and Maggie Blair
Elijah Hale b 26 Dec 1886 Wolfpen, Knott Co KY d 25 Jan 1923 Wolfpen, Knott Co KY; buried Mallie Knott Co KY; s/o Noah Hale and Rebecca Amburgey. Elijah Hale m. 6 Feb 1912 Knott Co KY to Maggie Blair b 25 Aug 1884 Knott Co KY d 6 Feb 1955 Breathitt Co KY; d/o Stephen Riley Blair and Martha R Polly. Children of Elijah Hale and Maggie Blair;
1. Dellas Hale b 3 Nov 1912 Butte, Silver Bow Co, Montana d 27 Sept 1993 Kettering, Montgomery Co OH, Buried Spring Hill Cemetery, Harrodsburg, Mercer Co KY; Plot: Sec R Lot 34 Grv 11; m. James Henry Jim Kays b 3 Aug 1905 Mercer Co KY d 12 Feb 1985 Lexington, Fayette Co KY; buried Spring Hill Cemetery, Harrodsburg, Mercer Co KY; Plot: Sec R Lot 34 Grav 12; s/o Ulysses Simpson Grant Kays and Mary Jane Thompson. Row R Dellas Hale was born in Montana while her father, Elijah Hale worked on the railroad there. They returned to Knott Co, KY months after her birth. She was a Registered Nurse. Child of James Henry Jim Kays and Dellas Hale; i. James Grant Jimmy Kays b 17 Sept 1946 Fayette Co d 19 Apr 2009 Dayton, Montgomery Co OH; Polt: 19 B 491; military service; SSgt US Air Force Vietnam. ii. Mary Lynn Kays b 16 Sept 1942 d 22 Dec 2015 Centerville, OH; m. Aug 1967 to Brian Bergsten. Children of Brian Bergsten and Mary Lynn Kays; I. Annie Bergsten; m. Eric Molnar II. Paul Bergsten; m. Melanie Unknown.
2. Dona Hale (aka Donna) b 1 Jan 1914 Wolfpen, Knott Co KY; m. 5 Nov 1934 Letcher Co KY to Bruce Bates b 4 Dec 1913 KY d 22 Nov 1984 London, KY. Dona Hale m. 4 May 1940 Letcher Co KY to McKenzie Strong b 15 Jul 1918 d 23 Aug 1991 New Lebanon OH; buried Preble Memorial Gardens, West Alexandria, OH. Dona Hale m. 18 Aug 1943 Letcher Co KY to Glaydon Amburgey b 8 Jan 1906 KY d 28 Jan 1975 Prestonsburg Hospital, Prestonsburg, KY, buried Hale Cemetery, Wolfpen, Knott Co KY. Dona Hale m. abt Oct 1985 Letcher Co KY to Kearnie Ison b 10 Dec 1912 d 10 Dec 1987 (or 12 Oct 1987) Crase's Branch, Letcher Co KY; buried Isom Presbyterian Church, Isom, Letcher Co KY.
3. Delmas Hale b 18 Sept 1915 Wolfpen, Knott Co KY d 11 Jul 1936 Wolfpen, Knott Co KY; buried Hale Cemetery, Wolfpen, Knott Co KY; never married.
4. Dura Hale b 24 Dec 1916 Wolfpen, Knott Co KY d 14 Sept 1999 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; buried Hale Cemetery, Wolfpen, Knott Co KY; m. (1) Mary Frazier b 24 Feb 1928 KY d 15 Jun 1991 Jefferson Co KY; buried Hale Cemetery, Wolfpen, Knott Co KY; d/o Millard Frazier and Sarah Smith. Mary Frazier Hale was 1st buried 19 Jun 1991 in Evergreen Cemetery, Jefferson Co KY and later moved to the Hale Cemetery, Knott Co KY. Dura Hale m. (2) Lilly Moss Smith. Lilly Moss Smith m. (1) to Male Campbell. Dura Hale was a retired Air Force Master Sergeant; a Korean and WWII Veteran.
5. David Hale b 4 Oct 1918 Wolfpen, Knott Co KY d 26 Aug 2002 Alabaster, AL; buried Midway Cemetery, Jemison AL; m. (divorced) (1) to Dale Evan Lambert. David Hale m. (2) Virginia Gragg b 9 Jan 1917. David retired 31 Aug 1966 as a Msgt (Master Sergeant) from Air Force, WWII and Korean War Vet. He died in Briarcliff Nursing Home, Alabaster AL.
6. Dalma Hale b 28 Oct 1920 Wolfpen, Knott Co KY d 31 Mar 1985 Ft Wayne, Allen Co IN, St Joseph Hospital; buried Hale Cemetery, Wolfpen, Knott Co KY; m. 24 Sept 1938 Neon, Letcher Co KY at Neon Church of Christ to Claude Amburgey b 26 Mar 1910, Pine Top, Knott Co KY d 1 Sept 1975 Ft. Wayne, Allen Co IN; buried Hale Cemetery, Wolfpen, Knott Co KY; s/o William Riley Amburgey and Sabrina Franklin. Claude Amburgey wa a Corporal 1961 Service Command Unit - Sharpshooter - Induction 16 Mar 1944 - Entry 16 Mar 1944 at Ft Thomas, KY - military occupation was stock clerk. Military Discharge 18 Dec 1945 Mitchell Convalscent Hospital, Camp Lockett, CA. 7 children; i. Claudette Leora Amburgey ii. Gary Phillip Amburgey iii. Judy Faye Amburgey iv. Janice Alberta Amburgey v. Dianah June Amburgey vi. Suerita Darlene Amburgey vii. Vicki Lynette Amburgey. Although Claude had no middle name, he sometimes made up ones such as Colbert and Grimsley. He told daughter Dianah that if someone insisted on a middle name, he just made one up.
7. Daniel Hale b 2 Sept 1922 Wolpen, Knott Co KY d 2 Apr 1923 Wolfpen, Knott Co KY; buried Hale Cemetery, Wolfpen, Knott Co KY
8. Arthur Doc Hale b 23 Jul 1923 Wolfpen, Knott Co KY d 8 Oct 2000 Deltona FL; buried Woodlawn Memorial Park Cemetery, Gotha FL. Retired Air Force Master Sergeant WWII and Korean War Vet. Arthur Doc Hale m. Jackie Sutphin d FL; d/o Tilden Sutphin and Margaret Fletcher of Pound, Wise Co VA. Sisters; Hazel and Maud Sutphin. Arthur Doc Hale m. (2) Eva Mae Sandy Smith.
Obituary of Donna Dona Hale Amburgey Ison
Donna “Dona” Hale Amburgey Ison, daughter of the late Elijah and Maggie Blair Hale, was born in Knott County, Kentucky, on January 1, 1913. She entered eternal life on Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at her residence on Crases Branch in Letcher County, being 90 years, 1 month, and 25 days of age at the time of her passing. Donna was married to the late Glaydon Amburgey, who passed away on January 28, 1975. She later married Kearnie Ison, who entered eternal life on October 12, 1987. Donna was a member of the Mt. Olivet Old Regular Baptist Church at Blackey, Kentucky. She was also a member of the Blackey Senior Citizens. Donna is survived by three sons, Bruce Bates of Helenwood, Tennessee, Donald Amburgey of Cleveland, Ohio, and James Amburgey of Ulvah, Kentucky; three daughters, Sherelene Tull of Jacksonville, Florida, Gettie Hunley and Pam Francine Sexton, both of Letcher, Kentucky; one step-son, Kearnie Ison Jr. of New Hudson, Missouri; and two step-daughters, Shelia Rudia of Lincoln Park, Missouri and Teresa Gross of Jackson, Kentucky. Also surviving are 28 grandchildren, 33 great grandchildren, 1 great-great granddaughter and a host of other relatives and friends to mourn her passing. Donna was preceded in death by two sisters, Dalma Amburgey and Dellas Kays and three brothers, Dura Hale, David Hale, and Arthur Hale. We always wondered why God took you so fast, Mom, until a few months ago. Mom and Dad, your brown haired little baby girl is coming your way. Take her to meet our Lord and Master. I know both of you are with Him. Some day I have a great hope of seeing you again. Mom and Dad were the greatest parents anyone could ever have. I miss you, we all miss you. Written by son, James “Jim” Amburgey
More About Maggie Blair Hale
Maggie Blair Hale supported her family after the death of Elijah by doing laundry and cleaning for people. She lived on Crase's Branch, Letcher Co KY at time of her death. Marriage certificate shows occupation railroad worker, age 25 yrs. Elijah worked in Wyoming on railroad prior to return to Knott Co, Ky to marry. He and Maggie traveled to Montana in a covered wagon where he resumed railroad work. She was unhappy there and they returned to Knott Co, KY shortly after birth of their 1st child, Dellas Hale. Elijah's headstone shows DB 12/26/1884. 1900 Knott Co Mag Dist2 Carr, Ky census shows DB Nov 1886, age 13,farm laborer. Elijah died of lung condition. He had surgery at home. He still had the drainage tube in his side and arm in a sling in a family photo taken shortly before he died. Elijah Hale was a Baptist preacher.
Obituary of Mary Lynn Kays Bergsten
Daughter of Dellas Hale and James Henry Kays
BERGSTEN, Mary Lynn On December 22, 2015, Mary Lynn Bergsten was welcomed into the loving arms of her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. She yielded up her pure and gentle spirit to its creator. For the first time in twenty-five years she is free of pain. She passed at Otterbein Retirement Center after a long battle with rheumatoid arthritis and dementia. Born in Lexington, KY on September 16, 1942 to her parents James Henry Kays and Dellas Hale Kays, who preceded her in death, Mary Lynn had one brother, Jimmy Kays, who also predeceased her. She is survived by her husband of 48 years, Brian Bergsten, and her children Annie (Eric) Molnar, and Paul (Melanie) Bergsten. She has five grandchildren, Cole and Maggie Molnar, and, Hunter, Chase, and Mason Bergsten. Mary Lynn graduated from Asbury College, Wilmore, KY with a BA in Music Education and Organ Performance. She also earned a Master's degree in Music from the University of Kentucky. She taught music in the Lexington schools for two years, and, after her marriage in August 1967, two more years in West Carrollton, OH. Mary Lynn was a truly extraordinary woman. Upon moving to the Dayton area, she joined the Local chapter of the American Guild of Organists, and soon became the Dean of the organization. She and Brian joined the newly founded Fairhaven Church, and Mary Lynn became organist. Her involvement with the music program was a key in its growth to its present megachurch status. She was instrumental in the installation of a magnificent pipe organ at the current Fairhaven. Mary Lynn was in charge of the children's music program at Fairhaven, and when she was no longer able to play the organ, due to arthritis, she founded the Kettering Children's Choir. The choir gained national recognition with many trips around the US and three European tours. Mary Lynn was a beautiful individual who was loved by many. She was a wonderful mother and loyal friend. Everything she did was done with excellence. Whether it was a music program at the church, a KCC performance, or one of many parties in her home, everything was done for the Glory of the Lord. A multitude of people have been touched by her life of service. A Celebration of her life will be held at Fairhaven Church, Centerville, OH on January 5, 2016. Family will receive friends at 10:00 am and with service at 11:00 am. Pastors Jim Futrell, Ron Julian, Pete Schwalm and Ted Zabel will participate. Arrangements entrusted to Newcomer Funeral Home South Chapel. To send a special message, please visit www.NewcomerDayton.com. Published in Dayton Daily News (Dayton OH) on Dec. 27, 2015