and Drucilla Craft
Isom Sergent b 23 Nov 1864 Letcher Co KY d 20 May 1920 Letcher Co KY; buried Sergent Cemetery, Democrat, Letcher Co KY; Findagrave Memorial; s/o Andrew Jackson Sergent and Elizabeth Nolan. Isom Sergent m. 4 Aug 1893 Letcher Co KY to Drucilla Sillar Craft b 4 Dec 1874 Millstone, Letcher Co KY d 20 Dec 1959 Millstone, Letcher Co KY; buried Sergent Cemetery, Democrat, Letcher Co KY; Findagrave Memorial; d/o Enoch Arden Chunk Craft and Mary Polly Ann Caudill. Children of Isom Sergent and Drucilla C Sillar Craft;
1. Enoch Andrew Sergent 9 Sept 1894 KY d 16 Apr 1967 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; m. 16 Mar 1916 to Stella Taylor b 1898 d 4 Mar 1983 Letcher Co KY
2. Sarah Elizabeth Sergent b 4 Aru 1896 KY d 11 Oct 1984; m. 11 Sept 1913 to Benjamin Harrison Profitt
3. Samuel Calvin Sergent b 20 Feb 1900 KY d 26 Mar 1979; m. 11 Oct 1923 to Polly Ann Taylor b 1908. Child of Samuel Calvin Sergent and Polly Ann Taylor; i. Ethel Lone Sergent b 25 Mar 1925 Millstone, Letcher Co KY d 15 Feb 1992 Kingsport, Sullivan Co TN; m. William Bruce Sanders b 28 Mar 1927 Dunham, Letcher Co KY d 16 Sept 1993 Mesa AZ; buried Mountain View Memorial Gardens, Mesa AZ.
4. Bennie Benjamin Emory Sergent b 3 Dec 1901 Millstone, Letcher Co KY d 9 Jun 1938 Tillicum, Pierce Co WA; in a boating accident; buried Sergent Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY. Military service; U. S. Army for 12 years and 5 months at the time of his passing.
5. Archie Columbus Sergent b 4 May 1905 KY d 15 nov 1987 Salem, Washington Co IN; buried Crown Hill Cemetery, Salem, Washington Co IN; m. 24 Dec 1925 to Sola Gertrude Cook b 8 Jan 1907 Letcher Co KY d 4 Sept 1994 Salem, Washington Co IN; d/o Floyd Cook and Lillian R Dopson.
6. William Hiram Sergent 25 Jun 1908 KY d 3 Aug 1988 Millstone, Letcher Co KY; buried Green Acres Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; m. Nannie G Cook b 20 Apr 1916 d 12 Aug 2000; buried Green Acres Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY
7. Joseph Sergent b 1 Sept 1911 WV d 24 Jul 1987 Baltimore, Baltimore Co MD; m. Alice Hobbs
8. Isom P Sergent 16 Apr 1920 d 27 Apr 1996; buried Green Acres Cemetery, Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY; m. Thelma C Sergent b 1921 d 1980; buried Green Acres Cemetery, Ermine, Letcher Co KY
Mt Eagle, Whitesburg, KY, June 23, 1938
Letcher Soldier Boy Loses Life In Accident
On The West Coast
Bennie E Sergent, who for 13 years had been serving his country as a soldier, accidentally lost his life last Thursday a week ago, when a small motor boat in which he and two companions were riding suddenly stopped and sank. He had been stationed on the Western Coast of the United States for several years and has not been home since 1935. He was the son of the late Isom and Sillar Sergent of the indian Creek section. His father having passed on several years ago but his mother is still living and at present resides at Millstone, Ky. Bennie was a fine young man and when quite young enlisted for service in the U. S. Army and had been in the service 12 years and 5 months at the time of his passing.
Sergent Lawhorn, who accompanied the body back across the country said Bennie, himself and another companion were riding in the boat when suddenly the motor stopped and it began to dip and sink, all being thrown clear of the boat and Bennie losing his life. Sergent Lawhorn spoke of the wonderful friendship he had for Bennie and what a fine soldier he was. He said Bennie was living a moral life and was well respected by all who knew him. The evening before the tragedy he was in the finest spirit and extremely happy. He said Bennie was a special pal of his.
Besides his mother the following brothers and sisters are left to mourn his passing; Enoch of Campbranch; Sarah E Profitt of Campbranch; Archie and Willie of Millstone; Sam of Indian Creek; Joe of Richland, Va.; and Isom Jr. of Millstone, and a host of relatives and neighbors. Funeral services were held by Elders Tommy Collier, Elzy Kiser, Newte Meade and G. B. Adams at the home and on Monday the casket wrapped in the American flag was taken to his old home on Indian Creek and there laid to rest in the family cemetery. The Burke and Craft Funeral Home had charge of the interment.
Mountain Eagle (Whitesburg, KY)
September 24, 1959, page 1
Obituary of Siller Craft Sergent
Aunt Sillar Sergent dies at Millstone Mrs Drucilla Sergent, 84, of Millstone, died at her residence on Sept 20. Widely known as "Aunt Sillar", Mrs Sergent was the widow of Isom Sergent. She is survived by seven children. Sarah E. (Harrison) Profitt, Camp Branch; William H Sergent , Millstone; Archie C. Sergent, Indiana; Samuel C. Sergent, Democrat; Enoch A Sergent, Camp Branch; Joseph Sergent, Maryland; and Isom Sergent, Jr of Millstone. Other survivors include a sister, Mrs. Sarah Franklin of Millstone.
Funeral Services were held at the Elizabeth Regular Baptist Church, conducted by Lewis Craft and Elbert Bentley. Burial was in the Sergent Cemetery on Rockhouse. Craft Funeral Home was in charge.
Mountain Eagle (Whitesburg, KY): October 1, 1959
OBITUARY OF DRUCILLA SERGENT
On December 4, 1874, God sent a flower to decorate the home of Enoch (Chuck) and Polly Ann Craft, a little daughter. She was so pretty and so humble that they chose one of the Biblical names for her, Drucilla. Here on Millstone Creek, she grew to a fair and beautiful young lady and always gladdened the hearts of Uncle Chuck and Aunt Polly Ann, and the rest of the family.
August 19, 1893, she placed her hand in the hand of Isom Sergent and vowed to God that she would be to him a true, devoted, and obedient wife until death do us part. This vow she kept to the letter. Isom departed this life in May of 1920, leaving Aunt Sillar with eight (8) children whom she raised and educated as well as she could. She remained true to her vow to Uncle Isom, living a widow for almost 40 years.
The children are Enoch and Sarah Elizabeth of Camp Branch, Sam of Democrat, Ben who lost his life serving his country, Archie of Charlestown, Ind., Joe of Essex Maryland, Bill and Isom Jr of Millstone.