| Home | Links | Contact Us |

Descendants of Hans (John) Maegert Maggard


3844. Escar Edward Phillips

CA death index
Name: Escar Edward Phillips
Social Security #: 430204780
Birth Date: 12 Feb 1919
Birthplace: Arkansas
Death Date: 5 Dec 1990
Death Place: Sacramento
Mother's Maiden Name: Maggard

3850. Eugene Alonzo Maggard

The family of Eugene with wife # 2 (Lee) was provided by my Mother Lanora Dean Starling-Maggard

6696. Alma Jean Maggard

CA birth index
Name: Alma Jean Maggard
Birth Date: 22 Feb 1944
Gender: Female
Mother's Maiden Name: Hearn
Birth County: Tulare

3851. Cody Hollie Maggard

AR Marriage
Name: Hollie Maggard
Gender: Male
County: Pope
Spouse: Lenora D Starling
Marriage Date: 7 Jan 1939
License Date: 7 Jan 1939
Certificate Number: 23481
Volume Number: 0001

WW2 Army Enlistment
Name: Cody H Maggard
Birth Year: 1919
Race: White, citizen (White)
Nativity State or Country: Arkansas
State of Residence: California
County or City: Alameda
Enlistment Date: 28 Jul 1944
Enlistment State: California
Enlistment City: San Francisco
Branch: No branch assignment
Branch Code: No branch assignment
Grade: Private
Grade Code: Private
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)
Source: Civil Life
Education: Grammar school
Civil Occupation: Semiskilled chauffeurs and drivers, bus, taxi, truck, and tractor
Marital Status: Married
Height: 00
Weight: 000

Name: Cody H. Maggard
SSN: 431-18-3675
Last Residence: 72927 Booneville, Logan, Arkansas, United States of America
Born: 3 May 1919
Last Benefit: 72927 Booneville, Logan, Arkansas, United States of America
Died: Dec 1986
State (Year) SSN issued: Arkansas (Before 1951 )

Notes from my Mother:
He was born May 3, 1918.
Highest grade completed was 4th
He started working in the coal mines in the Dardanelle area when he was 15 years old to help his Mother support her family.
In 1939 he married Lanora Dean Starling in Russellville and they moved to California.
They had 6 children.
He worked in the Gold mines (Dinky Creek) and drove a truck before he joined the army when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.
He served in the South Pacific and was awarded a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for "Meritorious Achievement in ground operations against the enemy in the Asiatic-Pacific Theatre of Operation on about April 1, 1945". This was awarded on August 31, 1949. He was a Private First Class A.S.N. 39422017. He was a rifleman and saw combat with the 7th Div. He drove all types of heavy trucks for a quartermaster battalion in the South Pacific. Hauled rations and personnel.
After returning home he was severly injured while working in the timber, but this did not deter him from living a full life..
He did commercial fishing in the Arkansas river for several years until he became ill and died of cancer Dec. 22, 1986.
His favorite passtime was going to the horse races.
My mom used to call him a "Banty Rooster". He wasn't a big man in stature, may have weighed 175 soppin' wet. He wore a shoe that had a lift on it of about 5" due to the accident and removal of some bone in his leg, but he could out walk me in distance and speed. Towards the end of his life he had his Larynx taken out due to cancer and used one of those voice boxes. I remember going to the horse races with him one time and had a hard time keeping up with him. He'd go to where the Jockey's were preparing to mount and they would signal each other in their own special way (he was well known there) and then he'd take off to place a bet. He'd talk with that voice box as fast as he'd walk. Guess you could say he was a "walkin-talkin bookie", since he placed bets for other people too.

He bought a little Chihuahua (Kodiak) so my mom would have company when he was gone. Once when he was in the hospital in Booneville, AR, we brought "Kodiak" to the hospital and snuck him inside through the window. This was a small hospital mind you. The nurses saw what we did but they just shut the door and didn't say a word to anyone.

On his last Father's day I gave him a wonderful surprise. There were so many beautiful wild flowers growing along the mountain dirt road and I would stop and pick him some of each kind and took him a bouquet (never gave a man a bouquet before), well it wasn't until after his death that my mom told me he was allergic to some of those flowers. Mom always said though "It's the thought that count's"

He fished for a living and then for enjoyment and enjoyed horse racing until he died.

Shortly after his death, he left a little "remember me". My mother heard something "popping" in the kitchen and found my dad's left over "moonshine" running out all over her kitchen floor.
Thanks Dad for the memories.
Further notes:
I never grew up with my father, my parents divorced when I was very young. He married another, lived in Indiana for a period of time and provided a half brother. To my understanding, he left and moved back to California for a brief time. During that time, he assisted my mother during her recovery from major surgery. I do not recall this, but am told. He left and moved to Arkansas, met another woman and provided more half siblings.
In 1979 my mother and her "brood" moved to Arkansas. In 1981 my mother and father re-married. This was the period of time for my memories. 1981-1986. My father passed away with cancer. My mother nursed him at home. She never stopped loving him through all those years. She called him a Banty Rooster because he was a small man but "strutted his stuff" Her "Banty Rooster" is now gone.

Lanora Dean Starling

My Mother had to have been the best person I ever knew. She was always family oriented. Kept us as a fairly closeknit family. She was the pillar. Always forgiving, always hopeful, always there.

She loved to crochet and made many beautiful pieces. All the way from potholders to bedspreads.
Delicate pieces and heavy pieces. When scraps were what was available she used them to make patchwork laprobes and they were always beautiful. I will miss not having any new crochet pieces.

A lady from her church worked at a newspaper office and the left over rolls of thread/string they used to tie bundles of newspapers together she would bring to Mom to use in crochet...it truly is amazing what may be one's trash is anothers treasure. Many bedspreads, laprobes, chair backs, coasters, table placemats, potholders were made from those and they were beautiful heavy pieces.

She had a pacemaker.
She was a Melanoma survivor
She developed gall stones even though she did not have a gallbladder. Specialists could not ever figure that one out. Because of that, for many years she had to go into the hospital every six weeks and have a "crush and flush" procedure, technically it was called an ERCP. The procedure started out at 2 months time, then went to six weeks. At times it was less than six weeks she needed to be taken to ER. Her Pancreas would become infected, her liver enzymes would rise and she was in very much pain. Many midnight runds to ER.
This last time she went into ER on Tuesday, 8pm 4-1-2008. We thought it was just another procedure. This time it proved to be her last. Her blood pressure dropped and med's had to be given to get her BP up in order to give her pain med's. Antibiotics were started but proved useless. On the 7th day of her stay in the hospital, on the 99th day of the year at 4PM she passed.
She was unconscience much of the time. She did rally at times to smile at family coming to her side.
She said she wanted to go "home"....I thought she meant home on the mountain, and I was wanting to take her there......but she was asked if she was wanting to go home to Jesus...she very clearly, emphatically said "ABSOLUTELY".
Although she was ready to be with her LORD and SAVIOUR....it is hard to be without her.
My Mother and I lived together for the last 15 years, I not only became her caregiver, we were room mates, partners, friends, Mother and Daughter. The better half of me is no longer by my side.
She will be missed for ever and ever.

I must give much appreciation to the doctors and nurses at St. Edwards hospital in Ft. Smith, AR. They knew her well and always treated her with respect and kindness. Most patients did not have 4 large full folders with history in them, hers were very large. Her doctors, VanAshe, Fine, Miller, Swicegood were her main ones but there were others that took care of her too.
God saw you getting tired and a cure was not to be. So he put his arms around you and whispered "Come with Me". With tearful eyes we watched as you slowly slipped away. Although we loved you dearly, we could not help you stay. Your gentle heart stopped beating, a special Mother laid to rest. God broke our hearts to prove to us, he only takes the best. Author unknown
She was a nurse (LVN/LPN) in California for 20 years.
She retired retired and moved in the Quachita Mtns. between Booneville and Waldron, AR on October 31, 1979.
In 1981 she re-married my dad, Cody H. Maggard
My Mother recalls that a sister of her Mother's (cannot remember which one) was married to a "James" and their son was "Jesse James". She remembers dancing with him one time and said he was a very good dancer.
My mother put off going to the doctor herself until my Fathers passing away. When she did, she was diagnosed with Melanoma. They cut a big chunk of her arm out and gave her a year. That was in 1987. The next time she saw the doctor he told her "I thought you would be dead by now", and since she wasn't, he had to remove lymp nodes from under her arms that he had not done previously because he thought she was going to die.....don't count any of us out til we are put to the ground!!!!!

Mom had a brush with death the year of the "Great Ice Storm" in Arkansas. She collapsed and became paralyzed. She had been taking the prescription drug called "Baycol" (Shortly after her episode it was taken off the market) and after she was admitted her kidneys shut down and she was on the brink of death. Nine specialist were amazed she lived (some died from their episode). By the Grace of God she went to the ER (another midnight run) on the 7th of Dec. 2000. and remained until the 6th of Jan. 2001. Although she almost died even in the hospital, she WOULD have died if she had not gone when she did. When the storm hit, there was no way in or out for at least a week. Then the trees had to be cleared enough to get out and that was not an easy job. About nine and one half miles of clearing mountain roads. So thank the Good LORD......He always knows best.
Lanora Maggard
Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:19 AM CDT
BOONEVILLE , Lanora Dean Maggard, 86, of Booneville died Tuesday, April 8, 2008, in Fort Smith, She was born March 11, 1922, in Knox City, Texas. She was a retired nurse, a member of Union Hope Baptist Church in the Tate community and the widow of Cody Hollie.
Funeral will be 10 a.m. Saturday at Roberts Memorial Chapel in Booneville with burial at Bloodsworth Cemetery near Tate.
She is survived by three daughters, Elaine Shook and Roxie O'Hagan, both of Tate Community, Booneville, AR and Dorinda Thornsberry of Jackson, TN; a son, Dave Riley of Tate; 19 grandchildren; 27 great-grandchildren and three great-great-grandchildren.
Pallbearers will be Mark Thornsberry, Zachariah O'Hagan, Derek Thornsberry, Riley Maggard, Darryn Thornsberry and Todd Thornsberry. (Pallbearer names changed here from. The newspaper in error)
The family will visit with friends from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at the funeral home.
The Waldron News
16 April 2008

Lanora Dean Maggard, 86, of Booneville, Arkansas was born March 11, 1922 in Knox City, Texas to Omer Dewey and Grace Leona (Wooley) Starling. She passed away April 8, 2008 in Fort Smith, Arkansas. She was a retired nurse and a member of the Union Hope Baptist Church in the Tate Community near Booneville. She was known as "Ma Maggard" or "Grandma Maggard" to those that knew and loved her. She as a true prayer warrior and enjoyed crocheting. She is preceded in death by her husband, Cody Hollie; her parents; Omer Dewey Starling and Grace Leona Wooley-Starling, son James Hollie, daughter Judith Maggard and brother, Omer L. Starling. Funeral service was at 10:00 a.m. Saturday, April 12, 2008 at Roberts Memorial Chapel in Booneville with burial at Bloodsworth Cemetery near the Tate community, near Booneville, Arkansas, under the direction of Roberts Funeral Home. She is survived by three daughters, Elaine Shook of the Tate Community, AR, Dorinda Thornsberry of Jackson, TN and Roxie O'Hagan of the Tate Community, AR; one son, Dave Riley of Tate Community, AR; 19 grandchildren; 27 great-grandchildren and three great-great grandchildren. Pallbearers were Mark Thornsberry, Zach O'Hagan, Derek Thornsberry, Riley Maggard, Darryn Thornsberry and Todd Thornsberry. Honorary pallsbearers were Jeff Shook, James R. Shook.

6697. James Hollie Maggard

CA birth index
Name: James Hollie Maggard
Birth Date: 8 Apr 1940
Gender: Male
Mother's Maiden Name: Starling
Birth County: Tulare

Nina Lee Vanover

A Hank Greenburg, Eureka, IN was a relation to the Vanover's, am trying to find connection. A Distant cousin

3852. Perry Garland Maggard

Name: Perry Garland Maggard
Birth Date: 5 Feb 1921
Death Date: 17 Jul 2000
Service Start Date: 29 Sep 1942
Interment Date: 20 Jul 2000
Cemetery: Little Rock National Cemetery
Cemetery Address: 2523 Confederate Boulevard Little Rock, AR 72206
Buried At: Section 22 Site 370
Family source from my Mother, Lanora Dean Starling-Maggard

Copy of letter in scrapbook:
Re-Written here for clearer reading.
Headquarters Fourteenth Air Force
A.P.O., 287, c/o Postmaster
New York City, NY
Dated 22 Aug. 1945
General Orders} # 114
1. Under the provisions of War Department Circular No. 333, dated 22 Dec. 1943, the following named organization is cited for outstanding performance of duty in action against the enemy:

Between 24 May 1944 and 28 April 1945 this group preyed relentlessly on the Japanese Sea shipping lanes between the Japanese homeland and her conquests throughout southern Asia and adjacent insular territories. During most of this period, this Group was the only organization among all the Allied forces in a position to conduct interdiction operations against this vital supply line. Operating from bases in China, the Group swept the East and South China Seas, the Straits of Formosa and Gulf of Tonkin through all kinds of weather, sinking and damaging nearly three-quarter of a million tons of vital Japanese shipping. They sunk 107 merchant vessels and sank 12 enemy naval vessels, including three cruisers and seven destroyers. They probably sank 29 vessels and damaged 48, for a total of 427,252 tons of shipping sunk, 102,765 tons probably sunk and 187,045 tons damaged. Pressed by the constant need for economy of operations from air-supplied China, the Group forsook the usual high altitude style of bombing to attain accuracy and minimum expenditure of bombs. Heroically and deliberately the combat crews developed and employed low altitude tactics that brought their slow, heavy bombers down to within 400 feet of their targets during attacks. This exposed their aircraft to murderous fire from the armed merchantmen and naval ships they attacked. On a number of occasions, the crews carried out attacks at 400 feet over entire convoys of eight to twelve armed merchant and naval ships. Throughout the cited period the Group was forced to fly much of its own gasoline and bombs over the "Hump" (Himalayan Mountains) into China, and in the same period was forced to evacuate from three bases before the advance of enemy ground forces. For several months the Group launched its sea search missions from a base behind enemy lines in east China. the phenomenal achievements of the 308TH BOMBARDMENT GROUP (H) in it interdiction of these vital enemy shipping lanes are the result of extraordinary heroism, gallantry, determination and esprit de corps demonstrated by the members of this organization. Their attainments are consonant with the finest traditions of the American military service.

Colonel, G.S.C.
Chief of Staff
/s/ Henry A. Beasley
Lt. Col. A.G.D.
Adjutant General

(Signed by)
Captain, Air Corps

3853. Bernice Callie Maggard

Family information source Lanora Dean Starling-Maggard

Jasper Boggs

WW1 Draft Reg. Card (B) June 5, 1917
Name: Jasper Boggs
Age: 30
Home Address, Roxana, KY
Occupation: Farming
Employer: Geo Hogg & Son, Roxana, KY
Married with children
County: Letcher
State: Kentucky
Birthplace: Kentucky
Birth Date: 1 Jun 1887
Race: Caucasian (White)
Roll: 1653500
WW2 Draft Reg. Card
Name: Jasper Boggs
Age: 56
Place of residence: Rt.128, Miami, Hamilton, OH
Born: Roxana, KY
Birth Date: 1 Jun 1886
Race: White
Who will know where you are: Mahala Boggs, Rt.128, Hamilton,OH
Employer: Cleve Danaway Trucking, Miami, Hamilton, OH
Roll: WWII_2371682
Name: Jasper Boggs
Death Date: 25 Apr 1965
Death Place: Letcher
Age: 079
Volume: 62
Certificate: 30984

6714. William Boggs

KY birth index
Name: William Boggs
Date of Birth: 22 May 1916
County: Letcher
Mother's Name: Mahala Maggard
Volume Number: 208
Certificate Number: 94750
Volume Year: 1951

6717. Cora Boggs

KY birth index
Name: Cora Boggs
Date of Birth: 23 Apr 1923
County: Letcher
Mother's Name: Halla Maggard
Volume Number: 054
Certificate Number: 26505
Volume Year: 1923

6718. Joseph Everett Boggs

KY birth index
Name: Joseph Everett Boggs
Gender: Male
Date of Birth: 3 Nov 1925
County: Letcher
Mother's Name: Mahala Maggard
Register Date: 11 Jul 1989
Volume Number: 188
Certificate Number: 91145
Volume Year: 1989

| Home | Links | Contact Us |