John Riley Smith and
Nannie Belle Breeding
John Riley Smith b abt 1882 KY d 20 Feb 1940 of heart failure; buried Old Hill Cemetery, Vicco, KY; s/o Hilliard J Smith and Armelda Melda Combs. John Riley Smith m. Nannie Belle Breeding 4 Nov 1884 d 22 Jul 1926 at 41 years of age; d/o James H Breeding and Vina Cody. John Riley Smith resided in Knott Co, KY and raised his family on Carr's Fork, Knott Co, Ky, near Vicco, Ky.
Nannie Breeding Smith
Written 2007, by Annette Potter, d/o Creed Flannery Potter and Ida Fuller: Mother (Ida Fuller Potter; d/o Green Fuller and Leona Smith) frequently stayed with Nannie Belle and Riley Smith. Mom says that Nannie was the best banjo player she ever knew and that Aunt Nannie and Uncle Riley held a special place in her heart. Children of Riley Smith and Nannie Belle Breeding;
1. Garland Smith b about 1905 KY; m. Pauline Jent (Gent).
2. Corbett Smith b about 1906 KY. Corbett Smith was killed in Vicco, KY, murdered by stabbing with a knife by Goebel Combs. What we know of this killing is that Corbett's hat was grabbed from his head and dropped on the floor by the killer and when Corbett bent to pick it up, he was attacked and stabbed to death with a knife by the man named Goble Combs.
Corbett Smith, Son of John Riley Smith and Nannie
Written by John Dishman Smith; s/o John Ashley Smith:
H. H. Smith aided the Commonwealth’s Attorney, J. A. Smith, in prosecution of the case at the trial. He (Goble Combs) was convicted and sentenced to the Ky Reformatory at Frankfort for a term of years. Before Mom's cousin, Corbett Smith, was murdered, Mom's brother, G Fuller was killed in the mines by the same man who killed her cousin, Corbett Smith. The family didn't believe G's death was an accident. G Fuller was very young when he was killed and so was Corbett Smith.
Mom says they couldn't keep pictures of G because the girls all wanted them and they'd take all the pictures of G. He was very popular with the young ladies.
Corbett Smith was also a very handsome young man. We have pictures of Corbett, but we can't locate pictures of Mom's brother, G Fuller. Mom's family thought that Corbett was killed on account of the bad feelings that existed between the man who killed G and G's family and friends. This event was such a terrible tragedy, no one has spoken much about it through the years, but our Mom still gets very teary eyed and sad about the loss of her brother, Elijah Green "G" Fuller and her cousin, Corbett Smith.
3. Gratis Smith (female) b about 1910 KY; m. Charlie Kelly (aka Carlos).
4. Elihu Smith b abt 1913 KY
5. Bertha Smith b abt 1916 KY
6. Erman Smith