George W Caudill
and Mary Whitaker
George W Caudill b 5 Oct 1863 d 2 Feb 1946 Tolson Creek, Letcher Co KY; buried Mose Whitaker Cemetery, Tolson, Letcher Co KY; s/o William J "Stiller Bill" Caudill and Nancy Dixon. George W Caudill m. 10 Mar 1881 to Mary Whitaker b 11 Oct 1863 Tolson Creek, Letcher Co KY d 2 Jun 1954 Roxana, Letcher Co KY; buried Mose Whitaker Cemetery, Tolson, Letcher Co KY; d/o Moses E. Whitaker b 22 Oct 1837 Roxana, Letcher Co KY and Anna Ison b 9 Nov 1835. Children of George W Caudill and Mary Whitaker;
1. William Willie Caudill b 27 Jan 1882 Roxana, Letcher Co, KY d 14 Oct 1973; m. 9 Jan 1901 Letcher Co, KY to Armilda Frazier b 14 Jun 1874 Smoot Creek, Letcher Co KY d 6 Apr 1932; d/o Jonathan H. "Jont" Frazier b 6 Jan 1845 Smoot Creek, Letcher Co, KY and Leodicia "Dicy" Combs b 9 Feb 1852.
2. Loucinda Caudill b Jan 1884 KY; m. 1908 Letcher Co KY to Sam Boggs; s/o Joseph "Joe" Boggs b 1857 Wise Co VA and Minerva Ingram b 1855 Linefork, Letcher Co KY
3. Louanna Caudill b 10 May 1886 KY d 15 May 1926; m. 29 Dec 1905 in the home of Elder James Dickson, Elk Creek, Letcher Co KY to
Marion Frazier b 28 Feb 1880 Smootcreek, Letcher Co KY d 16 Jan 1938 Letcher Co KY; occupation, Salesman, Merchant, Postmaster, member of the Regular Baptist Church; s/o Jonathon H "Jont" Frazier and Leodicia "Dicy" Combs.
4. Ardelia Caudill b 23 Oct 1888 d 19 May 1922; m. George Bee Ison b 25 May 1879 d 28 Mar 1958; s/o Jesse Ison b 1849 and Frances "Fannie" Whitaker b 7 Jan 1844 Letcher Co, KY. Child of Ardelia Caudill and George Bee Ison;
i. Manus Ison; m. Mary Watts; d/o Esquire Watts b 28 Dec 1880 and Celia Caudill b 8 Oct 1872.
5. Boyd Caudill b Feb 1890 KY
6. Susan Caudill b 7 Sept 1892 Letcher Co KY d 14 Sept 1930 Letcher Co KY; m. 5 Oct 1921 Letcher Co KY to Esquire Eldridge b 12 Dec 1889 d 1 Sept 1968 KY; s/o Matthew C. Eldridge b 13 Nov 1859 Letcher Co KY and Ozina Fields b 16 Feb 1863 Letcher Co, KY. Esquire Eldridge m. (1) to Dora Hensley (no children). Esquire Eldridge m. (2) to Ada Watts (she and baby died during childbirth). Esquire Eldridge m. (3) to Susan Caudill. Esquire Eldridge m. (4) to
Mary Polly Mullins Combs, a widow.
7. Milton Caudill b Apr 1895 KY
8. Corbett Caudill b Nov 1898 KY
9. Emma Caudill; m. 1 Mar 1920 Letcher Co KY to Corbett Hogg b Oct 1894 d Sept 1942; s/o Farish Hogg and Minnie Lee Frazier.
Obituary: Mary Whitaker Caudill
11 Oct 1863 - 2 Jun 1954
Mt Eagle Newspaper, Thursday, July 1, 1954
Whitesburg, Letcher County KY
Mrs. Mary Caudill, 90 Is Called By Death: Mrs Mary Caudill, age 90 years, passed away at her home in Roxana June 21st 1954. She had suffered a stroke several days prior to that time.
Mrs. Caudill was the daughter of the late Mose Whitaker and Ann Ison Whitaker and had spent most of her life in Roxana (Kentucky). She had been a member of the Regular Baptist Church for the past twenty-five years.
Her husband, George W. Caudill preceded her in death eight years ago.
Survivors include sons, Willie Caudill, of Roxana, Corbett Caudill, of DuPont, Indiana; also the daughters, Mrs. Ora Burke, Roxana, Mrs. Loretta Holcomb, Verso and Mrs. Virgie Hogg, Dayton, Ohio. Six children deceased were parents of eleven children. Other survivors include 63 grand children, 131 great grand children and 41 great great grandchildren.
She was the aunt of George Caudill of Reedy's and Julia Dixon and Ann Caudill of Blackey.
Funeral services were held on Wednesday, June 23rd, 1954 at the residence at 10:00 A.M., with Elders Cullen Hogg, L. M. Back, and Caleb Creech, officiating.
Burial took place in the Whitaker Cemetery at the mouth of Tolson. Craft Funeral Home in charge.
Home Going of Aunt Mary Whitaker Caudill: Mrs. Mary Whitaker Caudill, daughter of the late Moses E. and Anna Ison Whitaker, born Oct 11, 1863 on Tolson Creek, in Letcher County, died June 21, at 6:45, 1954. She went to her reward, at the age of 90 years 8 months, 10 days.
She grew to womanhood together with her two brothers George and Elijah and six sisters, Cinda, Cynthia Ann, Peggy, Belle and Nellie, all of whom preceded her in death except Mrs. Belle Stewart, who is near her four score years.
She married George W Caudill on March 10, 1881, who passed this life on February 2, 1946 at the age of 83 years. To them were born four sons and seven daughters, all lived to be fathers and mothers.
Those who survive her are Willie, age 72 years and Ora of Roxana, Corbitt and Loretta of Indiana and Virgie of Dayton, Ohio.
The following having passed this life, Mrs. Cinda Boggs, Ardella Ison, Louana Frazier, Susan Eldridge, Milton and Boyd.
She also helped to rear ten of her grandchildren. The offsprings of this aged couple are many, 11 children, sixty-three grand children, 131 great grand children, and forty one great, great grandchildren, total of 246. This number is seldom exceeded.
She was baptised into the fellowship of the Indian Bottom Regular Baptist Church near half a century ago, where her fellowship remained to her end. Many of her relatives have fellowship in this old church, her great greandfather, Isaac Whitaker, was clerk in the organization in 1910.
After the death of her husband and her children had gone out in the world for themselves, she still remained in the old home, and she said: "many days and nights I stayed alone, but the Lord was with me."
She leaves behind her no enemies, this is a record seldom equaled.
Her relatives and friends can hardly overcome the shock of realizing the stillness of this body, that has been active among them so long. She has passed over into a world of which we know so little about, but hear so much spoken of. We have no doubt about the resting place of this soul, it will be found resting upon the right hand of God in Judgement. Thus another old-time sainted mother has been moved from our midst. "To die is Gain."
Elds. J. P. Back and W. C. Hogg officiated at the funeral and burial in the Home Cemetery at Willie Caudill's. -- Written by R. B. Caudill.