John Calvin Potter and
Hattie Rosemond Holcomb
John Calvin Potter b 30 Jan 1897 Neon, Letcher Co KY d 9 Feb 1956 Elizabethton, Carter Co TN; buried Happy Valley Cemetery, Carter Co TN; occupation, Coal Miner and Farmer; s/o Reuben Potter and Arminda Hall. John Calvin Potter m. 4 Jul 1917 Letcher Co KY to Hattie Rosemond Holcomb b 27 Feb 1903 Letcher Co KY d 24 Mar 1972 Elizabethton, Carter Co TN; buried Happy Valley Cemetery, Carter Co TN; d/o Prince Edward Holcomb and Cora Phynetta Holbrook. Children of John Calvin Potter and Hattie Rosemond Holcomb;
John Calvin Potter and Hattie Rosemond Holcomb
Hattie Rosemond Holcomb and John Calvin Potter
Hattie Rosemond Holcomb and John Calvin Potter
1. Herbert Potter b 1918 KY d 1918 KY
2. Lola Potter b 1919 KY d 1919 KY
3. Willie T Potter b 24 May 1920 Letcher Co KY d 10 Mar 2003; m. 14 Oct 1939 to Rebecca June Vanover b 10 Sept 1919 Dorton, Pike Co KY d 11 Dec 2005 Cincinnati OH; d/o Benjamin H Vanover and Della Rose Johnson.
4. Charlsie Virginia Potter b 3 Aug 1922 KY d 8 Sept 2005; m. 19 Jun 1942 to (1) Heirl Julian. Charlsie Virginia Potter m. (2) Warren Gullis
5. Edith Evangeline Potter b 30 Oct 1924 Goose Creek, Letcher Co KY d 20 Aug 2003; m. 14 Jul 1942 to (1) Hall Cordell. Edith Evangeline Potter m. (2) Marshall Shlagle. Edith Evangeline Potter m. to (3) Gary Prince.
6. Arminda Potter b 28 Aug 1927 KY d Hemphill, Letcher Co KY; m. 16 Feb 1945 to Tee McMahan. Arminda Potter m. to (2) Frank Smith. Arminda Potter m. to (3) Charles Hubbard.
7. Cora Phymetta Princie Potter b 30 Dec 1929 Goose Creek, Letcher Co KY d 30 Aug 2010 Pike Co KY; buried Haven of Rest Cemetery, Mayking, Letcher Co KY; m. 10 Nov 1951 to Arnold Hern McPeek b 8 Mar 1927 Dorton, Pike Co KY d 22 Oct 2009 Dorton, Pike Co KY; buried Haven of Rest Cemetery, Mayking, Letcher Co KY; s/o Beldon Arthur McPeek and Elsie Pearl Johnson.
8. Normalea Morell Potter b 28 Aug 1932 Goose Creek, Letcher Co KY d Letcher Co KY; m. about 1954 to William Walter "Bill" Hall b 14 Mar 1924 Letcher Co KY d 9 Aug 2017 Lexington, Fayette Co KY; buried Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Fayette Co KY; s/o William Basil Hall and Arlie Ison. Children of William Walter "Bill" Hall and Normalea Morell Potter;
i. Michael Hall b about 1951; Child; Mollianne Hall m. Male Bennett. Thanks to Michael Hall for adding information for this family in our guestbook 12 Aug, 2008.
ii. Della Sue Hall; m. Bobby Brown
iii. William Walter Hall Jr; m. Teresa Unknown.
iv. Elizabeth Hall; m. Terry Watts
9. John Calvin J C Potter b 8 Dec 1934 Jenkins, Letcher Co KY d 18 Apr 2007 TN; buried Happy Valley Memorial Park, Elizabethton, Carter Co TN; m. 17 Apr 1954 Elizabethton TN to Mary Spence b 11 Mar 1936 Wayne Co WV.
10. James Edward Potter b 20 Dec 1938 Goose Creek, Letcher Co KY d Friday, 29 Jul 2011; m. (1) to Jane Whitehead. James Edward Potter m. (2) to Martha Hinkle. James Edward Potter m. to (3) Jo Unknown. Child of James Edward Potter; i. Donella Potter; m. Male Beasley. Child of Male Beasley and Donella Potter; I. Britni Beasley.
11. Geneva Sue Potter b 31 Mar 1942 Goose Creek, Letcher Co KY; m. 28 Jun 1958 to Harry Hurst.
1940 Letcher Co KY Census 67-16A
237 Potter Calvin Head M W 44 M VA Miner Coal mines
237 Potter Hattie Wife F W 37 M KY Merchant Retail grocery store
237 Potter Charlcie Daughter F W 17 S KY
237 Potter Edith Daughter F W 15 S KY
237 Potter Minnie Daughter F W 12 S KY
237 Potter Princy Daughter F W 10 S KY
237 Potter Morell Daughter F W 7 S KY
237 Potter John Son M W 5 S KY
237 Potter James Son M W 1 S KY
238 Potter Willie T Head M W 19 M KY Miner Coal Mines
238 Potter Rebecca Wife F W 20 M KY
Obituary: William Walter Hall
14 Mar 1924 - 9 Aug 2017
William Walter Hall, 93, husband of Norma Lee Hall, passed away August 9, 2017 at his residence in Lexington (Fayette Co KY). Born to the late William Basil and Arlie Ison Hall on March 14, 1924 in Letcher, KY.
A WWII Veteran in the U.S. Army, he retired as a Captain in the Army Reserves. Walter was the band director at Lafayette High School before becoming Assistant Superintendent of Fayette Co. Schools, from which he retired in 1984.
In addition to his loving wife of 63 years, survivors include one son William Walter (Teresa) Hall, Jr. of Lexington; one daughter Elizabeth (Terry) Watts of Lexington; one brother Charles (Ruth) Hall of Lexington; three grandchildren, Beth Parsons of Bowling Green, Will Hall of Wilmore, and Justin Hall of Cincinnati; and five great-grandchildren, Chloe and Caden and London, Camden, and William Walter, IV.
Graveside service Saturday 11am at Lexington Cemetery, with Rev. Dan Russell of Immanuel Baptist Church officiating. In lieu of flowers, donations to the KY Hemophilia Foundation, 1850 Taylor Ave, Louisville, KY 40213
Obituary: Hattie Rosemond Holcomb Potter
February 27, 1903 - March 24, 1972
In Memoriam - March 24, 1972 - Mrs. Hattie Potter. Mrs. Hattie Potter, 69 Route 1 Elizabethton, died at 1 p.m. Friday in the Carter County Memorial Hospital following an illness of one week. Mrs. Potter was a native of Kentucky, having lived in Elizabethton for the past thirty-one years, and was preceded in death by her husband, John Calvin Potter, in 1956. She was a member of the Carter County Memorial Hospital Auxiliary and Senior Citizens Club. Mrs Potter was a member of the Roan Street Church of God. Survivors are six daughters, Mrs. Charlcie Ollis, East Lake, Ohio; Mrs. Edith Price, Willoughby, Ohio; Mrs. Armanda McMahan, Hampton; Mrs. Cora McPeek, and Mrs. Morell Hall, both of Elizabethton, and Mrs. Sue Hurst, Cincinnati, Ohio; three sons, Willie T. Potter, Cincinnati, Ohio; John Calvin Potter Jr., Brunswick, Ohio, and James Edward Potter, Jonesboro; three sisters, Mrs. Edna Venters, Sebring, Fla.; Mrs. Victora Crase, West Union, Ohio, and Mrs. Ival Franklin, Cincinnati, Ohio; one brother, Willie Holcomb, Charry Fork, Ohio; twenty-eight grandchildren and twenty great grandchildren also survive. Hathaway - Percy Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Obituary: James Edward Potter
December 20, 1938 - July 29, 2011
Mr. James Edward Potter, 72, of Elizabethton died Friday, July 29, 2011 in Life Care of Elizabethton. A native of Letcher County, KY he was the son of the late John Calvin and Hattie Rosemond Holcomb Potter. Mr. Potter was a retired auto mechanic and he attended Doe River Freewill Baptist Church. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by three sisters and two brothers. Survivors include a daughter, Donella Beasley, Elizabethton; a granddaughter, Britni Beasley, Elizabethton and three sisters, Arminda McMahan, Hampton; Morell Hall, Elizabethton and Sue Hurst, Dandridge, TN. Several nieces and nephews also survive. Private disposition for Mr. James Edward Potter will be held at a later date.