George Franklin Johnson
and Mary Belle Polly Mullins
George Franklin Johnson b 29 Oct 1873 Pike Co KY d 18 Sept 1955 Virgie, Pike Co KY; s/o Benjamin "BF" Johnson and Elizabeth Wright. George Franklin Johnson m. 24 Jul 1890 Pike Co KY to Mary Belle "Polly" Mullins b 16 Jul 1872 Pike Co KY d 20 Mar 1913; d/o Spencer Mullins and Elizabeth Johnson. Children of George Franklin Johnson and Mary Belle Polly Mullins;
George Franklin G F Johnson - Photo Submitted by Kevin Hall - Hall and Johnson Associates - Facebook - 3/25/2014
Mary Belle Polly Mullins Johnson - Photo Submitted by Kevin Hall - Hall and Johnson Associates - Facebook - 3/25/2014
1. Conley Johnson b 24 Oct 1891 d 25 Dec 1945; m. (2) Fannie Childers. Children of Conley Johnson and Fannie Childress; i. Lowell Johnson b 13 Jul 1921; m. Ruth Kinney. ii. Eugene Poe Johnson b 12 Feb 1923; m. Dorothy Johnson iii. Marietta Johnson b 10 Oct 1924; m. Virgil Moore iv. Fannie Johnson b 2 Oct 1926; m. Orville Porchie Clark v. Anna Lee Johnson b 15 Aug 1929; m. Tom Mobley. vi. Male Johnson vii. Conley Johnson Jr; m. Female Monroe.
Conley Johnson m. (1) to Myrtle Perry. Children of Conley Johnson and Myrtle Perry; i. Morris Johnson b 5 Dec 1916 ii. Jessie Johnson b 28 Oct 1918.
2. Clara Mae Johnson b 14/24 Oct 1893 d 30 Dec 1943 Virgie, Pike Co KY; m. 1912 Virgie, Pike Co KY to Thomas Crittendon Crit Childers b 22 Dec 1888 Pike Co KY d 3 Jul 1933; buried family cemetery, Virgie, KY; s/o Samuel Houston Childers and Henrietta Etty Greer. Child of Thomas Crittendon Childress and Clara Mae Johnson; i. Roy Childress b 16 Apr 1920 Virgie, Pike Co KY d 9 Dec 1994 Manteca, San Joaquin, CA
3. Jenning Bryan Johnson b 1896 Pike Co KY d 21 Mar 1961; military service Navy WWI; m. 29 May 1920 Shelbiana Pike Co KY to Barbara Gladys "Bobbie" Syck b 8 Oct 1900 Pike Co KY d 6 Apr 1981 Pike Co KY; d/o Richard Hutchcraft Syck and Margaret Ramsey. Children of Jenning Bryan Johnson and Barbara Gladys Syck;
i. Ruthie J Johnson b 15 Apr 1936 Virgie Pike Co KY d 27 Jan 1974 Pike Co KY.
ii. George R Johnson b 20 Sept 1928 Pike Co KY.
iii. Female Johnson.
4. Legrande Johnson b 1897 (male)
5. Lon Johnson; m. Edith Bentley
6. Pearl Victoria Edna Johnson d as infant
7. Guy F Johnson b 2 Dec 1902 d 16 Jul 1958 Fayette Co KY; m. Thursia Lusk.
8. Draxie Johnson b 2/12 Apr 1905 d 7 Sept 1966; m. 1921 to John Branham. Children of John Branham and Draxie Johnson;
i. Theodore T "T T" Branham b 21 Feb 1921 Pike Co KY.
ii. James O Branham b 17 Sept 1922 Pike Co KY d 1942.
iii. Georgia Branham b 5 Feb 1925 Pike Co KY.
9. Fon Johnson b 1907; m. (1) Sue Branham. Fon Johnson m. (2) to Nora Newsome
George Franklin Johnson
and Vesta Roberts
George Franklin Johnson b 29 Oct 1873 Pike Co KY d 18 Sept 1955 Virgie, Pike Co KY; s/o Benjamin "BF" Johnson and Elizabeth Wright. George Franklin Johnson m. 1915 to Vesta Roberts b abt 1890 KY; d/o G. C. Roberts. Children of George Franklin Johnson and Vesta Roberts;
1. Marie Johnson b abt 1917 KY (teacher elementery school in 1940 census)
2. Woodroe Johnson b abt 1918 KY (teacher elementery school in 1940 census)
3. Stanley Johnson b abt 1918 KY
4. George Franklin Johnson b abt 1921 KY
5. Irene Johnson b abt 1923 KY
6. Ruby Johnson b abt 1925 KY
7. Charles Johnson b abt 1929 KY
8. Hobert Clay Johnson b abt 1932 KY
History of Kentucky
William Elsey Connelley
and Ellis Merton Coulter
George F. Johnson. Virgie, in Pike County, is one of the busy mining centers in Kentucky. Its leading merchant and postmaster is George F. Johnson, a thorough and capable business man, possessed of a fund of energy that his friends regard as inexhaustible. He grew up in a store, and has known merchandising as a vocation since boyhood. Mr. Johnson was born on Long Fork in Pike County, near the Letcher County line, October 29, 1873, son of Benjamin F. and Elizabeth (Wright) Johnson.
Both the Johnson and Wright families have lived in this section of Kentucky for a great many years. They have exhibited considerable diversity in some of their allegiances. Benjamin F. Johnson is a democrat, while his brother is a republican, and the Wright family was divided in allegiance during the Civil war, fighting on both sides, though Elizabeth Wright's immediate family were Union people. B. F. Johnson has been a merchant of Pike County for forty years at Etty, and has been as successful as a farmer as in other affairs. He is now sixty-seven years of age. His father, William Johnson, came to Pike County from North Carolina. The wife of B. F. Johnson died February 19, 1919, at the age of sixty-three.
George F. Johnson is the only son of ten children, and all his nine sisters are still living and all were born in Pike or Letcher counties. He acquired his early education in country schools, going to school until he was seventeen, and then for seventeen years was as sociated with his father in business. In 1911 he opened his stock of goods at Virgie, and carries a splendid assortment of general merchandise. He is also the local postmaster and attends to the local railroad business and for one term was justice of the peace. In 1890, at the age of seventeen, Mr. Johnson married Miss Mary Mullins, daughter of Spencer Mullins, of Pike County, this family living on Beef Hide Creek. Mrs. Johnson died in 1913. She was the mother of nine children, eight of whom are living. Bryan, the oldest son, was in the navy during the World war, and his service took him to many parts of the world.
In 1915 George F. Johnson married Miss Vista Roberts, daughter of G. C. Roberts, of Owsley County, Kentucky. By this union he has four children. Mrs. Johnson is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. Fraternally he is a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason, with membership in the Covington Consistory. In politics he is a democrat.