and Sarah Sallie Caudill
John Johnny Back (same as John Back) b 7 Mar 1815 Perry Co KY d 16 Nov 1886 Letcher Co KY; buried Nancy Back Cemetery, Letcher Co KY; s/o Henry Back and Susannah Maggard. John Johnny Back m. 18 Mar 1841 to Sarah Salllie Caudill b 29 Jul 1823 Perry Co KY d 13 Apr 1884 Letcher Co KY; buried Nancy Back Cemetery; d/o William C Billie Caudill and Nancy Craft. (1850 Letcher Co KY Census). Children of John Johnny Back and Sarah Sallie Caudill;
1. Susannah Back b 29 Dec 1841 Breathitt Co KY b 29 Dec 1841 Breathitt Co KY d 6 Mar 1884 Breathitt Co KY; m. 31 May 1866 Breathitt Co KY to William H. Back b 4 Dec 1840 Breathitt Co KY d 9 Feb 1893 Breathitt Co KY; s/o John M. Back and Elizabeth Cope.
2. David Back b 15 Feb 1843 d 6 Dec 1864; age 21, as a Private Co A 13th KY Cavalry, CSA in the Civil War, Camp Douglas Prison; buried Camp Douglas IL
3. Nancy Back b 29 Jul 1845 KY; m. Dr. Leander Roark b about 1844 KY.
4. Henry J. Backb 27 Feb 1846 d 7 Apr 1901; military service, Private Co B 13th KY
Cavalry CSA; m. 21 Mar 1867 Letcher Co KY to (1) May Polly Sumner b about 1844. Henry J Back m. 15 Jul 1887 Letcher Co KY to (2) Anna Annie Adams b 10 Apr 1853 d 8 Dec 1915; buried Horse Mill Point Cemetery, Jeremiah, Letcher Co KY; d/o Stephen Adams and Ursula Usley Ison (aka Collins). Anna Annie Adams m. about 1871 to Stephen C. Hampton b 1850 Jeremiah, Letcher Co KY.
5. William C Bill Cody Back b 3 Feb 1848 d 20 Feb 1912; m. 24 Dec 1868 Letcher Co KY to Celia Sumner b October 13, 1848 KY d 25 Oct 1924
6. Rebecca Back b 22 Jul 1850 d 3 Feb 1929; m. 6 Nov 1867 Letcher Co KY to Henry D Snoot Back b 7 Mar 1848 Letcher Co KY d 11 Nov 1911; s/o Isaac Back and Rachel Combs.
7. Moses M. Back b 19 Mar 1853 Letcher Co KY d 22 Aug 1920 IN; m. Lavisa Davis d 1919. Moses M Back m. 7 May 1881 to Jane Carpenter b 1863 Breathitt Co KY
8.James S. Big Jim Back b 5 Mar 1856 Letcher Co KY d 11 Apr 1933 Knott Co KY; m. 30 Aug 1876 Letcher Co KY to Elizabeth Betty Roberts b 15 Feb 1860 Breathitt Co KY d 20 Apr 1928; d/o Preston Roberts and Rebecca Caudill.
9. John Wesley Back b 29 Jul 1859 KY d 19 Dec 1932 Reeds Spring, MO; m. 19 Feb 1887 Jackson, Breathitt Co KY to Phoebe Ellen Demarius Sug Clemons b 25 Mar 1872 Jackson, Breathitt Co KY d 1 May 1936 Joplin, MO; d/o Benjamin Clemons and America Newton.
10. Benjamin D. Back b 17 Dec 1861 Letcher Co KY d 8 Jul 1910; m. 23 Jul 1885 to Nancy Caudill b 13 Aug 1861 Letcher Co KY d 7 Feb 1937 Letcher Co KY; d/o Henry M Caudill and Sarah Sally Eldridge. Children of Benjamin D Back and Nancy Caudill;
i. Sarah Back m. James Madison Smith; s/o James T Smith and Margaret Fields. Children of Sarah Back and James Madison Smith;
I. Florine S Smith b 9 Oct 1933 Jeremiah, KY d 16 Jun 2008 Cincinnati, OH; buried Rossburg Cemetery, Rossburg, IN; m. 25 Nov 1955 WV to Marion Back Jr. Children of Marion Back Jr and Florine S Smith;
I.i. Lana Back; m. Martin Harmeyer
I.ii. James Michael Back; m. Nina Unknown
I.iii. Tracy Back
I.iv. Barbara Back; m. Dave Stirn.
II. Homer Smith
11. Isom Marion Back b 18 Sept 1865 d 18 Jun 1941; m. 18 Aug 1889 to Susannah Caudill b 11 Sept 1865 d 18 Oct 1938
12. Lewis Back b 26 Aug 1868 d 20 Aug 1938 Jeremiah, Letcher Co KY.
Obituary, Florine S. Back
9 October 1933 - 16 June 2008
10/9/1933 to 6/16/2008 Batesville, IN - Florine S. Back, age 74 years of Batesville, IN passed away Monday, June 16, 2008 in Cincinnati, OH. Born October 9, 1933 in Jeremiah, KY she was the daughter of the late Madison and Sarah (Back) Smith. She married Marion Back Jr. on November 25, 1955 in West Virginia. She retired from Batesville Casket Company. Mrs. Back is survived by her husband Marion Back Jr., children Lana (Martin) Harmeyer of Batesville, IN; James Michael (Nina) Back of Indianapolis, IN & Tracy Back of Batesville, IN; brother Homer Smith of Jeremiah, KY; 8 grandchildren & 4 great grandchildren. In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her daughter Barbara (Dave) Stirn and 7 brothers and sisters. Visitation will be Thursday, June 19, 2008 from 5-8pm at Meyers Funeral Home in Batesville, IN. Funeral Services will be Friday, June 20, 2008 at 11:00 AM at the funeral home with Pastor Todd Poynter officiating. Burial will be in Rossburg Cemetery, IN. Memorials are suggested to the family.
Obituary: Lewis Back
16 Aug 1868 - 20 Aug 1938
The following obituary is from The Mountain Eagle newspaper dated 09/08/1938, page 1, column 3: Lewis Back, 71, Passes Away At Jeremiah: Lewis Back, 71, died at Jeremiah, Saturday, August 20 after an illness of several months. Mr. Back was a native of the county and was born near Jeremiah, August 16, 1868. He was the son of John and Sally Back. He was a great favorite with the children of his community and all who knew him. He is survived by one brother Marion Banks. Funeral services were held at Jeremiah by Elders Tipp Cornett, Wes Caudill, Ray Whitaker and Howard Caudill, with interment in the Ben Back Cemetery.