Hiram Wesley Holcomb
and Louisa Morgan
Hiram Wesley Holcomb b 12 Dec 1850 Perry Co KY d 9 Nov 1930 Lewis Co KY; s/o Henderson Holcomb and Sarah Sally Cornett. Hiram Wesley Holcomb m. 3 Aug 1873 Letcher Co KY to Louisa Morgan b 14 Mar 1855 KY d 31 Jan 1916 Firebrick, Lewis Co KY; (or Greenup Co KY) d/o James Morgan and Mary Emily Polly. Children of Hiram Wesley Holcomb and Louisa Morgan;
Hiram Wesley Holcomb and Louisa Morgan
1. Prince Edward Holcomb b 1 Nov 1874 Goose Creek, Letcher Co KY d 31 Dec 1967 Adams Co OH; m. 7 Jul 1899 Letcher Co KY to Cora Phynetta Holbrook b 6 Jun 1884 d 15 Dec 1966 Adams Co OH.
2. Manerva Holcomb b 7 Mar 1877 Letcher Co KY d 5 Aug 1970 KY; m. 16 Jan 1904 KY to William Mitchell Bentley b 14 Aug 1875 Pike Co KY d 23 Apr 1963 KY; s/o John Martin Bentley and Malinda Addington.
3. LaFayette Samuel Holcomb b 31 Oct 1879 Letcher Co KY d 14 Feb 1967; m. 30 Mar 1900 Letcher Co KY to Mahala Hughes b 10 Apr 1879 Letcher Co KY d 11 Nov 1965 Lewis Co KY; d/o Gabriel Hughes and Nancy Potter. Children of Lafayette Holcomb and Mahala Hughes;
i. Louise Holcomb b 1905
ii. Jerome Ellis Holcomb b 17 Mar 1913 KY d 16 Sept 1991 Portsmouth, Scioto Co OH
iii. William H Holcomb b abt 1920
iv. Sherman Holcomb b 1921 KY
4. Mary Frances Holcomb b 4 Mar 1882 Letcher Co KY d 23 Oct 1960 Siloam, Greenup Co KY; m. abt 1910 to Jerome Roma Shepherd b 10 Dec 1872 Floyd Co KY d 25 Jun 1957 So Shore, Greenup Co KY; s/o Jacob Shepherd and Sarah Ann Coburn. Jerome Roma Shepherd m. 24 Dec 1903 Bellaire, Antrim Co MI to Mary A Frazee b 1876 KY d before 1910; d/o Lewis Virgil Frazee and Sarah Ann Smith. Children of Jerome Roma Shepherd and Mary Frances Holcomb;
i. Rinehart Schaub Shepherd b 10 Oct 1911 Green Co KY d 13 Apr 2004 Sullivan Co TN
ii. Hager J Shepherd b 22 Aug 1913 Greenup Co KY d 7 May 2000 Greene Co OH
5. Louise Holcomb b 4 Aug 1884 Letcher Co KY; m. 14 Mar 1929 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY to Asa Franklin Stroud b 15 Oct 1893 Mt. Hope WV; s/o David Stroud and Eliza Unknown.
6. Atha Rita Holcomb b 22 Jan 1887 Letcher Co KY d 2 Jun 1935 Lewis KY; m. 22 Dec 1917 Lawrence OH to Alonzo Washington Holbrook b 13 Aug 1894 KY d Sept 1982 Newberry, Luce Co MI; s/o Simeon Holbrook and Mary Polly Ann Fultz. Alonzo Washington Holbrook m. (2) Viola Lelland Thompson b 1 Mar 1911 Lawrence KY d 15 Nov 1958 McMillan, Luce Co MI; d/o James Harrison Thompson and Sarah Emily Perkins. Viola Leeland Thompson m. (1) William Edison Shortridge b 1902 KY d 16 Sept 1975 Lawrence Co KY; s/o Derward Carl Shortridge and Margaret J Fannin.
7. Townsel G Holcomb b 28 Feb 1889 Letcher Co KY d 30 Jul 1968 Seco Letcher Co KY; buried Reynolds Family Cemetery, Seco, Letcher Co KY; m. 26 Feb 1917 Letcher Co KY to Maryland Wright b 20 Feb 1893 KY d 18 Sep 1982 Boyd Co KY; d/o John Phillip Wright and Mary Chaney Reynolds.
8. Martha Jane Holcomb b 14 Jun 1891 Letcher Co KY d 31 Jan 1961 Jefferson Co KY; m. 21 Dec 1907 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY to Hiram Hall Taylor b 14 Sept 1878 Colly, Letcher Co KY d 6 Mar 1956 Letcher Co KY; s/o James Jim Taylor and Nancy Jane Jennie Hart. Hiram Hall Taylor m. 1902 Letcher Co KY to Ritter Sergent b 25 Sept 1885 Democrat, Letcher Co KY d 1904; d/o David Andrew Sergent and Nancy Jane Bagwell. Children of Hiram Hall Taylor and Martha Jane Holcomb;
i. George W Taylor b 1911 Letcher Co KY; m. 16 Jul 1931 Wise Co VA to Ocie Creech b 1909; d/o W M Creech and Nancy Blair.
ii. James W Taylor b 1912 KY
iii. Woodrow W Taylor b 1915 KY
iv. Robert Bruce Taylor b 1920 Letcher Co KY; m. Blanche Unknown b abt 1922 KY
v. Laurence Berry Taylor b 1922 Letcher Co KY; m. 29 May 1950 Lexington, Fayette Co KY to Joyce Irene Holbrook b 1928; d/o Hassel Holbrook and Vernice Nichols.
vi. Hiram H Taylor b 1922 Letcher Co KY; m. 8 Jun 1946 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY to Irene Ruth Haynes b 1926; d/o Charlie Haynes and Ritter Hunsucker.
vii. John H Taylor b 1924 KY
viii. Jackie Taylor b 1934 KY
9. John Sherman Holcomb b 14 Dec 1894 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY d 24 Jan 1978 Columbus OH
10. Cora L Holcomb b 6 Jun 1899 Letcher Co KY d 1910; age 11.
11. Bertha Viola Holcomb b 27 Oct 1896 Letcher Co KY (or 29 Oct 1902 Letcher Co KY) d 19 Jun 1955; m. 28 Apr 1936 Portsmouth OH to Charles M Taylor.
Obituary: Bertha Viola Holcomb Taylor
29 Oct 1902 - 19 Jun 1955
Mt Eagle Newspaper, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY, Thursday, June 23, 1955: Mrs Taylor Dies.
Mrs. Bertha Viola Taylor, 52, wife of Charles M Taylor, 4053 Rhodes Ave, New Boston, died Sunday at 3:15 pm in Mercy Hospital.
Mrs. Taylor had been ill the last year and was hospitalized nine weeks ago. She had lived in New Boston the last 10 years.
She was born Oct 29, 1902 in Letcher County, Ky., a daughter of Mr. and Mrs Hiram Holcomb.
She was married to Mr. Taylor April 28 1936 in Portsmouth.
Surviving are four brothers, Prince Holcomb of West Union, John Holcomb of Columbus, Fayette Holcomb of Firebrick, Ky., and Townsel Holcomb of Neon Ky, and four sisters, Mrs. Minerva Bentley of St. Paul, Mrs. Mary Shepherd of Siloam, Mrs. Louise Stroud of Louisville, and Mrs. Martha Taylor of Whitesburg, Ky.
Funeral services were conducted Tuesday at 2 pm at Morton Funeral Home with Rev. William Mosely officiating. Interment was in Mt. Zion Cemetery.
1880 Letcher Co KY Census Carrs Fork 063
62 65 Holcomb Jordon W M 27 Head M Farmer KY NC KY
62 65 Holcomb Catharine W F 16 Wife M Keeping House KY KY KY
62 65 Holcomb Nancy W F 7/122 Nov Daughter S KY KY KY
63 66 Holcomb Henderson W M 84 Head M Farmer NC NC NC
63 66 Holcomb Sarah W F 64 Wife M Keeping House KY KY KY
63 66 Holcomb David W W M 10 grand son S At School Can't read/write KY KY KY
63 66 Holcomb Susan W F 5 Grand Daughter S KY KY KY
64 67 Holcomb Hiram W M 30 Head M Farmer KY NC NC
64 67 Holcomb Louisa W F 24 Wife M Keeping House Can't read/write KY KY KY
64 67 Holcomb Prince W M 5 Son S KY KY KY
64 67 Holcomb Manerva W F 3 Daughter S KY KY KY
64 67 Holcomb Lafayett W M 7/12 Nov Son S KY KY KY
64 67 Plumer Ann W F 18 Servent S Servent VA VA VA
1880 Letcher Co KY Census 063
268 272 Taylor James W M 24 Head M Farmer Can't write KY KY KY
268 272 Taylor Nancy W F 20 Wife M Keeping House Can't write KY KY KY
268 272 Taylor Hiram W M 2 Son S KY KY KY
1900 Letcher Co KY Census Whitesburg District 0074
314 314 Taylor James Head W M Mch 1857 49 M 20 KY KY KY Farmer Can read/write
314 314 Taylor Nancy Wife W F April 1857 43 M 20 5 5 KY KY KY
314 314 Taylor Hiram Son W M Sept 1878 21 S KY KY KY School Teacher Can read/write
314 314 Taylor Hugh Son W M July 1887 12 S KY KY KY 6 At School Can read/write
314 314 Taylor Samuel Son W M Apr 1893 7 S KY KY KY 5 At School Can read/write
314 314 Taylor Sarah E Daughter W F Apr 1896 4 S KY KY KY Can read/write
1910 Letcher Co KY Census East Whitesburg ED 143
150 150 Taylor Hiram Head M W 30 M2 2 KY KY KY Teacher Public School
150 150 Taylor Martha Wife F W 18 M1 2 KY KY KY
1910 Letcher Co KY Census Elkhorn District 0146
144 145 Holcomb Hiram Head M W 59 M1 37 KY KY KY Farmer General Farm
144 145 Holcomb Louisa Wife F W 54 M1 37 11 10 KY KY KY
144 145 Holcomb John S Son M W 16 S KY KY KY Farm Labor Home Farm
144 145 Holcomb Bertha Daughter F W 14 S KY KY KY Farm Laborer Home Farm
145 146 Holcomb T S (Tounsel) Head M W 20 M1 1 KY KY KY Laborer Odd Jobs
144 145 Holcomb Maryland F W 17 M1 1 KY KY KY
1920 Lewis Co KY Census Firebrick District 0151
89 89 Holcomb Hiram W Head M W 72 Wd KY KY KY