and Lavina Fleming
Marshall Keel b abt 1832 NC d 16 Sept 1863 Big Ridge, Wise Co VA; s/o Harding Keel and Susan Tuten. Marshall Keel m. 16 Dec 1853 Wise Co VA to Lavina Fleming b b 24 Mar 1836 Jacks Fork, Beaver Creek, Floyd Co KY d 26 Nov 1906; d/o John Jackson Fleming and Mary Jane Mullins. Children of Marshall Keel and Lavina Fleming;
1. Martha J Keel b 1854 Russell Co VA d 1860 Wise Co VA
2. Francis Marion Keel b 15 Oct 1855 Russell Co VA d abt 1900 Pike Co KY; m. 17 Dec 1883 Pike Co KY to Demanza Burke b 1862 Pike Co KY; d/o Greenville Burke and Louvena Lurinda Hall. Francis Marion Keel m. 28 Jun 1887 Pike Co KY to Mary Smallwood b 1870 Pike Co KY; d/o William Harve Smallwood and Marilda Baker. Francis Marion Keel m. 11 Mar 1879 Wise Co VA to Martha J Vanover b 1862 Wise Co VA; d/o William J Vanover and Elizabeth Howell.
3. Sarah E Keel b 1858 d 1953
4. Mary Frances Keel b 11 Feb 1860 Wise Co VA d 25 Jun 1928 Mud River, Lincoln Co WV; buried Mullins Cemetery, Mullins Farm, Mud River, Lincoln WV; m. 22 Feb 1877 Pike Co KY to Andrew Jackson Mullins b 20 Dec 1848 Pike Co KY d 1892; s/o Solomon Mullins and Nancy Matilda Wilcox. Andrew Jackson Mullins m. 25 Nov 1869 Pike Co KY to Angeline Osborne b abt 1852 d 27 Feb 1877; d/o Shadrack Osborne and Elizabeth J Robinson.
5. Floyd Keel b 3 Dec 1861 Wise Co VA d 17 Dec 1886 Dickensonville, Russell Co VA; m. 4 Aug 1883 to Hannabel Minerva Mullins b 14 Mar 1866 VA d 2 Sept 1934 Flemingtown, Dickenson Co VA; d/o Isham Isom Mullins and Mary Ann Sanders. Hanneble Minerva Mullins m. 1888 Henry Castle b abt 1864 Floyd Co KY
and John Bunyon Jack Counts
Lavina Fleming b b 24 Mar 1836 Jacks Fork, Beaver Creek, Floyd Co KY d 26 Nov 1906; d/o John Jackson Fleming and Mary Jane Mullins. Lavina Fleming m. 16 Dec 1870 Wise Co VA to John Bunyon Jack Counts b 4 Feb 1825 Cleveland, Russell Co VA d 27 Aug 1874 Island Branch, Cleveland, Russell Co VA; buried John Counts Cemetery, Cleveland, Russell Co VA; s/o Ezekiel Counts and Elizabeth Betsy Amburgey.
Death of Mashall Keel
Marshall Keel lived on George's Fork. During the Civil War, Capt. Chase and Capt. Fulton's Companies were ordered to West Virginia. Lt. John Fleming in Capt. Chase's Company asked his Brother-in-law Marshall Keel to put on his uniform and go with them part of the way. On the first day out Marshall Keel was shot and killed at Big Ridge near Phil Fleming's by bushwhackers who were out to kill John Fleming and or John McFall.
1860 Wise Co VA Census
331 Keel, Marshall G 29 M Farmer NC
331 Keel, Lavina 25 F Housekeeper VA
331 Keel, Martha J 6 F VA
331 Keel, Frances M 4 M VA
331 Keel, Sarah E 2 F VA
331 Keel, Mary F 4/12 F VA