Noah Milburn Reynolds b 9 Nov 1808 VA d 23 Jan 1884 Letcher Co KY; buried Reynolds Cemetery, Seco, Letcher Co KY; s/o Thomas Reynolds and Phoebe Harrell. Noah Milburn Reynolds m. 1834 to Mary Chaney Stone b 24 Aug 1814 VA d 17 Jun 1890; d/o William Stone and Frances Jessee. Children of Noah Milburn Reynolds and Mary Chaney Stone Reynolds;
1. Sarah Ann Reynolds b 14 Mar 1833 Scott Co VA d 2 Sept 1892 Wayne Co WV; buried Mount Vernon Cemetery, Wayne Co WV; m. 1848 to Jonas Powers 1848 b 1 Sept 1820 Scott Co VA d 1 Oct 1899 Wayne Co WV; buried Mount Vernon Cemetery, Wayne Co WV; s/o Forrest M Powers and Mary Polly Alley.
2. Eliza Catherine Reynolds b 1835 Scott Co VA; m. 22 Nov 1855 to Nelson Nelt Craft b 7 Sept 1834 d 20 Jul 1916; s/o Archelous Craft and Letty Webb. Nelson Nelt Craft m. (2) to Julie Parks b 20 Dec 1865 d 23 Mar 1953.
3. William Henry Reynolds b 28 Feb 1837 Russell Co VA d 8 Dec 1890 Seco, Letcher Co KY; buried Reynolds Cemetery, Seco, Letcher Co KY; m. 4 Mar 1859 Letcher Co KY to Frances Matilda Baker b 23 Apr 1844 Floyd Co KY d 26 Mar 1927 Seco, Letcher Co KY; buried Reynolds Cemetery, Seco, Letcher Co KY; d/o Henry Baker and Mary Catherine Privett. (These are Annette Potter's Great Grandparents).
4. Stephen Nathaniel Reynolds b 1838 d Jun 1877 Letcher Co KY; buried Reynolds Family Cemetery with a Civil War Military stone; m. Drusilla Siller Craft b 7 Apr 1839 Perry Co KY d 27 Aug 1876; d/o Joseph Craft Sr and Martha Irby Bates. Stephen Nathaniel Reynolds and his brother William Henry Reynolds were in the 39th KY Mounted Infantry as Union soldiers together.
5. Elizabeth Reynolds b 1839; m. Benjamin Bentley b 1839; s/o John Quiller Bentley and Margaret Peggy Hamilton
6. Frances Jane Reynolds b 1845 VA.
7. Joseph Coleman Reynolds Sr (Known as Josiah in Volume II of the Letcher Co., Family Histories) b 26 Nov 1847 VA d 18 Nov 1930 Union, Lewis Co, Washington State; buried 19 Nov 1930 the Claquato Cemetery, Chehalis, Lewis County, Washington State; m. 29 Feb 1868 Letcher Co., KY (1) Mary Minerva Morgan b 15 Mar 1850 Letcher Co KY d 29 Mar 1904 Letcher Co KY of Tuberculosis; d/o James Jim Morgan and Mary Emily Polly. Joseph Coleman Reynolds m. 2 Mar 1901 Millstone, Letcher Co KY to (2) Hortense Lee Friley b 26 May 1861 Roanoke, Russell Co VA d 27 Oct 1943 Lexington, Fayette Co KY; buried Lexington KY Cemetery next to daughter, Marjorie Lee Reynolds Rogers. Hortense Lee Friley was the d/o Rachel Lee adopted by Isaac Friley.
8. John Christopher Reynolds b 1851 Scott Co VA d Seco KY; m. 4 Jan 1871 to Eliza Craft b 1852 Letcher Co KY; d/o Joseph Craft and Martha Irby Bates.
9. Mary Chaney Reynolds b 8 Mar 1852 VA d 3 Apr 1926 Huntington, Cabell Co WV; buried Powers Cemetery, Cabell Co WV; m. 20 May 1868 to Wade Hampton Powers b 17 Jul 1835 Scott Co VA d 4 Jul 1923 Huntington, Cabell Co WV; buried Powers Cemetery, Cabell Co WV; d/o Forrest Meaker Powers and Mary Polly Alley.
10. Noah Milburn Cuge Reynolds b 15 Dec 1855 Letcher Co KY d 20 Apr 1923 Mayo Clinic TN; buried Well Springs Cemetery, near Lafollette, Campbell Co TN; m. 15 Nov 1879 Blountsville, TN to Martha Ann Craft b 12 Sept 1860 Craftsville, KY d 16 Sept 1951 TN; buried Well Springs Cemetery, near Lafollette, Campbell Co TN; d/o John Henderson Craft and Nancy Jane Caudill. Well Springs Cemetery Photos.
11. George Howard Harvey Reynolds b 19 Jun 1859 KY
12. Martha Reynolds b abt 1866 KY
1850 Scott Co VA Census
944 Reynolds Noah 42 M Farmer 800 VA
944 Reynolds Mary C. 34 F VA
944 Reynolds Eliza C. 15 F VA
944 Reynolds William H. 14 M VA
944 Reynolds Stephan N. 13 M VA
944 Reynolds Elizabeth E. 8 F VA
944 Reynolds Frances J. 5 F VA
944 Reynolds Joseph C. 3 M VA
1860 Letcher Co KY Census Precinct 2
141 141 Reynolds Noah 53 M Brick Mason 1500 1150 VA
141 141 Reynolds Mary 45 F VA
141 141 Reynolds Drewsiler 21 F KY
141 141 Reynolds Elizabeth 19 F VA
141 141 Reynolds Joseph 12 M VA
141 141 Reynolds John 9 M VA
141 141 Reynolds Mary 7 F VA
1870 Letcher Co KY Census Precinct 2
40 40 Reynolds Noah 62 M W Farmer 300 300 VA
40 40 Reynolds Mary C 55 F W Keeping House VA
40 40 Reynolds John 19 M W VA Attends School
40 40 Reynolds Noah 15 M W KY Attends School Can't Read Can't Write
40 40 Reynolds Harvey 11 M W KY " " " " " "
40 40 Reynolds Martha 4 F W KY
41 41 Taylor Nathan 53 M W Farmer 250 150 KY Can't Read Can't Write
41 41 Taylor Polley 58 F W Keeping (House) VA
41 41 Taylor Mary 18 F W NC Attends School Can't Read Can't Write
41 41 Taylor Zilda 15 F W NC Can't Read Can't Write
42 42 Reynolds Henry 32 M W Farmer 250 200 VA
42 42 Reynolds Frances 25 F W Keeping House KY Can't Write
42 42 Reynolds Martha 10 F W KY attends school
42 42 Reynolds Noah 4 M W KY
42 42 Reynolds William 1 M W KY
1880 Cawman, Letcher Co KY Census
619 620 Reynolds Noah W M 24 M Married 1879/80 Brick Mason KY VA VA
619 620 Reynolds Marth A W F 19 Wife M Married 1879/80 Keeping House Can't Write KY KY KY
620 624 Reynolds Noah W M 72 Head M Brick Mason VA MD MD
620 624 Reynolds Mary C W F 66 Wife M Keeping House VA VA VA
621 625 Reynolds Joseph W M 19 M Farmer KY KY KY
621 625 Reynolds Nancy E W F 22 Wife M Keeping House Can't Read Can't Write KY KY KY
621 625 Reynolds Martha W F 1 Daughter S KY KY KY
621 625 Reynolds Mary W F 1 Daughter S KY KY KY
621 625 Reynolds Noah C W M 16 Brother Works on farm Attends School Can't Rd Can't Write KY KY KY
621 625 Reynolds John C W M 14 Brother S Works on farm Attends School Can't Rd Can't Write KY KY KY
621 625 Reynolds Ida A W F 12 Sister at home Attends School Can't Rd Can't Write KY KY KY
621 625 Reynolds Stephen M W M 10 Brother S Works on farm Attends School Can't Rd Can't Write KY KY KY
622 626 Reynolds John C W M 29 M Farmer VA VA VA
622 626 Reynolds Eliza W F 26 Wife M Keeping House KY KY KY
622 626 Reynolds Martha J W F 8 Daughter S attends school KY VA KY
622 626 Reynolds Mary C W F 6 Daughter S KY VA KY
622 626 Reynolds Joseph H W M 3 Son S KY VA KY
622 626 Reynolds Noah M W M 1 Son S KY VA KY
623 627 Reynolds Henry W M 40 Head M Brick Mason VA VA VA
623 627 Reynolds Matilda W F 35 Wife M Keeping House can't write KY NC NC
623 627 Reynolds Martha J W F 19 Daughter S KY VA KY
623 627 Reynolds Noah W M 14 Son S works on farm attends school can't write KY VA KY
623 627 Reynolds William H W M 12 Son S works on farm attends school can't write KY VA KY
623 627 Reynolds Druciller W F 9 Daughter S attends school KY VA KY
623 627 Reynolds Mary C W F 5 Daughter S KY VA KY
623 627 Reynolds Eliza W F 3 Daughter S KY VA KY
623 627 Reynolds John W M 6/12 Nov Son S KY VA KY
The Mountain Eagle
Whitesburg, Letcher Co., Kentucky
Thursday, Jan 22 1942
by J Wash Adams
The first Sunday School in this county, was organized by Mrs. Chenie (Chaney) Reynolds, wife of Noah Reynolds, at the place now known as Seco. The Reynolds came at the close of the war (Revolutionary War), from East Virginia. The men in the family were brick masons and built the first brick house in Letcher County, for their home. They burned their own brick, then burned brick for the court house, and built it. They built the house across the street for W. H. Nichols. They were good, progressive people, good citizens, belonging to the Methodist Church. Mrs. Reynolds had a great deal of opposition to her Sunday School in that day. It was a new venture in the mountains, where anything new is thoroughly studied before being accepted.
Seco is located on the old Reynolds farm, the place where our county judge, Dr B. F. Wright, grew up, and is now practicing medicine. Seco is on the north-east side of Boonesfork. Boonesfork takes its name from Daniel Boone who, at the junction of the Kentucky River and Boonesfork, carved his name on a beech tree.
At the junction of these two streams, Captain M.V. Bates, the world's biggest man in his day, was born and grew to manhood. He was 7 feet and 11 inches tall, and weighed 496 pounds. He served as captain in the Rebel army, with Lieutenant J. L. Craft, and was captured by the Yankees near the close of the Civil War. He was placed on a Big Sandy boat and exhibited as "Jeff Davis' Baby".
Soon after the war was over he joined the John Robinson Shows. His tours with the show took him all over the civilized world. While in England at London, Queen Victoria presented him with a large watch, about the size of a saucer, as a gift from "the largest city in the world to the largest man."
Captain Bates married the world's largest woman (Anna Swann), who is said to have weighed 598 pounds and was 8 feet tall.