and Clarinda Godsey
Logan Henry Neal Salyer b 31 May 1835 Nickelsville, Scott Co VA d 3 May 1916 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; s/o Samuel Salyer and Lydia Culbertson. Logan Henry Neal Salyer m. 10 Aug 1854 to Clerinda J Godsey b 1829 Scott Co VA d 1881. Children of Logan Henry Neal Salyer and Clerinda Godsey;
1. Dicy E Salyer b 1851
2. Helen C Salyer b 15 Jul 1855 Scott Co VA d Jun 1918; m. (1) Judge S E Baker. Helen C Salyer m. 7 Oct 1875 Scott Co VA to Enos Hilton b ? d 1891 Norton VA; Enos was shot to death in the fall of 1891 in Norton, Wise County, Virginia, by Talt Hall, while serving a warrant on Hall's cousin, Miles Bates.
3. Drury Wallace Salyer b 31 Mar 1857 Scott Co VA d 8 Mar 1932 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; m. 20 Mar 1879 Wise Co VA to Hester Ann Bruce b 28 Dec 1861 d 26 Nov 1944.
4. Lydia A Salyer b 15 Dec 1858 Scott Co VA d 3 Feb 1862
5. Harriet M Hattie Salyer b 1 Feb 1862 Scott Co VA d 1936 Norton, Wise Co VA; m. 23 Dec 1886 Wise Co VA to Sylvan M Taylor
and Clara Nottingham
Logan Henry Neal Salyer b 31 May 1835 Nickelsville, Scott Co VA d 3 May 1916 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; s/o Samuel Salyer and Lydia Culbertson. Logan Henry Neal Salyer m. Clara Nottingham. Children of Logan Henry Neal Salyer and Clara Nottingham;
1. Maude Salyer b 1883 d 1906; m. Charles Cook
2. Shilelah Salyer b 1887 d 1972 Lexington, Fayette Co KY; m. W A Springfield
and Nannie Hargis
Logan Henry Neal Salyer b 31 May 1835 Nickelsville, Scott Co VA d 3 May 1916 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; s/o Samuel Salyer and Lydia Culbertson. Logan Henry Neal Salyer m. Nannie Hargis. Child of Logan Salyer and Nannie Hargis;
1. Nina Salyer b 1891 d 1893 Hazard, Perry Co KY
and Sarah Combs
Logan Henry Neal Salyer b 31 May 1835 Nickelsville, Scott Co VA d 3 May 1916 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; s/o Samuel Salyer and Lydia Culbertson. Logan Henry Neal Salyer m. Sarah Combs b 1875 Perry Co KY. Children of Logan Salyer and Sarah Combs;
1. Effie Virginia Salyer b 27 Jun 1894 Hazard, Perry Co KY d 23 Aug 1980 New Smyrna, Volusia Co FL; m. (1) August Kissell b 18 Sept 1886 d Dec 1965. Effie Virginia Salyer m. 11 May 1911 Letcher Co KY to Emory Leslie Crenshaw b 5 Nov 1890. Child of Emory Leslie Crenshaw and Effie Virginia Salyer; i. Virginia Ruth Crenshaw b 28 Jan 1912; m. (1) Carl D Culbertson. Virginia Ruth Crenshaw m. George Duval.
2. Samuel Tyree Salyer m. 16 Jul 1896; m. 27 Feb 1921 to Lillian Wigginton
3. John E Salyer b 2 Nov 1899; m. Lulu Chamberlain
4. Clarence D Salyer b 7 Oct 1903 d 2 Jan 1966; m. Anita Taulbee
5. William Slemp Salyer b 15 Feb 1907; m. Dortha Mae Hooper
Source: Lesa P Frommer - firstname.lastname@example.org
1860 Wise Co VA Census
676 Salyer, L H N 25 M Clerk VA
676 Salyer, Clarinda J 30 F Housekeeper VA
676 Salyer, Helen C 5 F VA
676 Salyer, Drury D 3 M VA
Colonel Logan Salyer
In The Civil War
Note: Colonel Salyer had charge of the unit of Wise County in the Civil War. He fought in the battles of Fort Donaldson, Seven Pines, Fredricksburg, Gettysburg, Chancellorsville and Antietam. He stated that 101 men enlisted at the time he did and only two of them came out untouched by shot, shell or saber. In one battle he had sixteen holes shot through his clothes. He said "At Fort Donaldson, I was shot through the body while leading my men in the fight, and was sent away by steamboat crowded with the wounded to Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee. A soldier in the struggle of death fell across my body and died there. He lay on me a long time for there was no one to remove him and I was too weak from loss of blood to do it. I finally recovered sufficiently to rejoin my regiment." "At Chancellorsville, I received a wound across my head by a sword in a bayonet charge. I fell unconscious. The Federals threw me in a ditch face down for dead. The sisters of charity who were picking up the wounded noticed I was a Confederate Officer and turned me over and found I was still breathing."