William McKinley Smith
and Lucinda Sis Calhoun
William McKinley Smith (aka Tipple Bill) b 22 Apr 1896 Knott Co KY d Mar 1984; buried Carr Fork Memorial Cemetery, Littcarr, Knott Co KY; s/o Hilliard Smith and Armelda Combs. William McKinley Smith m. Lucinda Sis Calhoun b 21 Feb 1897 Troublesome Creek, Perry Co KY d 5 Dec 1983; buried Carr Fork Cemetery, Littcarr, Knott Co KY; d/o Walton Calhoun and Sarah Cornett. Children of William McKinley Smith and Lucinda Sis Calhoun;
Sis Calhoun and William McKinley Smith
William McKinley Smith
L-R: Joe Cornett and William McKinley Smith
1. Hillard Smith b 25 Jul 1917 Knott Co KY d abt 1918 (flu epidemic)
2. Adam Smith b 22 Apr 1918 Knott Co KY d 22 Apr 1918 (flu epidemic)
3. Orley Smith b 22 Apr 1918 Knott Co KY d 22 Apr 1918 (flu epidemic)
4. Mertie Smith b 21 Apr 1919 Knott Co KY d 31 Dec 1983 Hamilton, Butler Co OH; buried Greenwood Cemetery, Hamilton, Butler Co OH; m. Charles Marshall
5. Aaron Bennett Smith b 11 Apr 1921 Perry Co KY d 5 Sept 1987 Crittenden Co KY; m. (1) Pearl Smith Dobson. Aaron Smith m. 16/19 May 1950 Crittenden Co KY to Ocie Ophelia Miller b 28 Feb 1922 Crittenden Co KY d 2 Oct 2002 Salem, Livingston Co KY; d/o Cecil Miller and Bertha Millikan. Ocie Ophelia Miller m. Charles Eugene Glore b 15 Nov 1908 Crittenden Co KY d 15 Aug 1949 Crittenden Co KY; buried Whites Chapel Cemetery, Irma, Crittenden Co KY; s/o Hubert Lucian Glore and Dora Willis Agent. Charles Eugene Glore m. Bertha Lee Kirk b 1 Nov 1913 Crittenden Co KY d 1 Aug 1991 Crittenden Co KY; d/o Gillem Hayden Kirk and Ethel Daniel. Bertha Lee Kirk m. Sidney Lee Jack Tinsley b 4 Jul 1918 Crittenden Co KY d 7 Oct 2001 Marion, Williamson Co IL; buried Denning Cemetery, Orient, Franklin Co IL; s/o Elzie William Tinsley and Eddie Pearl Adams.
6. Grace Smith b 26 May 1923 Allock, Perry Co KY d 24 Feb 2011 Fort Thomas, Campbell Co KY; buried Odd Fellows Cemetery, Corinth, Grant Co KY; m. (1) Charles Howard Pickett b 23 Jul 1907 Harrison Co KY d 22 Jul 1978 Falmouth, Pendleton Co KY; buried Odd Fellows Cemetery, Corinth, Grant Co KY; s/o Harvey Frances Pickett and Pear5le Daily. Children of Charles Howard Pickett and Grace Smith;
i. Robert Joseph Pickett b 10 Oct 1945 OH d 1 Aug 1964; age 18; buried Odd Fellows Cemetery, Corinth, Grant Co KY.
ii. Agnes Marie Pickett b 9 Apr 1950 Owen Co KY d 26 Mar 2012; age 61; Dry Ridge, Grant Co KY; buried Jonesville Cemetery, Jonesville, Grant Co KY; m. 14 Jun 1968 to Herschel W Perry b 18 Jan 1950.
Grace Smith m. (2) Henry Clay Roberts b 27 Sept 1909 Berry, Harrison Co KY d 22 Jan 1994 Cincinnati, Hamilton Co OH; buried Camp Nelson National Cemetery, Nicholasville, Jessamine Co KY; s/o William Lafayette Roberts and Alice Jolly.
Henry Clay Roberts m. Goldie Mae Ecklar b 15 Sept 1909 KY d 29 Aug 1932 Harrison Co KY; age 22; Harrison Co KY; buried Pythian Grove Cemetery, Berry, Harrison Co KY; d/o Orville Bland Ecklar and Elizabeth C Lizzie Hill. Child of Henry Clay Roberts and Goldie Mae Ecklar;
i. Billy Windell Roberts b 9 Jul 1929 Harrison Co KY d 26 Jun 1948; age 18; Kenton Co KY; buried Pythian Grove Cemetery, Berry, Harrison Co KY
7. Ernest Smith b 12 Mar 1925 Perry Co KY d 23 Jun 1990 Kingsport, Hawkins Co TN; buried Church Hill Memory Gardens, Church Hill, Hawkins Co TN; m. (1) Josephine Neely. Ernest Smith m. (2) Lena Hinson b 17 Sept 1934.
8. Edgar Smith b 12 Nov 1926 Perry Co KY d 11 Nov 1981 Cincinnati, Hamilton Co OH; buried Crown Hill Memorial Park, Pleasant Run, Hamilton Co OH; m. Martha E Dyre b 1930 d 2014; buried Crown Hill Memorial Park, Pleasant Run, Hamilton Co OH. Children of Edgar Smith and Martha E Dyre;
i. Roger Smith b 1953 d 1979
ii. Randy Smith b 1955 d 1980
9. Helen Smith b 31 May 1928 Perry Co KY d 2014; buried Greenwood Cemetery, Hamilton, Butler Co OH; m. (1) Giles Perkins. Helen Smith m. (2) Gilbert Meyers.
10. Bessie Smith b 15 Dec 1929 Perry Co KY; m. 13 Jun 1950 Jackson MS to William Russell Squires b 25 Jun 1929 Morton MS d 23 Jun 2016 Brandon Court Nursing Home, Brandon MS; buried Brandon Memorial Gardens, Brandon MS; s/o James Bryant Squires and Emma Lee. Children of William Russell Squires and Bessie Smith; i. Helen Claire Squires; m. Male Cunningham.
Obituary: William Russell Squires
25 Jun 1929 - 23 Jun 2016
William Russell Squires 86, passed away Thurs. June 23, 2016 at Brandon Court Nursing Home in Brandon, MS. Visitation will be held on Sat. June 25, 2016 from 5pm - 7pm at Ott & Lee Funeral Home in Brandon, MS.
Funeral services are 3pm on Sun. June 26 2016 at the Ott & Lee Funeral Home Chapel in Brandon, MS with burial to follow in the Brandon Memorial Gardens in Brandon, MS.
Mr Squires was born in Morton, MS and was a longtime resident of Brandon, MS. He enjoyed fishing and was a great role model to children.
Mr. Squires favorite quote was by Mr. Danny Thomas; "A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child".
Mr. Squires is survived by his wife, Bessie Smith Squires; daughter, Helen Claire Squires Cunningham; special nephew, Gregory Lee Meyer; two sisters, Elizabeth "Sis" Waggoner, and Ruby Barfield (Richard); brother, Dennis Squires (Hazel); two great grandchildren, Trest Wingfield, and Magnolia "Maggie" Wingfield; a number of nieces and nephews and his pet cat, Sunny.
He is preceded in death by his parents, James Bryant and Emma Lee Squires; granddaughter, Wanda Doster and three brothers, James Squires, Bryant Squires Jr. and Earl Squires.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi at 800 Avery Blvd., Suite 100 Ridgeland, MS 39157-5075.
Published by Journal-News on Jun. 26, 2016.
Obituary: Agnes Marie Pickett Perry
9 Apr 1950 - 26 Mar 2012
Agnes Marie Perry, of Dry Ridge, KY. passed away Monday, March 26 (2012) at home at the age of 61. Mrs. Perry was born April 9, 1950 in Owen County, KY. to the late Charles Howard Pickett and Grace Smith Pickett Roberts.
Mrs. Perry was an insurance underwriter for State Farm Insurance in Williamstown and attended the Williamstown Christian Church. Mrs. Perry enjoyed crafts of all sorts and tending to her flowers. She loved her family dearly and spending time with her 5 grandchildren.
In addition to her parents, Mrs. Perry was preceded in death by a brother: Robert Joseph Pickett.
Mrs. Perry leaves to mourn her passing her husband: Herschel W. Perry. 1 daughter: Debra (Wayne Morgan) Kinman of Dry Ridge, KY., 1 son: Greg (Jennifer E.) Perry of Williamstown, KY., 2 sisters: Brenda (Ken) McClanahan of Lexington, KY. and Bobbie Dever of Florence, KY., 1 brother: William (Helen) Pickett of Florence, KY. 5 grandchildren: Chris Ingram, Matthew Ingram, Kaitlyn Kinman, Colton Perry and Samantha Perry.
Funeral services will be conducted 11:00 am Thursday, March 29 in the chapel of the Eckler-McDaniel Funeral Home, Dry Ridge with Rev. Gary Swick officiating.
Visitation will be on Wednesday from 5-9 pm.
Burial will be in the Jonesville I.O.O.F. Cemetery.
Obituary: Grace Smith Pickett Roberts
26 May 1923 - 24 Feb 2011
Grace Pickett Roberts, of Newport, Kentucky and formerly of Corinth, Kentucky passed away Thursday, February 24 (2011) at Hospice of the Bluegrass, Ft. Thomas at the age of 87. Mrs. Roberts was born in Allock, Perry County, Kentucky on May 26, 1923 to the late William McKinley Smith and Lucinda Calhoun Smith.
She was a homemaker and was preceded in death by her first husband: Howard Pickett and by her second husband: Clay Roberts. In addition to her husbands and parents, Mrs. Roberts was preceded in death by a son: Robert Pickett and by a sister: Mertie Marshall and by 3 brothers: Aaron Smith, Ernie Smith and Edgar Smith.
Mrs. Roberts is survived by 2 daughters: Brenda Pickett McClanahan of Lexington, Kentucky and Agnes Pickett Perry of Dry Ridge, Kentucky. She has 1 son: William Pickett of Florence, Kentucky and 2 sisters: Helen Meyer of Hamilton, Ohio and Bessie Squires of Brandon, Mississippi. She has 4 grandchildren: Bobbie Dever, Betty Jo Pickett, Greg Perry, Debra Kinman and 9 great grandchildren.
Grace was known for her many talents including gardening, sewing, carpentry, and hair styling and was often called upon by friends for her skills.
She developed a life-long interest in medicine after attending high school in Hindman where she boarded with a physician's family and served as his assistant. She was nicknamed "Doc Pickett" for her ability to diagnose and treat minor illnesses and injuries.
Funeral services for Mrs. Roberts will be conducted 1:00 pm, Monday, Feb. 28 in the chapel of the Eckler-McDaniel Funeral Home, Dry Ridge with Rev. Keith Blair officiating.
Visitation will be there on Sunday from 5-8 pm.
Burial will be in the Corinth Cemetery.
1910 Knott Co KY Census Lower Carr District 0087
128 130 Smith Richard Head M W 31 M2 5 KY KY KY Farm Laborer General Farm
128 130 Smith Maggie Wife F W 23 M 5 3 3 KY KY KY
128 130 Smith John Son M W 5 S KY KY KY
128 130 Smith Sally Daughter F W 3 S KY KY KY
128 130 Smith Jerry Son M W 1 7/12 S KY KY KY
128 130 Smith Rosco Brother in law M W 21 S KY KY KY Farm Laborer Working out
128 130 Smith Malinda Mother F W 69 Wd KY KY KY
129 131 Smith Thomas Head M W 25 M 6 KY KY KY Farmer General Farm
129 131 Smith Vina Wife F W 24 M 6 2 2 KY KY KY
129 131 Smith George Son M W 4 S KY KY KY
129 131 Smith Oma Daughter F W 2 S KY KY KY
130 131 Smith Riley Head M W 28 M1 10 KY KY KY Farmer General Farm
130 131 Smith Nanny Wife F W 24 M 10 5 3 KY KY KY
130 131 Smith Garland Son M W 5 S KY KY KY
130 131 Smith Corbet Son M W 4 S KY KY KY
130 131 Smith Gratis Daughter F W 11/12 S KY KY KY
131 133 Fuller Elijah Head M W 63 Wd KY VA VA Farmer General Farm
131 133 Fuller Lurania Daughter F W 16 S KY KY KY
132 134 Smith Hilliard Head M W 55 M 30 KY KY KY Farmer General Farm
132 134 Smith Melda Wife F W 48 M 30 9 9 KY KY KY
132 134 Smith William Son M W 13 S KY KY KY Farm Laborer Working Out
132 134 Smith Lige Son M W 8 S KY KY KY
132 134 Smith Larcena Daughter F W 5 S KY KY KY