Hayes Little and
Hayes Little b 21 Aug 1898 Floyd Co KY d 25 Aug 1964 Whitesburg ARH, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; buried Hemphill Cemetery, Jackhorn, KY; s/o Stephen Little and Mary Polly Little. Hayes Little m. 17 Mar 1920 by minister, Bailey Johnson, in bride's home, Etty, Pike Co KY to Cynthia Johnson b 3 Oct 1905 Speight, Pike Co KY d 3 Sept 1988 Whitesburg ARH, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; buried Green Acres Cemetery, Ermine, KY; d/o Lorenzo Dow L.D. Johnson and Elizabeth "Lizzie" Collier. Children of Hayes Little and Cynthia Johnson;
Cynthia Johnson Little
1. Goldie Gomie Little b 1921 KY; m. Brady Verdy Bostain. Child of Verdy Bostain and Goldie Goma Little;
i. Wanda Lou Bostain; m. Billy Joe Hall; s/o Noah Hall and Tressie Burke. Child of Billy Joe Hall and Wanda Lou Bostain;
I. Karen Hall
2. Sophia Little b 6 Feb 1923 Etty, Pike Co KY; m. 1 Jan 1946 Letcher Co KY to James Denton Houston b 1921 Jackhorn KY; s/o Olvin Houston and Susan Wright. Child of James Denton Houston and Sophia Little;
i. Ronnie Houston.
3. Mary Elizabeth "Lizzie" Little b 19 Mar 1925 Speight, Pike Co KY; m. 15 Jan 1949 Letcher Co KY to Herman Slone b 1926 b Premium, KY; s/o Sam Slone and Caroline Maynard. They were married by minister, Noah Bentley in the Church of Christ, Jackhorn, Letcher Co KY witnessed by Kelly Bentley and Fayette Bentley.
4. Cleda Little b 5 Jul 1927 KY d 4 Apr 1971 Cleveland OH, (obituary) m. Male Hall. Children of Male Hall and Cleda Little; i. Bobby Hall, ii. Hayes Parnell and iii. Hatzo Palaus
5. Frankie Little b 16 Feb 1930 Jackhorn, KY d 25 Sept 2014 Mt Caramel E. Hospital, Columbus, OH; buried Reuben Potter Cemetery, Jackhorn, KY; m. 20 Jun 1950 to Samuel Harrison "Sam" Potter b 1 Feb 1929 Letcher Co KY; s/o Isaac "Ike" Potter and Annie Little.
6. Robert Little b 2 Nov 1934 Jackhorn KY d 1 Jan 1935 of bronchial pneumonia; age 1 month.
7. Madge Little b 20 Apr 1936 Jackhorn, Letcher Co KY d 19 Feb 2012; buried Green Acres Cemetery, Ermine, KY; m. 22 Dec 1951 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY to James P Bentley b 19 Nov 1929 Etty, Pike Co KY d 29 Mar 2002; buried Green Acres Cemetery, Ermine, Letcher Co KY; s/o Sam Bentley and Maryland Johnson.
8. Laferne "Fern" LIttle b 20 Nov 1938 Hemphill KY d Monday, 25 Mar 1996 Ridgecrest Nursing Home, Duffield VA age 57 years, 4 months, 5 days of age; buried Edwards Cemetery, Coeburn, VA; m. 24 Mar 1958 Jackhorn, KY to Bobby Joe Ritchie b 22 Oct 1932 Banner VA d Sunday, 13 Apr 2008 Letcher Manor Nursing Home, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; age 75; burial Edwards Family Cemetery, Sandy Ridge, VA; s/o John Ritchie and Pearl Williams. Bobby Joe Ritchie was a member of the Church of Christ, a veteran of the United States Army having served during the Korean Conflict, a member of the United Mine Workers of America where he served as the former president and was a retired coal miner having worked for Bethlehem Steel. Children of Bobby Joe Ritchie and Laferne "Fern" Little;
i. Connie Ritchie; m. Roy Johnson. Child of Roy Johnson and Connie Ritchie;
I. Noble "Nickey" Joe Johnson
ii. Izarel Ritchie
9. Tommy Little b 1940 Jackhorn, Letcher Co KY; m. 12 Nov 1960 Clintwood, Dickenson Co VA to Claudine Madison b 1942 Kano KY; d/o Curt Madison and Grace Adams.
10. Johnny Little b 1941 Letcher Co KY; m. 29 Aug 1959 Clintwood, VA to Betty Phillips b 1943 Dickenson Co VA; d/o Frank Phillips and Edna Hall.
11. Terry Little
12. Bobby Little
and Clabe Potter
Cynthia Johnson b 3 Oct 1905 Speight, Pike Co KY d 3 Sept 1988 Whitesburg ARH, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; d/o Lorenzo Dow Johnson and Elizabeth "Lizzie" Collier. Cynthia Johnson m. 5 Aug 1966 Clintwood, VA to Clabe Potter b 29 Jan 1901 Neon, Letcher Co KY d 4 Aug 1967 Jenkins, Letcher Co KY; s/o Reuben Potter and Arminda Hall.
21 Aug 1898 - 25 Aug 1964
World War I Draft
Sept 12, 1918 Registration
Name: Hayes Little; Address: Speight, Pike Co KY; Age in Years: 20; Date of Birth: August 20, 1898; Race: White; U.S. Citizenship: Native Born; Occupation: Farming; Employer's Name: Winfield Johnson; Address: Speight, Pike Co KY; Height: Medium; Build: Medium; Color of Eyes: Blue; Color of Hair: Black.
21 Aug 1898 - 25 Aug 1964
World War II Draft
16 Feb 1942 Registration
Name: Hayes Little; Residence: Jackhorn, Letcher Co KY; Age: 43; Place of Birth: Pike County; Kentucky; Date of Birth: Aug 10 1898; Name and Address of Person Who Will Always Know Your Address: Zack Little, Hartley, Ky. (brother); Employer's Name and Address: Elkhorn Coal Corp.; Place of Employment or Business: Jackhorn, Letcher Co KY; Race: White; Height: 5'9"; Weight: 140; Eyes: Blue; Hair: Black; Complexion: Light. (Notice his date of birth on this documnent is different from the one listed on his page).
1930 Letcher Co KY Census Millstone District 0025
200 206 Little Hayes Head M W 30 M 21 KY KY KY Coal Miner Coal Mines
200 206 Little Cyntia Wife H F W 24 M 14 KY KY KY
200 206 Little Goldie Daughter F W 9 S KY KY KY
200 206 Little Sophia Daughter F W 7 S KY KY KY
200 206 Little Elizabeth Daughter F W 5 S KY KY KY
200 206 Little Cledia Daughter F W 2 9/12 S KY KY KY
200 206 Little Frankie Daughter F W 2/12 S KY KY KY
200 206 Spencer Elizabeth Mother F W 47 S KY KY KY
200 206 Johnson Amanda Sister F W 13 S KY KY KY
1940 Letcher Co KY Census Hemphill 67-15
836 76 Little Hayes Head M W 41 M KY Trackman Coal Mines
836 76 Little Synthia Wife F W 34 M KY
836 76 Little Sophia daughter F W 17 S KY
836 76 Little Lizzie daughter F W 15 S KY
836 76 Little Cleta daughter F W 12 S KY
836 76 Little Frankie daughter F W 9 S KY
836 76 Little Madge daughter F W 4 S KY
836 76 Little Laferne daughter F W 1 S KY
Obituary: Madge Little Bentley
20 Apr 1936 - 19 Feb 2012
Madge Bentley, age 75 of Indianapolis, Indiana, formerly of Letcher County, Kentucky, passed away Sunday February 19, 2012. She was born on April 20, 1936, at Jackhorn, Kentucky, lived many years of her life in Letcher County, Kentucky, and also lived many years in Indiana. She was a homemaker and worked many years at Service Supply Company. Madge was of the Church of Christ faith since 1949.
She was daughter of the late Hayes Little and Cynthia Johnson Little, and was the widow of J.P. Bentley. She was also preceded in death by siblings, Cleda, Goma, Fern, Tommy, Johnny, and Bobby.
Survivors include her sisters, Lizzie Sloan and Frankie Potter; a brother, Terry Little; several nieces and nephews; and a host of other friends and relatives.
Visitation was on Thursday February 23, 2012, from 10:00 A.M. - 12:00 Noon at Carty Funeral Home, Neon, KY. Funeral services were at 12:00 Noon at the funeral home chapel, with Hargus Hall, officiating. Interment followed at Green Acres Cemetery, Ermine, Kentucky.
Obituary: Bobby Joe Ritchie
22 Oct 1932 - 13 Apr 2008
Bobby Joe Ritchie, age 75, of Jackhorn, KY passed away Sunday, April 13, 2008 at the Letcher Manor Nursing Home in Whitesburg, Letcher Co., KY. He was born on October 22, 1932 in Banner, Virginia to the late John and Pearl (Williams) Ritchie.
He was a member of the Church of Christ, a veteran of the United States Army having served during the Korean Conflict, a member of the United Mine Workers of America where he served as the former president and was a retired coal miner having worked for Bethlehem Steel.
Other than his parents, he was preceded in death by his wife; Fern (Little) Ritchie and four brothers: Gene, Hershel, Edward and Vernon.
He is survived by one daughter: Connie (Roy) Johnson of Jackhorn; one brother: Charlie Ritchie of St. Paul, VA; and one grandson: Noble "Nickey" Joe Johnson also of Jackhorn, KY. Bobby Joe will be sadly missed by a host of family, friends and loved ones.
Funeral services were held on Thursday, April 17, 2008 at 11:00 a.m. at the Neon Church of Christ, Neon, KY. Officiating ministers were: Brad Taylor, Daryl Strange and Johnny King. Interment followed in the Edwards Family Cemetery, Sandy Ridge, VA. Hall and Jones Funeral Home of Virgie, KY in charge of the funeral arrangements.
Obituary: Saferne Fern Little Ritchie
20 Nov 1938 - 25 Mar 1996
Laferne Ritchie, daughter of the late Hayes and Cynthia (Johnson) Little was born at Hemphill, Kentucky, on November 20, 1938. She passed from this life at the Ridgecrest Nursing Home at Duffield, Virginia, on Monday, March 25, 1996 making her stay here on earth 57 years, 4 months and 5 days.
Fern as everyone know her, has been in poor health for the past 14 years and seriously ill since September of 1995. Fern married Joe Ritchie at Jackhorn, Kentucky, on March 24, 1958.
Fern has been a sports journalist for the Community Press, a sales person and waitress for Family Drugs, until her health failed. She was a secretary for the Letcher County Fiscal Court.
She was preceded in death by sister Cleda Hall, brothers, Tommy, Johnny and Bobby Little.
Fern is survived by her husband Joe Ritchie of Jackhorn; daughter Connie and her husband Roy Johnson both of Jackhorn; her pride and joy, grandson Nickey Joe Johnson, son Izarel Ritchie of Jackhorn; brother Terry Little of Ranchwood, Missouri; sisters: Goma Bostain of Loraine, Ohio; Sophia Houston of Jackhorn; Lizzie Slone of Cleveland, Ohio; Frankie Potter of New Lexington, Ohio; Madge Bentley of Indianapolis, Ind. Also surviving are a host of other relatives and friends to mourn her passing.
Funeral services for Laferne Fern Ritchie were conducted at the Banks Funeral Home, Fleming-Neon, KY on Thursday, March 28, 1996 at 11:00 a.m. Pallbearers were family and friends. Officiating ministers: Brad Taylor and Lonzo Johnson. Burial followed in the Edwards Cemetery, Coeburn, VA. Arrangements handled by Banks Funeral Home, Inc. Fleming-Neon, KY.
Obituary: Cynthia Johnson Potter
3 Oct 1905 - 8 Sept 1988
Cynthia (Little) Potter, daughter of the late Loranze and Elizabeth (Collier) Johnson was born at Speight, Kentucky on October 3, 1905. She passed from this life at the Whitesburg Appalachian Regional Hospital on September 3, 1988, making her stay here on earth 82 years, 10 months and 28 days.
Cynthia was married to her first husband, Hayes Little in Pike County. He preceded her in death in August 1964. She then married Clabe Potter at Clintwood, Virginia 5 August 1966. He also preceded her on August 4 1967. One son Bobby and one daughter Cleda Hall also preceded her in death.
Cynthia has been in poor health for a number of years and very sick the last year of her life. She has been a member of the Church of Christ for 53 years.
Cynthia is survived by daughters: Goma Boston of Avon, Ohio; Sophia Houston of Jackhorn, Ky.; Lizzie Slone of Cleveland, Ohio; Frankie Potter of New Lexington, Ohio; Madge Bentley of Indianapolis, Ind.; Fern Ritchie of Jackhorn, Ky. Sons: Johnny Little of Indianapolis, Ind.; Tommy Little of Fleming-Neon, Ky.; Terry Little of Cleveland, Ohio. Sister: Amanda Hall of Jackhorn, Kentucky. Also surviving are 20 grandchildren, 24 great grandchildren and 2 great-great grandchildren and a host of other relatives and friends to mourn her passing.
Funeral Services for Cynthia (Little) Potter was conducted at her residence in Jackhorn, Kentucky on Tuesday, September 6, 1988 At 11 :00 a.m. Minister: Hassell Johnson. Pallbearers: Grandsons. Burial followed in the Green Acres Cemetery, Ermine, Kentucky. Banks Funeral Home of Fleming-Neon, Kentucky in Charge of funeral arrangements.
Obituary: Cleda Little Hall
5 Jul 1927 - 4 Apr 1971
CLEDA HALL, daughter of Cynthia Johnson and Hayes Little, was born at Jackhorn; Ky., July 5, 1927, passed from this life at the Lutheran Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio, April 4, 1971, being only 43 years, 8 months and 29 days of age at her passing. Cleda had been sick for quite some time.
She is survived by her mother of Jackhorn; children: Bobby Hall, Hayes Parnell and Hatzo Palaus of Cleveland; Ohio; sisters: Goma Bostian of Norwalk, Ohio; Sophia Houston and Fern Richie of Jackhorn; Lizzie Slone of Cleveland; Frankie Potter of New Lexington, Ohio; Madge Bentley of Indianapolis, Ind.; brothers: Johnny and Tommy Little of Indianapolis, Ind. And Terry Little of Cleveland, Ohio; and a large number of relatives and friends.
Funeral Services for CLEDA LITTLE HALL were held at the residence of her mother Jackhorn, Ky. on Wednesday, April 7, 1971 at 10:00 a.m. Pallbearers: Friends Ministers: Bro. Estill Hall and Hassel Johnson. Burial in Jackhorn Cemetery Jackhorn, Ky. Banks Funeral Home of Neon, Ky. in charge of funeral arrangements.