John J Potter
and Rosa Jane Tolliver
John J Potter b 8 Jun 1911 d 5 Nov 1965; buried Reuben Potter Cemetery Hemphill, Letcher Co KY; s/o Samuel Potter and Mattie Wright. John J Potter m. 13 Oct 1934 to Rosa Jane Tolliver b 9 Aug 1918 Millstone, KY d 11 Apr 1984 St Joseph Hospital, Lexington KY; buried Reuben Potter Cemetery, Hemphill, Letcher Co KY; d/o of Willie Elkanie Tolliver and Ottie Fulton. Children of John J Potter and Rosa Jane Tolliver;
1. Goline Potter (Colleen?) b 9 Jan 1935 d 21 Apr 1935; buried Reuben Potter Cem, Hemphill, KY
2. James Potter b 27 Jan 1936 d 27 Jan 1936; buried Reuben Potter Cem, Hemphill, KY
3. Betty Joe Potter; m. Male Bentley
4. Reba Mae Potter b 9 Feb 1939 Neon KY d 12 Nov 2016 Hazard KY; buried Reuben Potter Cemetery, Jackhorn, KY; m. John Martin Green (deceased)
5. Willie Gean Potter b 1 May 1941 d 21 Sep 1943; buried Reuben Potter Cemetery, Hemphill KY
6. George Henry Potter b 26 Jul 1943 Letcher Co KY d 28 Mar 1999 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; buried Reuben Potter Cemetery, Hemphill, Letcher Co KY; m. Female Reed; d/o Jim Reed and Opal Johnson. George Henry Potter m. (2) Female Noble.
7. Phyllis Ann Potter; m. Male Bentley
8. Samuel D Potter b 23 May 1947 Letcher Co KY d Friday, 28 Mar 2014 Pikeville, KY; age 66 years, 10 months and 28 days; buried Dishman Family Cemetery, Hemphill, Letcher Co KY; m. 22 Sept 1983 Clintwood, VA to Barbara Dishman.
9. Melvin Carol Potter b 5 Oct 1948 Hemphill, Letcher Co KY d 5 Mar 2018 Pikeville, Pike Co KY; buried Reuben Potter Cemetery, Jackhorn, KY; m. Linda Kay Hall (deceased).
10. David Potter b 18 Dec 1949 d 18 Dec 1949; buried Reuben Potter Cemetery, Hemphill KY.
11. Daniel Potter (deceased)
Obituary of George Henry Potter
26 Jul 1943 - 28 Mar 1999
George Henry Potter son of the late John J Potter and Rosa J Tolliver Potter. He was born at Letcher County Kentucky 26 July 1943 and entered eternal life Sunday 28 March 1999 at the Whitesburg Appalachian Regional Hospital, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY, being 55 years 8 months and 2 days of age at the time of his passing. He is survived by 3 sons, Anthony Tyrone POtter, of Dalton, Georgia, Matthew Henry Potter of Jackhorn, Kentucky, George Douglas Potter of Jenkins, Kentucky; 3 daughters, Sandra Renee Adams, Jackhorn, Kentucky, Beverly Ann Potter of Calhourn, Georgia and Georgia Louise Kincer of Morehead, Kentucky; 2 brothers, Sam D Potter of Jackhorn, Kentucky, and Melvin Carol Potter of Bottom Fork, Kentucky; 3 sisters Betty Joe Bentley of Jackhorn, Kentucky, Reba Mae Greene of Payne Gap, Kentucky and Phyllis Ann Bentley of Whitesburg, Kentucky; also surviving are 7 grendchildren and a very close friend, Btty Joe Taylor of Camp Branch, Kentucky. In charge of funeral arrangements; Everidge Funeral Home of Whitesburg, Letcher County, Kentucky. He was buried at the Reuben Potter Cemetery, Jackhorn, Letcher County, Kentucky.
Obituary of Reba Mae Potter Greene
February 9, 1939 - November 12, 2016
Reba Mae Greene, age 77, of Whitesburg, Kentucky, passed away on November 12, 2016 at the Appalachain Regional Hospital in Hazard, Kentucky. She was born on February 9, 1939 in Neon, Kentucky. Reba was a member of the Hemphill Baptist Church for fifty-two years. She enjoyed being a devoted Christian, mother and grandmother. She was a daughter of the late John Potter and Rosie Tolliver Potter. She was also preceded in death by her husband, John Martin Greene; one son, Greg Hall; one great grandson, Jacoby Mullins; four brothers, George Potter, Sam Potter, James Potter and Daniel Potter; two sisters, Willie Jean Potter and Colleen Potter. She is survived by two daughters, Shanda (Byron) Carter of Whitesburg, Kentucky and Martina (Josh) Yonts of Jenkins, Kentucky; two sons, Randy (Carolyn) Potter of Burdine, Kentucky and Eddie (Katrena) Hall of Jenkins, Kentucky; a special son, Alex Williams; two sisters, Betty Bentley of Jackhorn, Kentucky and Phyllis Bentley of Alabama; one brother, Melvin Potter of Pennsylvania. Reba also leaves behind thirteen grandchildren and eighteen great grandchildren; along with a host of other family and friends. Funeral service was held on Tuesday-November 15, 2016 at the Hemphill Baptist Church at 1:00 PM with Pastor Danny Hurst officiating. Burial was at the Ruben Potter Cemetery in Jackhorn, Kentucky.
Obituary of Melvin Carol Potter
October 5 1948 - March 5, 2018
Melvin Carol Potter, age 69, of Jackhorn, Kentucky passed away Monday, March 5, 2018 at the Pikeville Medical Center of Pikeville, Kentucky. He was born on October 5, 1948 in Hemphill, Kentucky.
He was a son of the late John and Rosie Tolliver Potter. He was also preceded in death by his wife: Linda Kay Hall Potter; one infant son: Melvin Merle Potter; one grandson: James King; two brothers: Sam D. Potter and George Henry Potter; one sister: Reba Mae Greene.
Survivors include four daughters: Kathy Newman (Paul) of Clintwood, Virginia, Karen Stines (Jerry) of Wise, Virginia, Melanie Collier King (Archie) of Stanville, Kentucky and Nikki Potter (Donald) of Smithfield, Pennsylavania; two sons: Tim Hall (Ann) of Premium, Kentucky and John Potter (Angie) of McRoberts, Kentucky, two sisters: Phyllis Bentley of Jackhorn, Kentucky and Betty Jo Bentley of Jackhorn, Kentucky; sixteen grandchildren; fifteen great grandchildren; along with a host of other family and many friends to mourn his passing.
Melvin loved all of his grandchildren and he had a very special bond with his grandson: Draycen. He was also eagerly looking forward to the arrival of his new great grandson: Grayden.
Visitation for Mr. Potter will be held on Thursday, March 8, 2018 at the Hemphill Baptist Church, with family viewing at 5:00 PM and public visitation from 6:00 PM to closing of the church.
Funeral services for Mr. Potter will be conducted from the church on Friday, March 9, 2018 at 11:00 AM with Pastor Danny Hurst officiating.
Burial will follow in the Reuben Potter Family Cemetery at Jackhorn, Kentucky.