and Leona Smith
Children of Green Fuller and Wives, Leona Smith and Margaret Amburgey, and Children of Leona Smith and Jim Hale. L-R: Arzella Hale Caudill, (d/o Jim Hale and Leona Smith), Robert Bobby Fuller, Minnie Fuller McIntyre, Elijah Lige Fuller, Ida Fuller Potter, Delzie B Fuller, and Bessie Fuller Shotton, (children of Green Fuller and Leona Smith), Thomas Tommy Hale, (s/o Jim Hale and Leona Smith) and Ada Fuller Bowen, (d/o Green Fuller and Margaret Amburgey). Green "G" Fuller, William Billy Fuller and Iva Fuller Ritchie, Are Missing From Photo. (Of the missing ones, Green G Fuller was s/o Green Fuller and Leona Smith; and William Billy Fuller and Iva Fuller were children of Green Fuller and Margaret Amburgey)
and Leona Smith
Elijah "Green" Fuller b 1874 Knott Co KY d about 1929; s/o Elijah Bunt Fuller b 1845 KY and Martha Combs b 1858. Elijah "Green" Fuller m. 29 Mar 1909 Smithsboro, Knott Co KY to (2) Leona Smith b 14 Apr 1884 Smithsboro, Knott Co KY d 12 Sept 1966; buried Isom Cemetery, Isom KY; behind the Presbyterian Church; d/o Hilliard J Smith and Armelda "Melda" Combs. Leona Smith m. (1) to Jim Hale. Leona Smith m. (3) to Joel Martin Potter. Children of Elijah "Green" Fuller 1877 and Leona Smith;
|Green Fuller 1877 - 1929 - Photo Submitted by Marjorie Shotton
Leona Smith Fuller
L-R: Minnie Fuller McIntyre and Ida Fuller Potter
L-R: Bessie Fuller Shotton and Arzella Hale Caudill
L-R: Annette Potter, Leona Smith Fuller, Ida Fuller Potter and Leona Carlene Potter Burkland - Daughter, Ida and Granddaughters With Ida's Mother, Leona Smith Fuller
1. Green "G" Fuller b 13 Jun 1908 d 19 Nov 1934 Vicco, Perry Co KY; age 26 years. Green G Fuller m. (1) Janie Sergent. Green G Fuller m. (2) Pearl Hall. Green G Fuller m. (3) Grace Breeding b 16 Dec 1912 d 27 Nov 2000; buried Green Mound Cemetery, Kilbourne, Delaware Co OH; d/o John D Breeding and Martha Isom. Green "G" Fuller died in the mines at Carr Fork Coal Co, Vicco, KY at age 25. Our Mom, Ida Fuller Potter, and her siblings often spoke about this tragedy and believed it to be murder by a Goebel Combs. Goebel Combs was convicted of murder for the stabbing of their cousin, Corbett Smith. Greem "G" Fuller was a very handsome and talented young man. He played music in the theater for the the silent films and did many other shows for various local festivities. Our mom told us that "G" was talented enough to be a professional musician. She said that he could play any musical instrument that he set his mind to play. He entertained locally and for all his friends and neighbors. Grace Breeding m. 12 Dec 1944 Whitesburg, Letcher Co KY to (2) James O Boston b 17 Dec 1912 d 27 Noc 2000; buried Mound View Cemetery, Mount Vernon, Knox Co OH.
2. Bessie Fuller b 27 Jan 1910 Knott Co KY d 10 May 1997 Lynch, Harlan Co KY; m. Robert "Bob" Shotton and lived in Lynch, KY. Bessie and Bob Shotton had several children. Aunt Bessie, Aunt Minnie and our Mom, Ida had great times together. They would entertain us with their music and tell great stories. We miss our Aunts and Uncles a lot. Uncle Bob Shotton was previously married to ?
3. Ida Fuller b 27 Jul 1912 d 1 Jul 2007 Pasadena, TX; buried Pearland TX; m. about 1942 to Creed Flannery Potter b 1 Sept 1902 d Jan 1959; buried Reynolds Family Cemetery, Seco, Letcher Co KY; s/o Joel Martin Mart Potter and Eliza Frances Reynolds.
5. Minnie Fuller b 8 Jan 1914 d 1 May 1986 Houston, TX; m. Homer McIntyre b 28 Jul 1909 d May 1980, Rye, Liberty, TX; s/o Benjamin McIntyre and Hester Whitaker. Aunt Minnie and Uncle Homer lived here in Houston with all of us, so we were fortunate enough to get to see a lot of both of them. They are both passed on, now, but I loved my Aunt Minnie very much and she was a really great person. She and uncle Homer are both buried here in Houston, Texas.
6. Delzie "B" Fuller b 14 Aug 1915 d 28 Jan 1986; m. Golda "Goldie" Adams b 28 Aug 1916 d 16 Feb, 1973; d/o Squire Adams and Annie Ison.
7. Elijah "Lige" Fuller b 9 Jan 1919 Isom, Letcher Co., KY d Oct 1983 Isom, KY; m. Alpha Banks b 7 Feb 1924 Letcher Co KY; d/o John Banks. (Alpha's Siblings; Bessie and Junior Banks). Children of Elijah "Lige" Fuller and Alpha Banks; i. Charlott Fuller b abt 1949 ii. Roger Gale Fuller b abt 1947 iii. Delza Fuller b abt 1943 iv. Cecil Fuller b abt 1941
8. Robert Lee "Bobby" Fuller b 22 Apr, 1927 d 9 Oct 1991 Letcher Co KY; m. Joy Fay Ables b about 1927 d Sept 2008; d/o Riley J Ables and Della Maggard. Uncle Bobby and Aunt Joy were always so good to us when we visited them. Uncle Bobby would spend lots of time with us kids and he taught me (Annette Potter) how to shoot a bb gun. He and Aunt Joy were so sweet and kind to us and Aunt Joy always cooked wonderful meals for all of us who visited her and Uncle Bobby.
Leona Smith and
James Jim Hale
Leona Smith b 14 Apr 1884 Smithsboro, Knott Co., KY d 12 Sept 1966; buried Isom Cemetery, Isom KY behind the Presbyterian Church; d/o Hilliard J Smith and Armelda "Melda" Combs. Leona Smith m. 1900 to (1) James "Jim" Hale; s/o Thomas Hale and Matilda Smith.
and Margaret Amburgey
Elijah "Green" Fuller b Sept 1877 Knott Co KY d about 1929; s/o Elijah "Bunt" Fuller b 1845 KY and Martha Combs b 1858. Elijah "Green" Fuller m. 16 Sept 1895 to (1st) Margaret Amburgey b 12 Mar 1879; d/o Alfred Amburgey and Elizabeth Amburgey. Elijah "Green" Fuller m. (2) to Leona Smith. Leona Smith m. (1) to Jim Hale. Leona Smith m. (3) to Joel Martin Potter. Children of Elijah "Green" Fuller and Margaret Amburgey;
1. William "Billy" Riley Fuller b Sept 1899 d Lexington, Fayette Co KY. (never married).
2. Ada Fuller b 10 Sept 1901 d 21 Dec 1977 Lexington, Fayette Co KY; m. 9 May 1917 Pine Top KY by Alex Hale, in the presence of Linsey Amburgey and H Bowens to (1) Will "Willie" Bowens. (Notes: Attest: W. T. Francis - County Court Clerk Book 10 pg 141. Ada Fuller m. Unknown.
3. Iva Fuller b 1904; m. Marion Ritchie; s/o John Ritchie (s/o Henry Ritchie and Sarah "Sally" Smith) and Sarah "Sally" Collins.
Leona Smith and
Joel Martin Potter
Leona Smith b 14 Apr 1884 Smithsboro, Knott Co., KY d 12 Sept 1966; buried Isom Cemetery, Isom KY behind the Presbyterian Church; d/o Hilliard J Smith and Armelda "Melda" Combs. Leona Smith m. (3) Joel Martin "Mart" Potter; s/o Abraham Potter and Sarah Sally Wright. Leona and "Mart" married late in life and had no children from their marriage.
Joel Martin Mart Potter and Wife, Leona Smith
More About Leona Smith Fuller
Mammaw Leona Fuller was an extraordinary woman. She raised her own food and made very nice clothes for her family and for other families. She made featherbeds and the ticking. She was the best cook ever and made delicious meals for her large family and boarders, as well. She was the hardest working woman I've ever known and the happiest. Mammaw ran a boarding house where she fed and housed workers that built the roads, bridges, railroads and that worked in the mines.
She lived in a home upon a hill and behind her house was her garden, and her animals; cows, chickens, geese and pigs, her fruit trees, her ice cold spring, and her dug out cellar for keeping her potatoes and other things over the winter.
She canned may things and always had a delicious table set. One of my favorites was her home made butter. I've never found any to compare with hers. The color of the butter she made was white and it was sweet and creamy. Mammaw served that butter with her home made biscuits and cornbread at every meal. That was wonderful eating.
She entertained us all by telling us great funny stories and great scary stories, reading coffee grounds in the bottom of teacups and she sang songs as she played music on the dulcimer. I just loved her very much and I've never met another person like her. When we were at her home, we would sit out on the porch in the good country air, watch the lightening bugs, and listen to stories and tales while the night sounds of the beautiful mountains enveloped us.
Mammaw was a great woman and I can't tell you how much we miss her. Mart Potter died in 1949 and Mammaw died in 1966. Mart is buried in the Potter Family Cemetery in Payne Gap KY. Our Mammaw is buried in the Isom Cemetery, Isom, KY.
Obituary of Leona Smith Fuller
Mt Eagle Newspaper, 18 Aug., 1966
Whitesburg, Letcher County, Kentucky
Mrs. Leona Smith Potter, 82, dies; Services held at Isom: (Letcher County, Kentucky): Funeral services held at Isom Presbyterian Church Sunday for Mrs. Leona Smith Potter, 82. The Rev. Ed Henegar and Elders Clarence Dixon and Willie Frances officiated. Burial was in the Isom Cemetery. (Behind the Presbyterian Church, Isom, Letcher County, Kentucky). Mrs. Potter died Aug. 12, (1966) at the Whitesburge hospital after a week's illness. She was the daughter of the late Hillard and Armelda Combs Smith and was born in Knott County (Kentucky). She was a member of the Missionary Baptist Church in Detroit, Michigan. Surviving are six daughters, Bessie Shotton, Cincinnati; Minnie McIntyre, Houston, Texas; Ida Potter and Ada fuller, both of Lexington (Fayette Co KY); Arzella Caudill, Waynesburg, Kentucky, and Iva Ritchie, Hazard, Kentucky; five sons, Elijah Fuller and Tommy Hale, Detroit Mich. and Delzie Fuller and Robert Fuller, Isom, Kentucky; two sisters, Martha Amburgey, Carr Creek, and Mary Ann Jones, Blackey, Kentucky; a brother, William Smith, Smithsboro, Kentucky; 41 grandchildren. Blair Funeral Home handled funeral arrangements.
1910 Knott Co KY Census Lower Carr
Green Fuller Head M 36 Kentucky
Leona Fuller Wife F 26 Kentucky
Riley Fuller Son M 10 Kentucky
Ada Fuller Dau F 7 Kentucky
Iva Fuller Dau F 5 Kentucky
Zella Fuller Dau F 3 Kentucky
Green Fuller Son M 1 Kentucky
Bessie Fuller Dau F 0 Kentucky
1920 Knott Co KY Census Lower Carr
Green Fuller Head M 48 Kentucky
Leona Fuller Wife F 35 Kentucky
Green Fuller Son M 11 Kentucky
Bessie Fuller Dau F 9 Kentucky
Ida Fuller Dau F 7 Kentucky
Minnie Fuller Dau F 5 Kentucky
Delza B Fuller Son M 4 Kentucky
Elijah Fuller Son M 0 Kentucky