George Wilson McPeek
and Linda Ellen Sanders
George Wilson McPeek b 10 Apr 1880 Clintwood, Dickenson Co VA d 20 Jun 1951 Virgie, Pike Co KY; buried Sanders Cemetery, Ashcamp, Pike Co KY; s/o William McPeek and Winnie Emily Mullins. George Wilson McPeek m. 6 Feb 1902 Ashcamp, Pike Co KY to Malinda Ellen Sanders b 17 Feb 1885 Ashcamp, Pike Co KY d 5 Jun 1960 Pike Co KY; d/o Hiram Hillard Sanders and Winnie Childers. Children of George Wilson McPeek and Linda Ellen Sanders;
1. Escal McPeek b 19 Nov 1902 Hylton, Pike Co KY d 4 Jul 1963 Louisa, Lawrence Co KY; buried Sanders Cemetery, Ashcamp, Pike Co KY; m. 7 Aug 1930 Pikeville, Pike Co KY to Viola Sowards b 19 Nov 1910 Pike Co KY d 23 Feb 2014 Pike Co KY; buried Sanders Cemetery, Ashcamp, Pike Co KY; d/o Levi Sowards and Sally Mullins. Viola Sowards m. 17 Sept 1966 to Gabe Newsome b 26 Jan 1909 d 6 Nov 1978; buried Greer Cemetery, Myra, Pike Co KY. Children of Escal McPeek and Viola Sowards; i. Glen Allen McPeek b 27 Jun 1930 Dorton, Pike Co KY d 26 Aug 1931 Dorton, Pike Co KY; buried Sanders Cemetery, AShcamp, Pike Co KY ii. Kenneth Everett McPeek b 8 Apr 1932 Dorton, Pike Co KY d 23 Apr 1997; buried Sanders Cemetery, Ashcamp, Pike Co KY iii. Frank D McPeek b 6 Mar 1937 Pike Co KY d 23 Jul 2014 Fort Pierce, St. Lucie Co FL; buried Sanders Cemetery, Ashcamp, Pike Co KY
2. Winnie Emily McPeek b 26 Aug 1904 Hylton, Pike Co KY d 30 Jun 1992 Clearwater, Pinellas Co FL; buried Sanders Cemetery, Ashcamp, Pike Co KY; m. 26 Dec 1929 Elkhorn Creek, Pike Co KY to Benjamin Franklin Sizemore b 6 Jul 1882 Carter Co KY d 14 Sept 1973 Warren, MaComb Co MI; s/o Woodson Sizemore and Lydia Marcum.
3. Luella McPeek b 13 Apr 1906 Hylton, Pike Co KY d 2 May 1936 Jenkins, Letcher Co Ky; buried Sanders Cemetery, Ashcamp, Pike Co KY; m. F Marian Tucker b 1907.
4. Gusta McPeek b 26 Jul 1908 Hylton, Pike Co KY d 2 Jan 2007 Ruskin, Hillsborough Co FL; buried Sanders Cemetery, Ashcamp, Pike Co KY; m. 26 Aug 1933 Pikeville, Pike Co KY to Thomas Hartness Lawhorn b 6 May 1914 Pike Co KY d 14 Jun 1984 Clearwater, Pinnellas Co VL; buried Sanders Cemetery, Ashcamp, Pike Co KY; s/o Tom Lawhorn and Ella Bartley.
5. Lilburn McPeek b 28 Nov 1910 Hylton, Pike Co KY d 3 Jul 1942 Dickenson Co VA; buried Sanders Cemetery, Ashcamp, Pike Co KY; m. 17 Jul 1931 Pike Co KY to Mary Silcox.
6. Zilpha Mae McPeek b 13 Apr 1913 Hylton, Pike Co KY d 11 Aug 1994 Spartansburg, Spartansburg Co SC; buried Boiling Springs First Baptist Church, Boiling Springs, Spartanburg Co SC; m. (1) Henry Lan McMillion. Zilpha Mae McPeek m. (2) William Shuford Harding b 11 Jul 1922 d 17 Nov 1968 Jonesville, Union Co SC; buried Boinling Springs First Baptist Church Cemetery, Boiling Springs, Spartanburg Co SC; s/o Walter Hardin and Ella Jackson.
7. Burl McPeek b 26 Sept 1916 Hylton, Pike Co KY d 17 May 2001 Lexington, Fayette Co KY; m. (1) Laura Unknown. Burl McPeek m. 18 Mar 1939 Pike Co KY to Lexie Reece b 5 Jun 1919 Sycamore, Pike Co KY; d/o William Walter Reece and Elizabeth Senter.
8. Causbie McPeek b 16 Mar 1919 Hylton, Pike Co KY d 23 Sept 1920 Hylton, Pike Co KY; buried Sanders Cemetery, Ashcamp, Pike Co KY
9. Frona McPeek b 1 Aug 1921 Hylton, Pike Co KY d 10 Jan 1987; buried White City Cemetery, Fort Pierce, St. Lucie Co FL; m. Ulis Collins b 2 Mar 1922 d 22 Jan 2005 Racoon, Pike Co KY
Obituary: William Shuford Hardin
11 Jul 1922 - 17 Nov 1968
Original obituary appears in the Spartanburg Herald Journal Obituary Section on, Tuesday, Nov. 19, 1968, on page 18. Boiling Springs, SC - William Shuford Hardin died on Sunday, Nov. 17, 1968 following a brief illness.
Son of the late Walter and Ella Jackson Hardin and husband of Mrs. Ziltha McMillan Hardin.
Native of Spartanburg County, SC and member of the Boiling Springs Baptist Church. A U. S. Army World War II Veteran and member of the Woodmen of the World. Member of the Lone Oak Masonic Lodge and was employed by Crown Chemical Southern.
Married twice, first to the lat Ella Mae Chapman Hardin, who passed away in 1956. Survivors included: two sons; one daughter; three sisters; Clifton and Rev. T. B. Hardin; and one grandson. He was 46 years of age at demise and interment was in the Rock Hill Baptist Church Cemetery in Spartanburg County, SC. (Original obituary was rewritten to conform to Findagrave Rules by Record Hunter.) Left by Record Hunter on 11 Jul 2017
Obituary: Viola Sowards McPeek
November 19, 1910 - February 23, 2014
Viola McPeek age 103 passed away Sunday, Feb. 23, 2014 at the Parkview Nursing Home. Viola was born on Nov. 19, 1910 to her parents the late Levi Sowards and Sally Mullins Sowards. She was the wife of the late Escal McPeek, a homemaker, and a member of the Dorton Freewill Baptist Church.
Along with her husband and parents, Viola was preceded in death by two sons, Glen Allen McPeek and Kenneth Everett McPeek, three brothers, Rodolph, Ben, and Jack Sowards, and three sisters, Delphia Maddox, Goldie Wright, and Martha Mullins.
Viola is survived by one daughter, Carol Jean Mullins, one son, Frank D. McPeek, three sisters, Hester Baker, Mary Clem, Helen Newsome, eight grandchildren, Ernie, Gary, Diane, Stoney, Pam, Christy, Tamera, and Melinda, seven great grandchildren, two great great grandchildren, and a host of loving family and friends.
Visitation will be Tuesday at 6p.m. at Pilgrim's Prayer Church. Church services will be Tuesday and Wednesday at 7p.m. The funeral will be Thursday, Feb. 27, 2014 at 1p.m. at the Pilgrim's Prayer Church with Old Regular Baptist Ministers officiating. Burial wil follow in the Sanders Cemetery at Sycamore Creek.
1920 Pike Co KY Census Sycamore District 0116
61 61 McPeek Wilson Head M W 40 M KY VA VA Farmer Farm Labor
61 61 McPeek Linda Wife F W 35 M KY KY KY
61 61 McPeek Escal Son M W 17 S KY KY KY
61 61 McPeek Winnie Daughter F W 15 S KY KY KY
61 61 McPeek Luella Daughter F W 13 S KY KY KY
61 61 McPeek Gusta Daughter F W 11 S KY KY KY
61 61 McPeek Lilbern Son M W 9 S KY KY KY
61 61 McPeek Zilpha Daughter F W 6 S KY KY KY
61 61 McPeek Burl Son M W 3 2/12 S KY KY KY
61 61 McPeek Causba Son M W 3 8/12 S KY KY KY