Mary Jane Bates
Mary Jane Bates b 25 Mar 1853 d 31 Dec 1937; buried Thornton Cemetery, Thornton, Letcher Co KY; d/o Uriah Bates and Lettisha Letty Adams. Mary Jane Bates never married. Children of Mary Jane Bates and Unknown;
Mary Jane Bates and Grandkids
Mary Jane Bates and Sons
1. Infidelia Delia Della Bates b 29 May 1867 Lecher Co KY d 27 Apr 1942 Kona, Letcher Co KY; buried Thornton Cemetery, Thornton, Letcher Co KY; m. 24 Dec 1885 to John P Craft b 30 Jan 1867 Letcher Co KY d 27 Apr 1942 Kona, Letcher Co KY; buried Thornton Cemetery, Thornton, Letcher Co KY. Children of John P Craft and Infedilia Delia Della Bates;
i. Ritter Craft b 31 Mar 1895 d 20 Sept 1932; buried Thornton Cemetery, Thornton, Letcher Co KY. Child of Ritter Craft; Ritter Craft b 20 May 1918 Letcher Co KY d 5 May 1920 Letcher co KY; buried thornton Cemetery, Thornton, Letcher Co KY
ii. Lettie Leorina Craft b 29 Dec 1905 Letcher Co KY d 20 May 1939 Jenkins, Letcher Co KY; buried thornton Cemetery, Thornton, Letcher Co KY
2. Uriah A Bates b 1878 Letcher Co KY.
3. Lettie Bates (d/o Ed Combs) b 10 Apr 1881 Letcher Co KY d 19 Mar 1971 Letcher Co KY; buried Cornett Cemetery, Blackey, Letcher Co KY; m. 6 Dec 1898 Letcher Co KY to A L Venters. Child of Alex L Venters and Lettie Bates;
i. Cornilia Venters; m. Male Cornett.
Lettie Bates m. 17 Aug 1912 Letcher Co KY to Sam Williams. Child of Sam Williams and Lettie Bates;
i. Della Williams; m. Male Collier.
4. Washington Russell Wash Bates b 8 Jan 1883 Letcher Co KY d 7 Dec 1973 Letcher Co KY; buried Adams Cemetery, Blackey KY; m. 27 Nov 1907 to Annie Dixon b 26 Jun 1889 Letcher Co KY d 10 Jan 1980 Letcher Co KY; buried Adams Cemetery, Blackey, Letcher Co KY; d/o William Van Dixon and Dicey Combs.
5. Thomas Andrew Tom Bates b 5 Jun 1886 Letcher Co KY d 25 Aug 1956 Letcher Co KY; buried Thornton Cemetery, Thornton, Letcher Co KY; m. Vina Craft b 8 Nov 1886 d 25 Sept 1971; buried Thornton Cemetery, Thornton, Letcher Co KY. Children of Thomas Andrew Bates and Vina Craft;
i. Uriah Bates b abt 1907 KY
ii. Martin Bates b abt 1910 KY
iii. Myrtle Bates b abt 1912 KY; m. Male Johnson; Child of Male Johnson and Myrtle Bates;
I. Ocelene Johnson (twin) m. Male Hall; Child of Male Hall and Ocelene Johnson; I.i. Howard Keith Hall. Thanks to Howard Keith Hall - firstname.lastname@example.org for submitting this information in our guestbook on 16 August, 2008.
II. Charlene Johnson (twin) m. Male Adkins.
iv. Mary Jane Bates b abt 1914 KY
v. Virginia Bates b abt 1921 KY
6. John Johnnie Bates b Aug 1891 Letcher Co KY
Obituary: Mary Jane Bates
Mary Jane Bates, Age 84, Passes On
Mar 15, 1853 - Jan 1, 1938
At the home of her son Tom Bates near Wheelright, Floyd County, Kentucky, Mary Jane Bates, age 84, passed on, last Saturday morning to the land from whence no traveler returns. She had been getting along well for her age until about 2 weeks ago when the aged and frail body began giving away and so the peaceful sleep came early Saturday morning. Mrs. Bates spent practically her entire life in Letcher County and was related to the Bates, Crafts, and Adamses, her mother being Letty Adams, who married Uriah Bates. For the past several years she spent the time staying with her children and had been over in this county recently seeing her folks.
She leaves the following children; Wash Bates of Blackey, Della Craft of Kona, Lettie Williams of Blackey, Ritter Johnson of Pike County, Tom Bates of Wheelwright and a son Johnie whose where about is unknown. Besides These there are 37 grandchildren and 69 great grandchildren and hundreds of friends and relatives to mourn her passing. She lately professed faith in the Saviour and while not becoming a member of any church, she was a firm believer in the Regular Baptist church and always loved to attend their church and hear the preaching. On Sunday at the Thornton Cemetery, she was consigned to the tomb after services had been held by Elds. Hiram Hall, Wm. Moore and G Bennett Adams. The J W Call and Son funeral home of Pikevile had charge of the burial.
Obituary: Lettie Bates Williams
10 Apr 1881 - 19 Mar 1971
Birth: Apr 10, 1881. Death: Mar. 19, 1971 Letcher Co KY.
Published in the March 25, 1971, issue of The Mountain Eagle, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY. Mrs. Williams dies. Funeral services for Mrs. Lettie Williams, 89, of Letcher, Ky., were held March 22 (1971) at the Mt. Olivet Regular Baptist Church, Blackey. (KY). Survivors included two daughters, Mrs. Cornelia Cornett, Blackey, and Mrs. Della Collier, Letcher. Survivors also included one brother, Wash Bates, of Blackey. (End of Obituary).
Lettie (Bates) Venters Williams was the daughter of Mary Jane Bates. Her father is believed to be Ed Combs. Lettie married first to Alex L. Venters on December 6, 1898, in Letcher County, KY. They had one daughter: Cornelia (Venters) Cornett. Lettie and Alex divorced shortly afterwards. Lettie married second to Sam Williams on August 17, 1912, in Letcher County, KY. They had one daughter: Della (Williams) Collier.