| Home | Links | Contact Us |

Descendants of Hans (John) Maegert Maggard


7621. Leona Marie Patrick

Mrs. Leona Marie Maggard, 50, Reeds Route 1, died at 4:45 a.m. today at McCune-Brooks Hospital where she had been a patient since Nov. 25. She had been failing in health the last year.
Born Sept. 21, 1924, she had resided in the Reeds area her lifetime, and was married to Joseph Daniel Maggard on Nov. 18, 1947, in Carthage, who survives.
Additional survivors include two sons Rex Maggard and Clarence Maggard of the home; her father Harvey Patrick of Carthage; six brothers Glenn Patrick, Route 1, Gene Patrick, route 2, Raymond Patrick and Tony Patrick, both of LaRussell; Kenneth Patrick, Avilla, aand Otis Patrick, Carthage; four sisters Mrs. Velma Llewellyn, Springfield, Miss Shirley Patrick, Mrs. Virginia Phillips and Miss Thelma Patrick, all of Carthage.
Arrangements will be announced by the Ulmer Funeral Home.

Joseph Daniel "Joe" Maggard

REEDS-Joseph D. Maggard, 70, died at 10:53 p.m. Friday, October 15, 1999, at McCune-Brooks Hospital Skilled Nursing, Carthage, after a long illness.
Mr. Maggard was born Feb. 17, 1929, in Douglas County. He had been a long time resident of the Reeds area. He was employed by Carthage Lime Company, where he worked for 25 years before retiring.
He maried Frances Kendrick on Feb. 8, 1986, in LaRussell. She survives.
Additional survivors include two sond, Rex Maggard, Carthage, and Clarence Maggard, Reeds; three step sons, Justin Shields, Carthage, Jesse Shields, Neosho, and Doug Shields, Key West, Fla.; three brothers, Cecil Maggard, Hermiston, Ore., Eddie Maggard, LaRussell, and Roy Maggard, Jerico Springs; three sisters, Esther Patrick, Carthage, Beulah Clapper, Pierce City, and Florence O'Sullivan, Ava; and one grandchild.
Services were held at 3 p.m. today at the Housh Funeral Home Chapel, Sarcoxie. The Rev. Betty Graham officiated.
Burial was in Reeds Cemetery.
Nephews served as pallbearers.
Carthage Press,

7622. Glenn Iley Patrick

Notes from family members....I thank them for sharing their memories:

My Dad's Birth certificate has his name as Glen Ila Patrick but was told by his mother his name was spelled Glenn Iley. He says his mom named him so she ought to know how it is spelled.

I always loved to hear my dad tell stories of when he was young. He has an interesting way with words, using the neatest expressions. One could never tell the stories in the same way.

When Dad was a young boy, his Uncle Ellis, would take him to town and buy him a candy bar. He would watch Dad like a hawk to make sure he ate it. I assume Uncle Ellis wanted Dad to have a special treat. Dad would take it out of the wrapper, throw the wrapper away as though he had eaten it and carefully hide the candy bar to take home and break in pieces for his brothers and sisters. Dad has always had a giving heart. He would give the shirt off his own back if he thought you needed it.

Dad remembers the Depression somewhat. He came from a large family, so I'm sure the Depression effected them greatly. He had to quit school at a young age to work and help support them. It is told that when they asked for money for something, he would throw himself down and roll up on the hump on his back and cry, "I'm scalped, I'm scalped." He never made it past 3rd grade. Every time he went back to school, they would put him back in the 3rd grade.

At the age of 5 1/2 yrs. Dad was badly burned from the hips down. His family was camped out in a tent near Reeds, MO in order to pick strawberries. The tent caught fire which woke the baby, Uncle Cecil. Uncle Cecil was laughing at the fire which awoke their mother. She quickly woke the family and grabbed the baby. Uncle Ellis grabbed what he thought was dad, but it turned out, he only had a handful of blankets. Grandpa was determined to go back in and save Dad. Uncle Ellis told him that it would be too late, but Grandpa rushed back in and grabbed Dad. Dad had tried to get out himself by butting his head against a beam. It took two years for him to learn how to walk again. He has always had trouble keeping his feet warm since.

Dad says he got into a lot of fights when he was young but would get the worst end of it unless his brother Gene was there. Gene was the fighter being fast with his fists. Gene and Dad would tangle sometimes and Gene would knock him out. When Dad would come to Gene would say, "I told you, I told you."

I have learned a lot from my dad. He taught us children that you have to work hard to make a living. Lazy people just don't cut it. He worked a lot of hours in order to support his family of seven children. He worked at Carthage Crushed Limestone in Carthage, MO. His hours were usually 3:00 P.M. - 11:00 P.M. unless he worked overtime. In the summertime, after only a few hours of sleep, he would get up and go to the hayfields to mow, rake and bale hay. He then came home eating lunch about 2:00 P.M. and went to work again. Somehow Dad managed to take care of his cattle as well. He always looked so tired and we were always so glad to see him.

Dad is in bad health now. He has emphysema and is on oxygen. He also is losing toes due to an angiagram. While having this test done, plaque was knocked loose which showered into Dad's feet. He is not a candidate for surgery, so has to let his toes die naturally. It is difficult watching this man who was so strong and such a hard worker, struggle to get on crutches to walk. Most of the time he has to use a wheelchair. We thought we were losing him a couple of times. The family was called to the hospital because he supposedly was dying, but Dad is a fighter. He says that while he was in the hospital, he went to Heaven where God showed him around. Dad wanted to stay but God told him that he had to go back and witness to his family.

| Home | Links | Contact Us |