Hilliard Jackson Smith
and Armelda Melda Combs
Hilliard Jackson Smith (aka Hilyard) b 13 Apr 1855 Perry Co KY d 29 Apr 1914 (or 19 Apr 1915) Knott Co KY; age 54 years; s/o William Medford "Med" Smith and Martha Ashley. Hilliard Jackson Smith m. 24 Sept 1879 Perry Co KY to Armelda "Melda" Combs b 28 Aug 1862 Allock, Perry Co KY d 15 Mar 1953 Knott Co KY; d/o Jackson "Jack" Combs and Mary Ann Young. Children of Hilliard Jackson Smith and Armelda Melda Combs;
Hilliard Jackson, Leona and Armelda Combs Smith
Back: Elijah Smith. L-R Front: Armelda (Combs), Larcena and William McKinley Smith
Marriage Bond of Hilliard (Hilyard) Smith and Armelda (Melda) Combs 24 Sept 1879 Signed by Fielden Combs
1. Bethany Lauranie Smith b 28 Aug 1880 Knott Co KY d 18 Feb 1954 Floyd Co KY; m. 30 Aug 1895 Troublesome Creek, Knott Co KY to Benton Smith b 25 Mar 1877 KY d 21 Nov 1966 Prestonsburg, Floyd Co KY; s/o Jordan Smith and Mary Ann Combs.
2. John Riley Smith b 1 Jan 1882 Knott Co KY d 20 Feb 1940 Perry Co KY; m. Nancy Nannie Belle Breeding b 4 Nov 1884 d 22 Jul 1926; d/o James H Breeding and Vina Cody. John Riley Smith m. abt 1926 Leathie Maude Vires b 13 Sept 1905 d 15 Feb 1984; d/o Clay Vires and Sallie Vires. John Riley Smith m. (3) Virgie Hall b abt 1911 KY.
3. Leona Smith b 14 Apr 1884 d 12 Aug 1966; m. (1) James Jim Hale. Leona Smith 1884 m. (2) 29 Mar 1909 to Elijah "Green" Fuller b abt 1872 KY; s/o Elijah "Bunt" Fuller and Martha Combs. Leona Smith m. (3) Joel Martin "Mart" Potter b abt 1875 KY.
4. Vina Bell Smith b 27 Mar 1886 Knott Co KY d 19 Jul 1946 at home, Vicco, Perry Co KY; of heart failure; age 60 years 3 months, 28 days; buried Irishman, Hazard, Perry Co KY; m. Thomas Smith b 9 Sept 1882 KY d 17 Sept 1958 KY; s/o Jordan Smith and Mary Ann Combs.
5. Mary Ann Smith b 1 Dec 1887 Knott Co KY; m. 23 Dec 1903 Knott Co KY to Jeremiah J Combs b 1880; s/o James Madison Combs and Mary Ann Smith.
6. Martha "Marthy" Jane Smith b 14 Aug 1890 d 12 Apr 1979 Knott Co KY; buried the Greasy Burgey Cemetery; Pine Top, Knott Co KY; m. 12 Mar 1906 to Maryland Amburgey b 18 Dec 1880 d 26 Feb 1965; buried Greasy Burgey Cemetery, Pine Top, Knott Co KY; s/o William "Greasy Bill" Amburgey and Minerva Pratt.
7. William McKinley Smith (aka Tipple Bill) b 22 Apr 1896 Knott Co KY d Mar 1984; m. Lucinda Sis Calhoun b 21 Feb 1897 Troublesome Creek, Perry Co KY d 5 Dec 1983; buried Carr Fork Cemetery, Littcarr, Knott Co KY; d/o Walton Calhoun and Sarah Cornett.
8. Elijah Smith b 17 Aug 1901 Knott Co KY d 29 May 1932 Knott Co KY; of tuberculosis of lungs; age 30 years, 9 mos. 12 ds.; buried Combs Cemetery, Smithsboro, Knott Co KY; (undertaker listed as Armelda Smith his mother); m. 23 Aug 1924 Sassafras, Knott Co KY (by W. G Combs in the presence of Martha Amburgey and Ida Smith) to Nancy Franklin b 28 Nov 1903 Knott Co KY d 28 Feb 1951 Knott Co KY; buried Cornett's Hill moved to Carr Fork Memorial Cemetery, Brinkley, Knott Co KY; d/o Davis Franklin and Mary Jent. (Marriage Notes: Attest: John Sturgill - County Court Clerk Book 10 pg 198).
9. Larcena Smith b 18 May 1904 Knott Co KY d 21 Jun 1952 Grandview Hospital, Dayton, Montgomery Co OH; age 48; of pulmonary edema, coronary arteriosclerosis, marked cardiac decompensation, bronchial asthma, corneal ulcers; buried Smith Cemetery, Hazard KY; m. Franklin Smith b 12 Dec 1890 d 22 Dec 1941; s/o Jordan Smith and Mary Ann Combs.
As always, thanks to familysearch.org for most of the information on this and all other pages on this site. Without familysearch.org in particular, their census records, I don't believe I could recover my information yahoo deleted from this website without reason in 2015. Since then, I have worked daily to restore what I lost. I can't say enough good things about the family search website. They are a real blessing.
1910 Knott Co KY Census Lower Carr
115 117 Combs Jack Head M W 74 M2 13 KY KY KY
115 117 Combs Lucy Wife F W 34 M 13 KY KY KY
115 117 Combs Polina Daughter F W 12 S KY KY KY
115 117 Combs Margaret Daughter F W 9 S KY KY KY
115 117 Combs Sabrina Daughter F W 7 S KY KY KY
115 117 Combs Pearly Daughter F W 5 S KY KY KY
115 117 Combs Stanley Son M W 4 S KY KY KY
115 117 Combs Etta Daughter F W 2 S KY KY KY
124 127 Smith H J Head M W 52 M1 29 KY KY KY (s/o Alexander Smith & Mary Ashley)
124 127 Smith Milley Wife 48 M 29 KY KY KY (d/o William Medford Smith & Martha Ashley)
124 127 Smith Shep Son M W 26 S KY KY KY
124 127 Smith Barbara Daughter F W 24 S KY KY KY
124 127 Smith Granville Son M W 20 S KY KY KY
124 127 Smith Willie Son M W 20 S KY KY KY
124 127 Smith Melvina Daughter F W 14 S KY KY KY
124 127 Smith George Son M W 12 S KY KY KY
124 127 Smith John Son M W 5 S KY KY KY
124 127 Smith Teddy Son M W 3 S KY KY KY
1920 Knott Co KY Census Lower Carr
HH# #Visit Lastname, Firstname, Home Owned or Rented, If Owned Free or Mortgaged, Sex, Color or Race, Age at last birthday, Single Married Widowed or divorced, Attend School anytime since Sept 1 1919, Able to Read, Able to Write, Birthplace, Mother Birthplace, Father Birthplace, Occupation, Industry.
145 151 Fuller, Green Head R M W 48 M Yes Yes KY KY KY Yes Farmer General Farming
145 151 Fuller, Leona wife F W 35 M yes yes KY KY KY
145 151 Fuller, Green son M W 11 S yes yes yes KY KY KY
145 151 Fuller, Bessie daughter F W 9 S yes yes yes KY KY KY
145 151 Fuller, Ida daughter F W 7 S yes KY KY KY
145 151 Fuller, Minnie daughter F W 5 S KY KY KY
145 151 Fuller, Delza B. Son M W 4 S KY KY KY
145 151 Fuller, Elijah Son M W 11/12 S KY KY KY
146 152 Smith, Armelda Head O F F W 58 W No No KY KY KY Yes Farmer General Farm OA
146 152 Smith, Elijah Son M W 18 S No Yes Yes KY KY KY Yes Laborer Home Farm W
146 152 Smith, Larcena daughter F W 15 S No No No KY KY KY yes None