John Calvin Potter b 30 Jan 1897 Neon, Letcher Co KY d 9 Feb 1956 Elizabethton, Carter Co TN; buried Happy Valley Cemetery, Carter Co TN; occupation, Coal Miner and a Farmer; s/o Reuben Potter and Arminda Hall. John Calvin Potter m. 4 Jul 1917 Letcher Co KY to Hattie Rosemond Holcomb b 27 Feb 1903 Letcher Co KY d 24 Mar 1972 Elizabethton, Carter Co TN; buried Happy Valley Cemetery, Carter Co TN; d/o Prince Edward Holcomb and Cora Phynetta Holbrook. Children of John Calvin Potter and Hattie Rosemond Holcomb;
1. Herbert Potter b 1918 d 1918
2. Lola Potter b 1919 d 1919
3. Willie T Potter b 24 May 1920 Letcher Co KY d 10 Mar 2003; m. 14 Oct 1939 to Rebecca June Vanover b 10 Sept 1919 Dorton, Pike Co KY d 11 Dec 2005 Cincinnati OH; d/o Benjamin H Vanover and Della Rose Johnson.
4. Charlsie Virginia Potter b 3 Aug 1922 d 8 Sept 2005; m. 19 Jun 1942 to (1) Heirl Julian. Charlsie Virginia Potter m. (2) to Warren Gullis
5. Edith Evangeline Potter b 2 Oct 1924 Goose Creek, Letcher Co KY; m. 14 Jul 1942 to (1) Hall Cordell. Edith Evangeline Potter m. (2) Marshall Shlagle. Edith Evangeline Potter m. (3) to Gary Prince.
6. Arminda Potter b 28 Aug 1927 d Hemphill, Letcher Co KY; m. 16 Feb 1945 to Tee McMahan. Arminda Potter m. (2) to Frank Smith. Arminda Potter m. (3) to Charles Hubbard.
7. Cora Princie Phymetta Potter b 30 Dec 1929 Goose Creek, Letcher Co KY d 30 Aug 2010 Pike Co KY; buried Haven of Rest Cemetery, Mayking, Letcher Co KY; m. 10 Nov 1951 to Arnold Hern McPeek b 8 Mar 1927 Dorton, Pike Co KY d 22 Oct 2009 Dorton, Pike Co KY; buried Haven of Rest Cemetery, Mayking, Letcher Co KY; s/o Beldon Arthur McPeek and Elsie Pearl Johnson.
8. Normalea Morell Potter b 28 Aug 1932 Goose Creek, Letcher Co KY d Letcher Co KY; m. William "Bill" Hall. Children of William "Bill" Hall and Normalea Potter;
i. Michael Hall b about 1951; Child; Mollianne Hall m. Male Bennett. Thanks to Michael Hall for adding information for this family in our guestbook 12 Aug, 2008.
ii. Della Sue Hall; m. Bobby Brown
9. Geneva Sue Potter b 31 Mar 1942 Goose Creek, Letcher Co KY; m. 28 Jun 1958 to Harry Hurst.
10. James Edward Potter b 20 Dec 1938 Goose Creek, Letcher Co KY d Friday, 29 Jul 2011; m. (1) to Jane Whitehead. James Edward Potter m. (2) to Martha Hinkle. James Edward Potter m. (3) to Jo Unknown. Child of James Edward Potter; i. Donella Potter; m. Male Beasley. Child of Male Beasley and Donella Potter; I. Britni Beasley.
11. John Calvin J C Potter b 8 Dec 1934 Jenkins, Letcher Co KY d 18 Apr 2007 TN; buried Happy Valley Memorial Park, Elizabethton, Carter Co TN; m. 17 Apr 1954 Elizabethton TN to Mary Spence b 11 Mar 1936 Wayne Co WV.
Obituary of Hattie Rosemond Holcomb Potter
February 27, 1903 - March 24, 1972
In Memoriam - March 24, 1972 - Mrs. Hattie Potter. Mrs. Hattie Potter, 69 Route 1 Elizabethton, died at 1 p.m. Friday in the Carter County Memorial Hospital following an illness of one week. Mrs. Potter was a native of Kentucky, having lived in Elizabethton for the past thirty-one years, and was preceded in death by her husband, John Calvin Potter, in 1956. She was a member of the Carter County Memorial Hospital Auxiliary and Senior Citizens Club. Mrs Potter was a member of the Roan Street Church of God. Survivors are six daughters, Mrs. Charlcie Ollis, East Lake, Ohio; Mrs. Edith Price, Willoughby, Ohio; Mrs. Armanda McMahan, Hampton; Mrs. Cora McPeek, and Mrs. Morell Hall, both of Elizabethton, and Mrs. Sue Hurst, Cincinnati, Ohio; three sons, Willie T. Potter, Cincinnati, Ohio; John Calvin Potter Jr., Brunswick, Ohio, and James Edward Potter, Jonesboro; three sisters, Mrs. Edna Venters, Sebring, Fla.; Mrs. Victora Crase, West Union, Ohio, and Mrs. Ival Franklin, Cincinnati, Ohio; one brother, Willie Holcomb, Charry Fork, Ohio; twenty-eight grandchildren and twenty great grandchildren also survive. Hathaway - Percy Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Obituary of James Edward Potter
December 20, 1938 - July 29, 2011
Mr. James Edward Potter, 72, of Elizabethton died Friday, July 29, 2011 in Life Care of Elizabethton. A native of Letcher County, KY he was the son of the late John Calvin and Hattie Rosemond Holcomb Potter. Mr. Potter was a retired auto mechanic and he attended Doe River Freewill Baptist Church. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by three sisters and two brothers. Survivors include a daughter, Donella Beasley, Elizabethton; a granddaughter, Britni Beasley, Elizabethton and three sisters, Arminda McMahan, Hampton; Morell Hall, Elizabethton and Sue Hurst, Dandridge, TN. Several nieces and nephews also survive. Private disposition for Mr. James Edward Potter will be held at a later date.