday, 15 Aug 2016 at home; buried Green Acres Cemetery, Ermine, Letcher Co KY; m. 15 Jan 1966 Clintwood, Dickenson Co VA to Inez Net Johnson b 19 Jun 1947 Halo, Floyd Co KY; d/o Has Johnson and Cuba Slone. (Source). Children of Jacky Warren Potter and Inez Net Johnson;
i. Anita "Dimple" Potter; m. Sherd Caudill Jr.
Sherman Garfield Potter
and Susie Newton
Sherman Garfield Potter b 17 Jan 1898 Jackhorn, Letcher Co KY d 14 May 1987 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; buried Thornton Cemetery, Letcher Co KY; s/o Levi Frank Potter and Nancy Jane Bentley. Sherman Garfield Potter m. 17 Nov 1960 Neon, Letcher Co KY at the Neon Church of Christ to Susie Newton b 29 Apr 1900 Lee Co KY d 20 Dec 1982 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; d/o John Newton and Jane Reece.
and Ermon Bentley
Susie Newton b 29 Apr 1900 Lee Co KY d 20 Dec 1982 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; d/o John Newton and Jane Reece. Susie Newton m. Ermon Bentley b 26 May 1879 d 25 Feb 1956; buried Acne Hill Cemetery, Neon Junction, Letcher Co KY; s/o Solomon Bentley and Mary Jane Bentley. (Source). Ermon Bentley was the first Police Judge of Neon, Kentucky. He was a member of the Church of Christ and was very active as a church worker according to an article in the Mountain Eagle dated Thursday, April 21, 1955. Child of Ermon Bentley and Susie Newton;
1. Herbert Bentley (adopted)
Jacky Warren Potter Obituary
Mar. 25, 1942 - Aug. 15, 2016
Jacky Warren Potter, 74, of Jackhorn passed away Monday, August 15, 2016 at his residence. Jacky was the son of the late Sherman G. and Thursie Akers Potter. Surviving is his wife: Inez "Net" Potter; 1 daughter: Anita "Dimple" Potter Caudill and husband: Sherd Caudill, Jr.; brothers and sisters: Clarence "Tom" (Mildred) of Kalamazoo, Michigan, Sherman (Onalee) of Kalamazoo, Michigan, Anderson (Hedy Ann) of Brook Park, Ohio, and Phyllis Duty of Neon; brothers and sisters-in-law: Hattie "Barb" West (Charles), Mag Mullins (Woodrow - deceased), Norma Fleming (Leonard), Boone Johnson (Trish), Rebecca Mullins (Dennis), Eva Potter (Junior), and Lisa Tackett; special niece: Anna Faye (Roger) Kruithoff; great granddaughter: Dela Marie Caudill; best friend: Jay Wright. Jacky was preceded in death by brothers and sisters: Cecil Potter, Mabel Lawson, Virgil "Joe" Potter, Elia Meade, Clifford Potter, Gracie Ruth Potter, Earl Potter, Bradley Gray Potter, Bobby Ray, and Nannie Colleen. Funeral: 1:00 O'clock P.M. Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at the Letcher Funeral Home Chapel with Darrell Strange and Hargis Hall officiating. Visitation: 1:00 P.M. Tuesday at the Letcher Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in the Green Acres Cemetery at Ermine, Kentucky.
VISITATION: Tuesday, August 16, 2016, 1:00 PM to 9:00 PM, Letcher Funeral Home Chapel, Whitesburg, KY. FUNERAL SERVICE: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 1:00 PM, Letcher Funeral Home Chapel, Whitesburg, Letcher Co., KY
Obituary of Sherman Garfield Potter 1898-1987
Sherman Garfield Potter, son of the late Frank Potter and Nancy Bentley Potter, was born at (Snowbird) Jackhorn, Kentucky on January 17, 1898. He passed from this life at the Whitesburg Appalachian Regional Hospital on May 14, 1987, making his stay here on earth 89 years, 3 months and 27 days.
Sherman was a retired miner having worked in the mines for 41 years and was a member of the United Mine Workers of America.
He has been a Christian since 1922 and a charter member of the Main Street Church of God when the church was organized in Hog Hollow in 1934.
Preceding him in death was his first wife, Thursie Akers Potter whom he married at Parson's Camp on November 24, 1917. She died in 1958. He then married Susie Bentley at Neon in November of 1960. She passed away in 1982. Also preceding him in death were four infants.
Sherman is survived by sons: Cecil of Goose Creek, Kentucky; Virgil of Neon, Kentucky; Clifford of Pound, Virginia; Tom and Sherman of Kalamazoo, Michigan; Culvert of Brook Park, Ohio; Jacky of Jackhorn, Kentucky; daughters: Mabel Lawson of Kalamazoo, Michigan; Elia Meade of Pottersfork, Kentucky; Phyllis Duty of Neon, Kentucky; sister: Cora
Clark of Columbus, Indiana; half-sisters: Blanche Barnett of Fleming, Kentucky; Myrtle Damron of Coeburn, Virginia; Nettie Bentley of Newark, Ohio; Peggy Ramsdial of Lima, Ohio; half-brother: Bob Potter of Knott County, Kentucky. Also surviving are 21 grandchildren, 32 great-grandchildren and a host of other relatives and friends to mourn