and Elizabeth Amburgey
Alfred Honeycutt (Davis) b 1834 Buncombe Co NC; s/o William Davis and Susannah Honeycutt. (Source - Phyllis Reynolds Goelz). Alfred Honeycutt m. 1852 to Elizabeth Amburgey b 1834 d 1858 KY; d/o Robin Robert Amburgey and Elizabeth Fuller. Children of Alfred Honeycutt and Elizabeth Amburgey;
1. Robert Honeycutt b 27 Jun 1852 Letcher Co KY; m. 19 Jan 1870 Letcher Co KY to (1) Polly Reynolds. Robert Honeycutt m. 21 Dec 1875 Letcher Co KY to Susan Hughes b 1854 d 1903. Robert Honeycutt m. 1 Feb 1895 to Clora Ritchie b 17 May 1872 Floyd Co KY d 2 Feb 1935; d/o Irvin Ritchie and Susannah Slone.
2. Phoebe Honeycutt b 8 Jan 1854 Letcher Co KY d 14 May 1939; buried Pigman Cemetery, Upper Carr, Pinetop, KY; m. Frehlin Heison Freeland Thomas b 28 Jan 1846 NC d 10 Dec 1943; buried Pigman Cemetery, Upper Carr, Pinetop, KY; s/o Greenberry Thomas and Celthany Sexton.
3. William Honeycutt b 28 Dec 1855 Letcher Co KY
4. Thomas Honeycutt b 21 Jun 1857 Letcher Co KY; m. 20 Jul 1891 Knott Co KY to Nancy Jane Hughes b 1861 KY; d/o Henry Hughes and Mary Polly Smith.
and Elizabeth Reynolds
Alfred Honeycutt (Davis) b 1834 Buncombe Co NC; s/o William Davis and Susannah Honeycutt. (Source - Phyllis Reynolds Goelz). Alfred Honeycutt m. 1861 to (2) Elizabeth Reynolds b 1834 Perry Co KY d 1900 Mallie, Knott Co KY; d/o Joseph Reynolds and Queentina Amburgey. Children of Alfred Honeycutt (Davis) and Elizabeth Reynolds;
1. Grant Honeycutt b 18 Feb 1864 KY d 2 May 1936 Knott Co KY; m. 14 May 1886 Knott Co KY to Mary Polly Stamper b 9 Nov 1863 Wise Co VA d 20 Sept 1941 Pinetop, Knott Co KY; d/o Joseph Stamper and Malinda Phipps.
2. Queentina Honeycutt b 24 Nov 1867 Letcher Co KY d 5 Jul 1909 KY; m. 16 Aug 1881 Letcher Co KY to Greenberry A Collins b 1859 Letcher Co KY d 17 Mar 1921; s/o John Wesley Collins and Nancy Mullins.
3. Sarah Honeycutt b 15 Jul 1870 KY. (Source: Phyllis Reynolds Goelz - email@example.com)
4. Nancy Honeycutt b 18 Jun 1876 d 28 Jana 1923; m. Wiley J Amburgey b 17 Jun 1877 d 28 May 1970.
5. John W Honeycutt b 1 Nov 1878 d 22 Dec 1944; m. Amanda Jane Bates b 18 Oct 1882.
6. Wilburn Honeycutt b 5 May 1881 d 2 May 1967; m. Alefair Vance b 9 Dec 1884.
7. Elizabeth Honeycutt b 1872 d 1875
9. Mausee Honeycutt b 1874 d Oct 1875.
The Alfred Honeycutt Family
Editor's note: Each week the Times will feature a brief family history of Knott County ancestors. Readers are encouraged to share their genealogical research with us. We would prefer that the couple spotlighted be born before 1900. Histories may be submitted to Edythe Pridemore at Box 54, Mallie, Ky. 41836. For more information on our family history column, contact Edythe at 785-3042 or the Times office at 785-5134.
This week's family history was submitted by Creda J. Isaacs of Deane, Ky. Sources for her information include cemeteries, the 1880 Floyd County census and the 1900 Knott County census.
Alfred Honeycutt (also spelled Hunnicut) was born in October 1832 in North Carolina. Family tradition says his father was Esau Hunnicut and his mother was a Burgens or Burgey (Amburgey). Alfred served in the Civil War, Confederate Co. C 45th Inf.
Alfred was married twice. His firs marriage was to Elizabeth Amburgey, daughter of Robert Amburgey and Elizabeth Fuller Amburgey. She was born in January 1835. They had three children:
Thomas was born in 1858. He was married first to Malissa Hughes, and later Jane Hughes.
Robert was born 1853 and married Clara (Cloy) Ritchie.
Phebe Jane was born January 8, 1854. She married Frelin Thomas, born January 28, 1847, who died Dec. 10, 1943. Phebe died May 15, 1939, and is buried at the mouth of Willard in Knott County.
Alfred's second marriage was to Elizabeth Reynolds, daughter of Joseph Reynolds and Queentina Amburgey, who was born in 1840 and died in 1900. She is buried in the Reynolds Cemetery at Mallie, Ky. Eight children were born in this marriage.
Grant was born Feb 18, 1864. He married Polly Stamper Huff, born Sept 1865. Grant died May 3, 1936.
Queentina was born Nov. 24, 1867. She married Green Collins, born July 1859. Queentina died July 5, 1909.
Sarah Was born July 15, 1870. She married Wallace Stamper, born March 9, 1870. Sarah died March 20, 1931.
Nancy was born June 18, 1876. She married Wiley J Amburgey, who was born June 17, 1877, and died May 28, 1970. Nancy died Jan. 28, 1923.
John W. was born Nov. 1, 1878. He married Amanda Jane Bates, born Oct 18, 1882. John died Dec. 22, 1944.
Wilburn was born May 5, 1881 and married Alefair Vance, born Dec. 9, 1884. Wilburn died May 2, 1967.
Elizabeth was born in 1872 and died in October 1875.
Mausee was born in 1874 and died in October 1875.
Alfred Honeycutt is buried in the Reynolds Cemetery at Mallie, Ky.
Source of newspaper Times, Knott County, Kentucky (Creda Joyce Isaacs).