Harvey G Franklin
and Evaline Combs
Harvey G Franklin b 28 Jan 1860 VA d 1 Feb 1949 Letcher Co KY; buried Combs Cemetery, Ermine, Letcher Co KY; s/o James S Bradley Franklin and Didema Hall. Harvey G Franklin m. 19 May 1881 Letcher Co KY to Evaline Combs b 7 Mar 1863 Letcher Co KY d 21 Sept 1947/48 Letcher Co KY; buried Combs Cemetery, Ermine, Letcher Co KY; d/o Russell Hacker Combs and Leodicia M Polly. Children of Harvey G Franklin and Evaline Combs;
Harvey Franklin and Evaline Combs
Harvey Franklin and Evaline Combs Family
1. Elizabeth Lizzie Franklin (twin) b 13 Aug 1882 Thornton, Letcher Co KY d 23 Dec 1977 Letcher Co KY; m. 22 Jun 1903 Letcher Co KY to John P Sawmill John Adams b 4 Oct 1886 Letcher Co KY d 6 Dec 1976 Letcher Co KY; s/o Benjamin Ben Adams (Benjamin Ben Adams was s/o Jesse Colly Jesse Adams and Mary Polly Craft) and Malissa Jane Cook.
2. Elza Elzie Franklin (twin) b 13 Aug 1882 Thornton, Letcher Co KY d 13 Dec 1977; m. Alpha Blair b 25 Oct 1912 Letcher Co KY; d/o Stephen L Blair and Ollie Jane Franklin.
3. Mary Polly Franklin b 23 JUL 1884 Letcher Co KY d 5 Jun 1989 Whitesburge, Letcher Co KY; buried Evergreen Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; m. 5 Sept 1905 Letcher Co KY to Alvin Hall b 8 Aug 1887 Pike Co KY d 27 Dec 1974 Letcher Co KY; buried Evergreen Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; Occupation farmer and coal miner Letcher Co KY; s/o Joseph Leonard Hall and Sarah Caudill.
4. James Bradley Franklin b 30 Aug 1886 d 22 Feb 1962 Letcher Co KY; buried Combs Cemetery, Ermine, Letcher Co KY. Veteran of WWI served as PFC in the 302nd Water Tank Btn.; m. 1921 to Lear Wright. Children of James Bradley Franklin; I. Homer Franklin b 7 Sept 1924 Letcher Co KY d 24 Sept 1992 Sanford, Seminole Co FL II. Odell Franklin (m) b 26 Mar 1922 Letcher Co KY
5. Liza Evelyn Franklin b 7 Dec 1889 Letcher Co KY d 13 Dec 1986; m. Pat Looney. Child of Pat Looney and Liza Evelyn Franklin; i. Claude Edward Franklin. Liza Evelyn Franklin m. (2) Horace Yates.
6. Shadrack Shade Franklin b 15 Oct 1891/92 Letcher Co KY d Apr 1985; m. 1920 to Ida Sexton b 5 Aug 1899 d 4 Apr 1981 Ermine, Letcher Co KY. Children of Shadrack Shade Franklin and Ida Sexton; i. Edward E Franklin b 12 Oct 1921 Letcher Co KY ii. Geraldine Franklin b 26 Aug 1923 Letcher Co KY iii. Rubly L Franklin (twin) 5 Apr 1926 Letcher Co KY iv. Wanda L Franklin (twin) 6 Apr 1926 Letcher Co KY v. Fay Franklin b 3 Dec 1930 Letcher Co KY vi. Phyllis J Franklin b 21 Jul 1934 Letcher Co KY.
7. Rhoda Franklin b 30 Dec 1893 d 22 Jan 1993 Winter Garden, Orange Co FL; m. Leroy Shumway Franklin b 2 Feb 1894 Letcher Co KY b 2 Feb 1894 d 15 Oct 1971 Letcher Co KY; buried Green Acres Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; s/o Eli Wilson Wilse Franklin and Sarah Jane Webb.
8. George W Franklin b 9 Aug 1896 d Apr 1976 FL; m. Lavernor White. George W Franklin m. (2) Hattie Craft. Child of George W Franklin and Hattie Craft; i. Coolidge Franklin.
9. Hattie Jean Franklin b 9 Dec 1899 d 11 Jun 1978 Fleming Letcher Co KY; m. 11 Sept 1918 to William Lawrence Bill Blair b 11 Nov 1897 Blair Branch Letcher Co KY d 15 Sept 1976 Fleming Letcher Co KY; buried Potter Cemetery, Kona, Letcher Co KY; s/o Jesse Marion Blair and Mary Ritter Franklin. Children of William Lawrence Bill Blair and Hattie Jean Franklin;
I. Edwin Hansel Blair b 22 Aug 1919 d 12 Dec 1954
II. Dan M Blair b 20 Apr 1928 d 10 Mar 1981; m. Female Chinard.
III. William Bill Blair Jr b 28 Feb 1921 d 1 Sept 2019 Jackhorn, Letcher Co KY; age 98 years, 7 months and 3 days; m. Mora Louise Carroll b ? d 28 Dec 2001. Children of William Bill Blair and Mora Louise Carroll; i. S Jill Blair; m. Male Jones ii. Belinda Wendy Blair; m. Colleen Ridgely iii. Jack R Blair; m. Delma Unknown.
IV. Barbara Blair b 28 Jan 1923 Thornton, Letcher Co KY d 2 Aug 2004 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; buried 5 Aug 2004 Potter Cemetery, Kona, Letcher Co KY; m. Male Montgomery. Barbara Blair m. 28 Feb 1942 to Johnny Krola b 10 May 1921 d 7 Feb 1964; s/o Steve Stipe Krola and Martha Jane Adams.
V. Grethel Blair; m. Male Ables. Grethel Blair m. (2) Male Richardson.
10. Gladys Nannie Franklin b 12 May 1901 d 28 Oct 1998 Columbus Franklin Co OH; m. 1 Oct 1921 Crafts Colly, Ermine, Letcher Co KY to Charles Adkins b about 1901. Child of Charles Adkins and Gladys Nannie Franklin; i. Mildred Adkins. Gladys Nannie Franklin m. (2) Male Farris.
11. John A Franklin b 18 Aug 1906 Letcher Co KY d 27 Oct 1972 Letcher Co KY; buried Evergreen Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; m. 29 Sept 1928 to Elsie Leah White b 3 Oct 1913 d 9 Aug 1979 Letcher Co KY; buried Evergreen Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; d/o Berry L White and Mary Elizabeth Swicegood. Children of John A Franklin and Elsie Leah White;
I. Renavae Franklin b 4 Aug 1929 d 25 Aug 2003; m. Milford Henry King b 3 Apr 1921 d 4 Apr 1958 Letcher Co KY; s/o Walter Andrew King and Sarah Aikens. Renavae Franklin m. (2) Stanley Tarsisius Stan Wegrzyn.
II. Rex V Franklin b 19 Mar 1933 d 29 Jul 2004 Ermine, Letcher Co KY.
III. Female Franklin
IV. Elaine Franklin b 23 Dec 1945; m. Male Morgan.
Obituary: William Bill Blair Jr
28 Feb 1921 - 1 Sept 2019
William "Bill" Blair, Jr, son of the late William L. Blair, Sr and Hattie Jane Franklin Blair was born in Thornton, Kentucky, February 28, 1921. He entered eternal life Sunday, September 1, 2019 at his residnece in Jackhorn, Kentucky being 98 years, 7 months amd 3 days of age at the time of his passing.
William Bill Blair Jr
Bill was married to late Mora Louise Carroll Blair. She passed away December 28, 2001.
Bill was a US Army veteran having served in World War II. He took part in the invasion of Normandy.
He was a member and served as treasure for the Little Rock Old Regular Baptist Church.
He was awarded medals in the senior Olympics.
He was a devoted father, grandfather and a great friend to all that knew him.
Bill was aslo member of the American Legion. He was a an avid Letcher County sports fan.
He is survived by his two loving daughters, S. Jill Jones of Howell, Michigan and Belinda Wendy (Colleen) Ridgley of New Boston, Michigan. A daughter-in-law, Delma Blair of Jenkins, Kentucky.
Also surviving are five grandchildren, Denise, Tom, Melanie, Devin and Ashley and 13 great-grandchildren and a host of other relatives and friends to mourn his passing.
Bill is preceded in death by a son, Jack R. Blair. Two brothers and two sisters.
The following is a special comment left on the obituary website by Michael C Melton. I placed it here because it was such a beautiful tribute to this gentleman. Michael C Melton wrote the following on Sept 4, 2019 at 1:07 PM CST:
Bill was the finest man I have ever known. He was my friend. I looked up to him and loved to listen to him tell stories about the days long ago.
I loved how he got that little twinkle in his eyes when he saw you and that smile across his face. My friend made you feel better no matter what was going on in your life.
I had known him for nearly 35 years, but his sweet Mora Lou and my Dad passed within 3 days of each other in 2001.
I had so much going on that I did not even know that she had passed until Bill and I met in Pine Mountain Grill a couple of months later and he told me he was sorry to hear about my Dad. He told me that he had lost Mora Lou a few days before. We both teared up and hugged.
From that point on we had such a strong bond every time we met. I never failed to tell him that I loved him, because I felt it was important he knew he made a difference in my life. He made a difference in so many peoples' lives. So, as I write this I do so with the weight on my heart that I will never see my friend again in this life; I'm sad in the flesh, but in my spirit my soul rejoices because I know my friend has made it home to that Good Land.
If there is anything I could receive from my friend, it would be a double portion of his spirit. I am going to close this message with my love and prayers for the family and a thank you to God for allowing him to be a part of my life when I most needed him.
God has a way of working those things out and I trust in that. So, to quote an old song, "Fight on, fight on ye valiant souls; our captain is in view; and when we gain fair Canaan's land; I hope to meet with you."
God Bless You All, Michael C. Melton
Remarks by Harve Hall
Grandson of Harve Franklin 1996
According to a statement by Harve Hall 1996, his grandfather Harve Franklin was probably baseborn, or illegitimate. He was raised by an uncle, whom Harve Hall identified as Green Franklin. Almost certainly, this was a mistake, and the uncle was probably Greenway Green Hall, who married Mary Elizabeth Franklin, the sister of James Bradley Franklin.
At the time of the 1870 Letcher County census, he was reported as residing the household of his grandparents, Bird and Agnes Franklin.
At various times Harve Franklin lived on Crafts Colley Letcher County and Left Beaver Floyd County. Harve was a tall man; his grandchildren recall that he had to stoop to pass through the doorways of their house. They suggest he was approximately 6' 6" or 6' 7" tall.