Enos Tackett and Mary Jane Johnson
Enos Tackett and
Mary Jane Johnson
Enos Tackett b 17 May 1849 Pike Co KY d 11 Nov 1916 Pulaski Co KY accidentally thrown from a wagon driven by mules in training; buried Amil Little Cemetery, Long Fork, KY; s/o William Bucky Tackett and Sarah Caudill. Enos Tackett m. 1st to Mary Jane Johnson b 1847 Melvin, Floyd Co KY d 1878; d/o William Harvey Johnson and Sarah Caudill. Children of Enos Tackett and Mary Jane Johnson;
Enos Tackett and Susannah Sookie Johnson - Photo Belongs to Tackett Family Association - Facebook
1. Mahala Tackett b 15 Feb 1867 Floyd Co KY d 4 Oct 1892; buried Amil Little Cemetery, Pike Co KY; m. William Henry "Big Will" Tackitt b 1862 Wales, Indian Creek, Pike Co KY d 1932 Melvin, Floyd Co KY buried Mathew Tackett Cemetery, Melvin, Floyd Co KY. They had six children. William Henry "Big Will" Tackitt m. (2) Martha E. Burke b 19 Jan 1874; d/o William. E. Burke and Lucy Hall. They had two children. William Henry "Big Will" Tackitt m. (3) Willie Anne Worrix, 1876-1918, d/o Wm. J. Worrix & Mahala Potter. They had ten children.
“Big Will” was a member of the Old Reg. Baptist Church; ordained a Deacon in 1892, and served as Clerk of The Joppa Church at Melvin, KY, starting in 1898. His obit was pub. in the 1932 Minutes of the New Salem Assoc., p19-20, of the Old Reg. Baptist Church. This obit was written by his brother, Hiram Tackitt, 1861-1942, Clerk of The Enterprise Church of Old Reg. Baptist, over the hill, at Wales, KY for 40 years.
2. Maryland Tackett b 8 Feb 1869 Floyd Co KY d 6 Feb 1941 Pulaski Co KY; buried Eubank Baptist Church Cemetery, Eubank, Pulaski Co KY; m. Rhoda Caudill b 8 May 1868 Floyd Co KY d 19 Jun 1933; buried Clear Fork Cemetery, Eubank, Pulaski, KY; d/o Wilson Caudill and Mahala Martin. Children of Maryland Tackett and Rhoda Caudill; i. James Milton Tackett b 1883 ii. Frankie Jane Tackett b 1 Jun 1891 iii. Silas Tackett b 25 Jun 1895 iv. Benjamin Franklin Tackett b 24 Jan 1897 v. Dewey Tackett b 23 Nov 1898 vi. Daisy Tackett b Abt 1901 vii. Annie Tackett b 19 Jun 1903 Knott Co KY viii. Newperry "Perry" Tackett b 1908 ix. Maryland Byrd Tackett b 1910
3. Eli "Little Yi" Tackett b 4 Mar 1871 Pike Co KY d 26 Mar 1950 Pike Co KY; buried Amil Little Cemetery, Virgie, Pike Co KY; s/o Enos Tackett and Mary Jane Johnson. Eli "Little Yi" Tackett m. 1 May 1888 Pike Co Ky to Margaret Jane Hampton b Mar 1869 Taylor Co KY d 5 Sep 1912 Pike Co KY; buried Amil Little Cemetery, Virgie, Pike Co KY. Eli "Little Yi" Tackett m. 2 Hilza P. McCowan-Osborne b 28 Feb 1897 Virgie, Pike Co KY d 23 Oct 1989.
Enos Tackett and
Susannah "Sookie" Johnson
Enos Tackett b 17 May 1849 Pike Co KY d 11 Nov 1916 Pulaski Co KY accidentally thrown from a wagon driven by mules in training; buried Amil Little Cemetery, Long Fork, KY; s/o William Bucky Tackett and Sarah Caudill. Enos Tackett m. 2nd to Susannah "Sookie" Johnson b about 1840 Taylor Co KY; d/o King David Johnson and Anna Mary Hall Martin. Children of Enos Tackett and Susannah "Sookie" Johnson;
1. William Tackett b about 1879 Floyd Co KY.
Susannah "Sookie" Johnson
and Aaron Pinson
Susannah "Sookie" Johnson b about 1840 Taylor Co KY; d/o King David Johnson and Anna Mary Hall Martin. Susannah "Sookie" Johnson m. Aaron Pinson. Children of Aaron Pinson and Susannah "Sookie" Johnson;
1. Elizabeth Pinson Johnson b 1862 Floyd Co KY
2. Mary Jane Pinson Johnson b 1865 Floyd Co KY
3. Martha Jane Pinson Johnson b 11 Dec 1865 Pike Co KY d 15 Aug 1904 Virgie Pike Co KY; buried Jack Osborne Cemetery, Virgie, Pike Co KY; (Martha was born out of wedlock / Father's Surname: Pinson / Mother's Surname: Johnson Information Source: Martha's Granddaughter, Elva Jane "Janie" Tackett / told to Annette Plemmons on 02.26.2012); m. 4 May 1882 Floyd Co KY to Hiram Tackett b 20 Feb 1861 Pike Co KY d 5 Feb 1942 Pike Co KY; buried Jack Osborne Cemetery, Virgie, Pike Co KY; s/o James Tackett and Delilah "Dilly" Osborne. Children of Hiram Tackett and Martha Jane Pinson Johnson; i. Arzella Tackett b 1 Nov 1885 ii. Thomas Crittenden Tackett b 20 Jan 1889 iii. Hulda Tackett b 30 Mar 1891 iv. Caledonia Tackett v. Zuella Tackett vi. James Madison "Mat" Tackett b 12 Apr 1897 Wales Pike Co KY vii. Hassell Tackett b 12 Mar 1903 Pike Co KY
Hiram Tackett m. Luella Mabel "Ella" Henson b 28 Feb 1878 3 23 Jul 1971 Pike Co KY; buried Jack Osborne Cemetery, Virgie, Co KY. Children of Hiram Tackett and Luella Mabel "Ella" Henson; i. Hattie Tackett ii. Finis Tackett b 13 Jul 1911 Pike Co KY iii. Leonard Tackett b 1 Nov 1913 Virgie, Pike Co KY
Jim W Tackitt Sr. - Tackett Family Association on Facebook posted the following on October 9, 2013 Wednesday at 10:11pm:
A bit more on ENOS TACKITT (sic), 1849-1916, of the Turkey Pen/Wales area of Indian Creek, Pike Co., KY, but died in Pulaski Co., KY. Some of his neighbors in 1910 were Hiram Tackitt, 1861-1942, William B. Tackitt, 1880-1983 (a son of Enos), Jack Caudill (not identified) and William “Willie” Akers, b c1879.
See photo below of Enos and his 2nd wife, Susannah Johnson. Susannah was a companion to Aaron Pinson, b c1827. One of their daughters, Mary Jane “Coog” Pinson-Johnson, was the first wife of Hiram Tackitt, above, and the mother of HASSELL TACKETT 1903-1994.
These are some footnotes from my file on this ENOS TACKITT
BIOGRAPHIC SKETCH [Enos Tackitt]: Submitted to The Tackett Family Assoc., by James Milton Tackette, 1918-2011, a son of Elder Benjamin Franklin Tackett, 1897-1962 and Laura Ellen Tyler, 1899-1976., and a grandson of Maryland Tackett, 1869-1941 and Rhoda Caudill, 1868-1933, all last of Pulaski Co., KY.
"Each year during the fall of the year, Enos would travel from his home on Indian Creek in Pike County to Pulaski County to visit with his son, Maryland, and his family for approximately two months. In the fall of the year of 1917 (1916) during the last part of October or the first part of November while he was visiting them, one of the boys was taking the farm wagon over the Varney Hill to the part of the farm which was on the bottom land of Briry Creek.
They tried to talk Enos out of the idea of going with them since they had a team of young mules they were breaking to work hitched to the wagon. They were afraid that the young mules would run away and someone may get hurt. He insisted on going anyway and did so. Sure enough, the mules did get scared at something and started running with the wagon.
Enos was trying to hold the brake pole on the wagon when it hit something and bounced, throwing him out of the wagon oand onto a pile of logs which had been cut to build something on the farm. When he hit the pile of logs, his neck was broken and he died instantly.
After the tragedy, his body was placed in a casket and shipped back to his home on Indian Creek for burial. Maryland's oldest son, Milton, traveled back with the casket." [Jim W. Tackitt Note: Actually, Enos was bur. at what was then known as the Wm. “Buck” Tackitt Cem. on Long Fork; now known as The Amil Little Cem.]
BURIAL [Enos Tackitt]: Enos was not buried on Indian Creek but on what is now known as The Amil Little Cemetery on Long Fork - above the old homesite of Enos's father, WM. "Buck" TACKITT JR. His small concrete marker, not far from where his parents are buried, has the following inscription: ENAS TACKETT, B 5-17-1849 .... D 11-11-1916. Hassell Tackett, 1903-1994, son of Hiram, was present at the funeral and he recalls that this was a "fine funeral" and the sides of the hole where the casket was laid to rest appeared to be as smooth as glass. “Prettiest grave you ever did see,” Hassell said. (Related to Jim W. Tackitt, July 1987 on the spot where Enos was buried.)